Westar Energy Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Westar Energy Interview Questions

3.3

Power Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in Topeka, KS

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Westar Energy (Topeka, KS) in October 2015.

Interview

Very direct and concise. They know what they looking and go straight to the point. They were also interested in my past history and the skills i learned and how i can apply them to the company. They called for a second interview in a restaurant which was much more relaxing gave me the opportuinity to ask questions.

Interview Questions

• They asked about my knowledge of financial energy trading, They asked about my educational background and my past work experiences and they asked about my goals and what i hope to achieve.   Answer Question

Operations Engineer (1- Senior ) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Topeka, KS

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Westar Energy (Topeka, KS) in June 2015.

Interview

Applied online. 3 was later, hr calls and sets up a 20 mins phone screen the nextra day. 1 wk later, hr called to schedule a phone interview with the hiring panel. 3 days after the phone interview, hr called to schedule a second phone interview...this time with the same team plus the director and vp. Two weeks later, Heard back from hr that I was not selected.

Interview Questions

• Star based Behavioral questions. Expecting set for contingency based on passing the nerc exam.   1 Answer

Engineering Tech II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manhattan, KS

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Westar Energy (Manhattan, KS) in April 2015.

Interview

Took a month and a half or so to get any kind of return correspondence after my application was submitted online. The application online is through a standard Taleo system that many companies use, so that was easy enough. Once I finally got an interview, I came in to meet with a team of three interviewees. One was the human resources manager for the branch office, another was the project manager of the office/operations supervisor, and the third was some sort of team lead. The first two asked me the majority of the questions, while the third just basicaly sat there. They were all pleasant and had nice demeanors, I felt comfortable during the interview. I wore a business suit outfit, and so did the HR manager, but the other two were in jeans and polos. There were about 15-20 questions, and they all were the same for every interviewee and prepared with some generic interview sheet. The questions were all pretty general, nothing too specific. After the interview, it took them about 2 more months to give me a status. I sent thank you notes, called, and emailed. Nothing. Finally I got an email about the position, and it took so long for them to get back to me that I didn't even really want it anymore.

Interview Questions

• What kind of team work projects have you taken in the past? What were the tasks at your last job? Tell me about yourself.   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Westar Energy.

Interview

Tell us about yourself

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Westar doesn't negotiate

Transmission Operation Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Topeka, KS

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Westar Energy (Topeka, KS) in November 2013.

Interview

Applied online and was contacted within several days. Met at the General Office for the interview, where I was interviewed by a hiring manager and two members of his team. The hiring manager was very friendly and clear elaborating about the job opening. Questions were straight forward behavioral/situational questions. Was told to hear final decision within two weeks.

Interview Questions

• What was the most creative project that you have worked on?   1 Answer

Benefits Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Westar Energy.

Interview

Everyone was very nice, open and more than willing to talk about themselves and their role in the company. I got a nice look at who I would be working with and for but in hindsight I wish I knew more about some of the challenges the position and the department faced.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Long. It took over a month from the last interview to get a formal offer.

Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Topeka, KS

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Westar Energy (Topeka, KS).

Interview

It took a few months before I received a call for an interview. HR coordinated everything. Consisted of 3 team interviews and 1 CEO/COO interview. The process was handled very professionally by HR staffing. Went through several team interviews with future boss and peers. They were well prepared with thought provoking questions.

Interview Questions

• They described a scenario that could happen in their business and asked I would handle. I was not from their industry so some of the terms were unknown to me.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Negotiated salary and vacation. They were quick with their responses to counter offers.

Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Topeka, KS

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Westar Energy (Topeka, KS) in July 2013.

Interview

Filled out online application, received phone call to schedule phone interview a few weeks later. Phone interview started with a description of myself and my work history, followed by situational questions to determine if I was a good candidate. Questions included: "Tell me about a time when your poor communication with your boss led to a problem and how did you solve it", "Tell me about a time when you were faced with a difficult project and what was the result", "Tell me about your leadership style", "How will you motivate your employees", and a few general information questions about my availability and location. I was told they would get back with me if I was selected for an on-site interview. Three hours later I received a call from the hiring manager to ask if I wanted to travel to perform an on-site interview. All expenses for the interview were covered including meals, hotels, rental car, airlines, and tolls. On-site interview consisted of the same general question format with more detailed questions about my leadership style and more leadership situational type questions. Interview was followed with a drive to the work location with a detailed discussion of the job in the car on the way there. Very professional interviewers/hiring managers and HR representatives, overall an excellent experience.

Interview Questions

• What is the most challenging task you have ever had and describe in detail how you overcame it, what was the end result.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Salaries are based on a predetermined wage scale. Hiring manager does not discuss salary other than what the pay scale is for the position. All offers and pay negotiation is referred back to HR. Offer was low in the scale based on my limited experience with the specific industry. Benefits package was excellent from the start so no negotiation was required.

Senior Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Westar Energy in June 2013.

Interview

2 in-person interviews....behavior style questions. Long time in follow-up and decisions. They seem to be a bit old fashioned in negotiations and counters. The room felt like a stuff...plain walls, poor air ventilation. Interviewers were friendly.

Interview Questions

• Describe strengths, what do you know about our company, etc.   Answer Question

Chemical Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Westar Energy.

Interview

Pretty Competitive and selective