Western Digital Interview Questions in San Jose, CA | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 20, 2016

2.8

Senior, Staff Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Western Digital (San Jose, CA).

Interview

Start with phone interview, then one to two rounds of in house interview with about 5 to 7 interviewers. A round table rating meeting with all interviewers is held after the in house interview. Hiring manager has the most saying.

Interview Questions

• Technical: How to calculate cantilever beam deflection? Physics or math problems, etc.
      What is your expectation about yourself in five year? Why you like to join WD?
      Answer Question

RAMP Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Western Digital (San Jose, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

University Relations team reached out with a examination. This examination took place online and consisted of many EE and CS related questions. Hiring managers would contact after completing the examination if the applicant met their desired qualifications.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Western Digital (Mountain View, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

The whole process took about a month and a half. First is a online technical assessment, and then when they select applicants from that group you go for an in-person Super Day of interviews

Staff Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Western Digital (San Jose, CA).

Interview

2 Phone interview and 1 on site interview. For the first phone interview I got programming questions and control system questions. For the second, I got general questions on many topics. For the on site interview I got C\C++ programming questions and control system related questions. Besides that average behavioral questions or tell me about yourself type of questions.

Interview Questions

• C\C++ programming questions and control system related questions. Besides that average behavioral questions or tell me about yourself type of questions   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Western Digital (Mountain View, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

The interview process involved meeting multiple engineers who asked different questions related to my previous work experience, my hobbies, technical questions that cover topics specified in my Curricula Vitae (i.e. resume) and what I liked and disliked about my previous positions. Context was given as to the position responsibilities.

Staff Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Western Digital (San Jose, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

from 9am to 5pm, start with an hour presentation, then 2 one on one section with director and manager, lunch with hiring manager, in the afternoon 4 one on one section with engineers mostly technical question and stuff on your resume

Senior Director Content Solutions Data Center Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Western Digital (Mountain View, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

It was long journey which took almost a month of my life :) I have got 25 emails from WD before my interview was scheduled. Finally I had to take a PTO to spend entire day in the office located in Mountain View, CA.
    I was placed into a meeting room, so people came to me one by one.
    Being an experienced manager and having lots of experience in recruiting process I found several issues during interview process and I'd like to highlight the most bright of them:
    1. People who interviewed me didn't read my resume in advance
    2. Most of interviews were not confident to answer on my questions and were scared to discuss new technologies
    3. Air conditioner system in the meeting room was out of control. Also it was funny to see that interviewers dressed their jackets while I was completely unprepared for that and after spending couple more hours I started thinking that someone decided to make experiment on me. Finally I caught a cold on the next day.
    4. Nobody notified me about absence of free drinks. There is a commercial beverage fridge, so if you don't have cash you can drink water from a tap in bathroom.
    5. My interviewers have been working in WD from 8 to 30 years, and I really saw a horror in their eyes when I was trying to explain how cloud based technology works and how cool it will be for WD to have cloud solutions been implemented.
    6. As expected: nobody sent me any response or feedback after interview :)

I really wasted my time.
    I wish them well to survive on the market :)

Interview Questions

• Some micro tech questions, like command line attributes etc. :)   Answer Question

Senior Staff Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Western Digital (San Jose, CA) in October 2014.

Interview

The whole process is: 1 run of telephone screen + 1 day on-site. The on-site interview started with 40mins presentation and followed by 1:1 with interview committee. The interview questions contained both technical questions and work ethic questions. The interviewers are friendly. They also answered my questions about the company business, job responsibility, and work environment.

Interview Questions

• How to work with people having different technical and culture background? Explain with examples.   Answer Question

Electrical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Western Digital (San Jose, CA) in March 2014.

Interview

I had one phone interview. It was about 30 mins and mainly a behavioral interview. The only technical aspect of the interview was when they asked me about projects that I had worked on. The rest of the interview consisted of my future manager asking about myself and my education. He began with going over my resume and asking questions about what was on there and then the conversatons grew from there.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about one project that you were really passionate about.   1 Answer

Staff Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Western Digital (San Jose, CA) in March 2014.

Interview

Interview lasts about 4 hours, 6 people 1:1. People are very friendly and nice. 1 or 2 tough technical questions about the skills required by the position, and others are behavior questions.

Interview Questions

• Tell us top 3 things you think you'll need to improve/strengthen.   Answer Question