Western Governors University Course Mentor Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 4, 2017

2.6

29 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Western Governors University (Saint Louis, MO) in May 2017.

Interview

The entire process was very quick, 3 weeks. I sent in my application and had an interview request the next business day. The first interview uses adobe connect for the video and a conference line for the audio. You need to download a plugin for adobe connect, but you arenr prompted to do so until you try to enter the conference room. The first interview is with an hr person. They ask you about your resume. In addition to teaching experience I have lots of research experience. Rather than asking about teaching I was asked about my research background to make sure my passion is in education. They also want to make sure you have a strong internet connection and a dedicated office. I was asked of a second interview a few hours later. The second interview is with the course mentor supervisor and the next level boss. In this interview they ask about teaching style. They also ask you a few different ways why you want this job. Most of the students are non-traditional, so they want to make sure you will be able to work well with that demographic. The third interview is with other course mentors. It was a very laid back interview. They want to make sure you will fit in with the team.

Interview Questions

• Describe your office   Answer Question
  • Why do you want this job?   Answer Question
  • Most of our students work full time jobs, have families, and have other obligations besides their course work. Many of these students become frustrated. How would you handle a student like this? Have you had a similar student before?   Answer Question
  • This is a 40 hour a week job. Occasionally you will have to work more hours. How do you feel about that?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Western Governors University

Course Mentor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Western Governors University.

Interview

I had a very positive experience. There were 3 interviews...within 2 weeks. First one covered basic questions, second was panel with scenarios and third was role playing. Everyone was very nice and made it really comfortable.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiations. I was happy with the offer.

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Western Governors University (Salt Lake City, UT) in May 2016.

Interview

1) online application
    2) virtual interview with a recruiter (<1 wk)- nuts and bolts of the position, specific requirements
    [no teaching presentation required]
    3) virtual interview with program manager and other course mentors (<1 wk)- subject matter expertise, approach to challenging situations, culture fit
    4) virtual interview with senior manager (<1 wk)- forthcoming presentation of pros and cons of the position, gauging interest
    5) job offer (<1 wk), full process less than 3 weeks despite work schedule

Anonymous Employee in Dothan, AL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Western Governors University (Dothan, AL) in April 2016.

Interview

Enjoyable. Done via web cam. Very nice people. Discussed resume, reason for wanting to work at WGU. Salary expectations, scheduling, benefits. Explained further steps in the hiring process. Overall a very nice experience for a job interview.

Interview Questions

• What you would expect regarding work history and future goals.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Western Governors University (Salt Lake City, UT) in April 2016.

Interview

First interview with HR rep - video interview and recorded -very cheerful. If you scored well you would then be selected for a second interview with department personnel. Had second interview with department chair, also videoed but was told not recorded. Was told there would either be a third video interview with department's SME, or not selected. Was not selected. Issue - 1st interview with HR rep quoted one salary; second interview with department chair quoted salary 10K LESS. Asked if that was a deal breaker; answered no, but did indicate what had been said in the first, recorded interview.

Interview Questions

• How would you help a struggling student?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Western Governors University (Salt Lake City, UT) in April 2016.

Interview

About two weeks after I applied online I received an email requesting and interview. I made my own interview appointment online with the link sent to me in the email. I was interviewed the very next day via Adobe Connect. Prior to the interview I was asked to test my internet speed to make sure it would work at the proper speed. Once I logged on for the interview I actually had to call the phone number listed on my cell. That surprised me because I had never used Adobe Connect prior to this interview. So you interview with your computer showing you the person, and your phone is used for the verbal part.

Interview Questions

• What I knew about WGU.
      What I knew about the position.
      Why I wanted the position.
      If I was willing to travel.   1 Answer

Application

Interview

Three interviews. The recruiter was the first. She was very rude and told me "working from home" can't be the reason I want to work at WGU. Come on...the low pay? That would be the only reason. In any case interview 2 is with a manager in your department and interview 3 with an academic manager. They seemed friendly enough but said a LOT of things...benefits, expected hours worked, pay for travel, that didn't appear in my letter and when I questioned about these things, me offer was revoked with a generic "I'm sorry we selected s different candidate type email".

Interview Questions

• They do a role play with a struggling student calling the help line and needing help. That's in interview 2.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rome, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Western Governors University (Rome, GA) in October 2015.

Interview

The interview lasted about thirty minutes. The person conducting the interview was friendly and easy to talk to. They asked basic background questions and asked for specific examples of providing assistance to students that resulted in both positive and negative outcomes. They asked about my ability to meet specific work requirements on weekends and after hours. The interview experience was very positive.

Interview Questions

• What attracted you to Western Governors University and what do you know about us?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grand Rapids, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Western Governors University (Grand Rapids, MI) in July 2015.

Interview

I received an email asking me to set up an appointment online to speak with an interviewer. I set up the appointment, but no one called me, so I set up an appointment for the following day. A representative called me that day, but sounded like she had not read my resume or cover letter. I was told my information would be sent on to a manager and if he/she is interested, he/she would call me.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about our company? Are you working now? What questions do you have for me?
      Tell me about your experiences.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Western Governors University (Tucson, AZ) in July 2015.

Interview

There were several interviews by members of the team, then HR, and then more members of the teams. All were phone screens with various people. They also asked for a presentation and some written documentation answering some questions. There was a bit of time between the interviews.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Western Governors University?   Answer Question