Western Digital FIT U Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3.2

7 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Engineer FIT-U Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Western Digital (Irvine, CA) in February 2013.

Interview

I was an out of town candidate so they made me take a test in NorCal for an entry level position in Irvine. Its a 56pt test. 14pt on basic EE, 14pt on computer architecture/digtal design and freaking 28 point on programming. Though the job requirement said "Basic programming skills" it did include intense programming like making "Class" and stuff, After 3 weeks they sent out a mass email saying I wasn't selected.

Interview Questions

• Go over C/C++ as much as you can, I just have a feeling that the amount of programming they want can be done by a CE and not an EE (or may be a CS but they will lack EE abilities), Concentrate on programming as the EE questions are super easy as long as your basic is strong!   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Western Digital

FIT U Engineer Interview

Interview

I gave them my resume at a career fair at my school. They called me in to take a test the following week. They put everyone in a big room and gave us one hour to take the test. The test consisted of converting hex numbers to binary, explaining what snippets of code do, giving expected output, object oriented programming concepts, pointers in C and C++, circuits, and writing sample code.

Interview Questions

• Circuit questions such as finding the voltage at a certain spot. Im comp sci not electrical engineer so i had no idea how to do this sort of stuff.   Answer Question

FIT U Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Western Digital.

Interview

Met with the HR department managers at the career fair at school. Was called in for an interview a couple weeks later. Was informed that the interview would take approximately 4 hours. First there was a briefing and welcoming to Western Digital and what kind of benefits you'd receive if you were to be hired, it was very light and funny even though everyone was in a serious mood. Then you'd be dismissed one by one to your exam/interview room where you first have to complete an hour long exam that test you on the basics of electrical & computer engineering. (Circuits, networks, R, RL, RC, RLC, MOSFETs, CMOS, BJTs, programming, loops, scripting, function calls, computer architecture). After that, there are 4 engineers from different departments that comes in to interview you and ask you technical questions. It depends on the engineer's skills and if they match yours, then they'll ask you technical questions. Try to do your best on the board. Sometimes engineers will ask you behavioral questions.

Interview Questions

• You have a mix of balls that contains 3 colors. Red, Blue, and Green. The probability for them are 70%, 20%, and 10%. Implement a function that demonstrates the case where you choose 1 ball with and without replacement.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Western Digital (Irvine, CA) in November 2014.

Interview

I applied through college. It take around 2~3 weeks to get an email to take the online assessment for EECEs. It took 90 minutes to take. There was one problem to write a simple function in the end and you can choose the language you prefer. There were some questions related to the circuits and bits.

Interview Questions

• A question to find a voltage on the given circuit. It was about npn.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Western Digital (Irvine, CA) in February 2014.

Interview

Talked to recruiter at college career fair. Didn't hear back from them until received an email with a test a couple weeks later. 90 minute test for EECEs. If you do well enough you are invited on campus for an interview day within 2 weeks.

Interview day seemed more of a test of desire/fit. Asked questions more about why you are here,what you like. Some questions on coding logic, some PCB knowledge. Overall seemed more towards finding best fit rather than proving self. Interviewed with maybe 10 others, heard only a couple got offers. Interviewed with 4 different people, various get to know you conversations

Interview Questions

• Tell me about different sort algorithms. Tell me about this PCB (hard drive)   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Western Digital (Irvine, CA) in November 2013.

Interview

They were collecting resumes during an on-campus job fair. After about a month, I received an email that invited me to complete an online skill assessment test. The assessment contained approximately twenty questions regarding electrical engineering and computer engineering. And there were two programming sections where your entered code was validated. The assessment could be considered somewhat challenging if you were never exposed to certain topics.

Afterwards, you may be invited to a four-hour interview at the Irvine office. There was an orientation, one-on-one interviews with four separate employees, and a tour of your potential work site. During the interviews, you will be asked about your experiences and also several technical questions. But normally, the FIT-U engineers are only assigned to a few specific programs like Failure Analysis.

Interview Questions

• To the customer, what is the most important difference between ordinary hard drives and SSDs?   Answer Question

Application

Interview

Skills Test: Other People have described it, was a very simple test and was able to answer about 12 of the 14th very easily. Passed this test so i was invited to the "Superday" Interview.

Superday: 4 1on1 Interviews, mostly behavioral questions. Why did you choose Engineering, Why do you want to work here, What makes you a good candidate, and a ton of questions about Team Project. Lots of questions about how you would solve technical questions and seeing how logical you are. Each interviewer asked what i thought i was better at Hardware or Software, which one i enjoyed better, and rate my self on a scale of 1-10 on programming skills.

Interview Questions

• Draw a state diagram for vending machine.   Answer Question
    • Write a function that accepts a base 10 digit and reverses the base 2 bits equivalent. Ex: input 8 (base10) = 1000(base 2), Output would be 0001 (base 2) = 1 (Base10).   Answer Question