Western Digital Interview Questions in San Jose, CA | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 20, 2016

2.8

Senior, Staff Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Western Digital (San Jose, CA).

Interview

Start with phone interview, then one to two rounds of in house interview with about 5 to 7 interviewers. A round table rating meeting with all interviewers is held after the in house interview. Hiring manager has the most saying.

Interview Questions

• Technical: How to calculate cantilever beam deflection? Physics or math problems, etc.
      What is your expectation about yourself in five year? Why you like to join WD?
      Answer Question

RAMP Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Western Digital (San Jose, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

University Relations team reached out with a examination. This examination took place online and consisted of many EE and CS related questions. Hiring managers would contact after completing the examination if the applicant met their desired qualifications.

Staff Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Western Digital (San Jose, CA).

Interview

2 Phone interview and 1 on site interview. For the first phone interview I got programming questions and control system questions. For the second, I got general questions on many topics. For the on site interview I got C\C++ programming questions and control system related questions. Besides that average behavioral questions or tell me about yourself type of questions.

Interview Questions

• C\C++ programming questions and control system related questions. Besides that average behavioral questions or tell me about yourself type of questions   Answer Question

Staff Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Western Digital (San Jose, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

from 9am to 5pm, start with an hour presentation, then 2 one on one section with director and manager, lunch with hiring manager, in the afternoon 4 one on one section with engineers mostly technical question and stuff on your resume

Senior Staff Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Western Digital (San Jose, CA) in October 2014.

Interview

The whole process is: 1 run of telephone screen + 1 day on-site. The on-site interview started with 40mins presentation and followed by 1:1 with interview committee. The interview questions contained both technical questions and work ethic questions. The interviewers are friendly. They also answered my questions about the company business, job responsibility, and work environment.

Interview Questions

• How to work with people having different technical and culture background? Explain with examples.   Answer Question

Electrical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Western Digital (San Jose, CA) in March 2014.

Interview

I had one phone interview. It was about 30 mins and mainly a behavioral interview. The only technical aspect of the interview was when they asked me about projects that I had worked on. The rest of the interview consisted of my future manager asking about myself and my education. He began with going over my resume and asking questions about what was on there and then the conversatons grew from there.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about one project that you were really passionate about.   1 Answer

Staff Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Western Digital (San Jose, CA) in March 2014.

Interview

Interview lasts about 4 hours, 6 people 1:1. People are very friendly and nice. 1 or 2 tough technical questions about the skills required by the position, and others are behavior questions.

Interview Questions

• Tell us top 3 things you think you'll need to improve/strengthen.   Answer Question

Senior Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Western Digital (San Jose, CA).

Interview

Emails, interview, not a lot of technical questions

Negotiation

was no negotiation phase

Electronics Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Western Digital (San Jose, CA) in June 2013.

Interview

2 rounds of phone interviews. First round is a behavioral interview. The second one is technical. Mainly about the projects on my resume. Many innovative problems around different projects.

Interview Questions

• How do you implement your filter into an communication system? What type will choose and why?   Answer Question

Senior Staff Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Western Digital (San Jose, CA) in June 2013.

Interview

There was an initial phone interview with the hiring manager, followed by an on-site interview.

During the on-site interview, I talked to the hiring manager, another manager, the recruiter, and several future coworkers. Each person took around 30 minutes. I was shuttled in, interviewed and shuttled out in the same day. We went out to lunch in between.

The recruiter was a little sketchy and indirectly asked for some information that I did not think was appropriate. It gave me some pause to think about what kind of a place this was.