Western Digital Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 8, 2018

2.8

LAUNCH Sales Rotational Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Western Digital (Irvine, CA).

Interview

There was a phone screening and then a week later, they flew me to Irvine. I interviewed with the managers and directors of the sales and marketing departments. Interview was conversational, not too formal.

Manager Interview

Application

The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Western Digital.

Interview

One of the worst companies I interviewed with.
    * Interviewers kept playing with phones during group and 1:1 interviews.
    * The culture take to long to make any decision, 5 interviews across 3 months.
    * Less impressive interviewers' background but acted with condescending manner.
    * Disorganized, couldn't schedule interviews in aggregate manner.
    * Would not pay for talent.
    With this kind of culture, good luck with the thin-margin storage market!

Staff Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Western Digital (San Jose, CA) in January 2018.

Interview

I had a phone interview with the manager and then a full day of on-site interviews. Everyone was extremely nice. I was lucky enough to skip the HR part of the interview due to an employee referral.

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Milpitas, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Western Digital (Milpitas, CA).

Interview

I applied through a staffing Agency. One phone interview, one in-person interview. I got the phone call for an interview about a week after the recruiter submitted my resume, and two weeks after the interview I was given an offer.

Interview Questions

• Behavior questions on the phone: tell me about yourself, how would you do this (random scenario), tell me about a time you did certain task, strength and weakness questions.   1 Answer

Analyst and Characterization Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milpitas, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Western Digital (Milpitas, CA) in December 2017.

Interview

recruiter reached out to me from a talent network. 1st round was an hour-long video conference interview with the hiring manager. included both technical and behavioral questions. mostly questions about my resume and previous experience.

Interview Questions

• which one is easier to rectify after a chip is manufactured, hold violation or setup violation?   1 Answer
    • given 1 byte of data, how does one access the 6th bit only?   1 Answer
    • describe a voltage divider.   Answer Question
    • describe a situation when you had a disagreement with a colleague and how you resolved it.   Answer Question

Launch Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Milpitas, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Western Digital (Milpitas, CA) in December 2017.

Interview

Quick phone screen with an HR rep and then flown out to Milpitas for an interview. The onsite day consisted of a tour of the facility and then a quick interview with 2 engineers and then an interview with the same HR coordinator I worked with on the phone.

Interview Questions

• How would you troubleshoot your computer screen going blank   1 Answer

Launch Engineer - Memory Technology Interview

Application

Interview

Had 1 round of phone interview for 45 minutes. Was called onsite within 5 days.
    Onsite interview consisted of 6 rounds of 45 minutes each. General focus on transistor basics and C programming basics

Interview Questions

• math problems - given 8 pebbles - 1 of them is heavier, what is the minimum number of weighings needed to find the heavier pebble.   1 Answer
    • math problems - 25 horses, 5 tracks - minimum number of races required to identify the 3 fastest horses   1 Answer
    • what is a floating gate transistor?   Answer Question
    • given an array - how to sort? how to find unique element? how to find number of occurrences of a specific element?   Answer Question

Launch Data Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milpitas, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Western Digital (Milpitas, CA) in December 2017.

Interview

The process was going fine until the third round. I have been interviewed at Milpitas, CA for the third round. There was no proper communication from HR about flight tickets and accommodation. (The night before I have to start to CA, they have sent me the itinerary and hotel booking information. I was totally clueless till then and not sure about the interview.)
    I was interviewed by five people. Four rounds went fine. A senior technologist started asking me about Facebook API and was rude and very sarcastic while asking questions. I had great expectations on the Western Digital interview but they didn't ask a thing about Algorithms and Data structures. All my algorithms practice was vain.
    The interview is only on your resume and not at all about how knowledgeable you are in Computer Sciences basics and concepts.

Interview Questions

• How do you manage an application like Facebook?   Answer Question
    • Asks about each technology in your skill set!   Answer Question
    • They will drill down in all the dimensions( mathematically, conceptually, motivation) about the projects.   Answer Question

Product Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Western Digital (San Jose, CA) in December 2017.

Interview

I applied online on the portal specifically in LAUNCH program section and then initially had a call with the manager. After this initial phone screening, I got a call back for an onsite interview. The onsite interview had 7 rounds and were mainly focussed on device physics, basics of CMOS circuits, memory etc

Launch Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Colorado Springs, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Western Digital (Colorado Springs, CO) in December 2017.

Interview

I applied through my university's job website. I was contacted about 6 weeks later to provide answers to some basic HR questions. I was then contacted about a month later for an interview during the "Super Day". The interview was with a panel of 4 engineers. Some of their questions seemed prepared although much of the interview was pretty conversational. I enjoyed talking with the engineers. An HR representative indicated that day that we should expect to hear back in the next 48 hours. Despite several attempts to follow up with HR, no conclusive decision regarding my application was ever delivered to me. The HR staff seemed disorganized and were very difficult to communicate with through out the application process. Ultimately I opted to accept a competing offer rather than wait around for WD to get back to me.