Western Governors University Instructional Designer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Western Governors University Instructional Designer Interview Questions

2.8

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Barrow, AK

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Western Governors University (Barrow, AK) in August 2016.

Interview

I had a phone interview about a month ago. The recruiter told me he would get back with me in ten days to give me an update on the position. Once again another company/organization did not follow through and left me high and dry with no answer. WGU lacks professional courtesy and I think their HR screening practices are highly dubious.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Western Governors University

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Western Governors University (Salt Lake City, UT) in May 2016.

Interview

Interview process started with phone interviews. Five phone interviews in total. First interview was an "HR screening interview." Three calls were with Product Development team managers. Additional interview was with a lead instructional Designer. Two week gap between phone interviews and face to face interviews. F2F interviews were conducted at SLC office. Met with 3 of the same managers plus 3 additional managers/VP/directors within the department.

*At the time of this review, decisions have not been made about the position.

Interview Questions

• Everyone asked why the interest in WGU. Questions about experience, and scenario questions, "tell me about a time when..." "How would you go about...."   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Western Governors University (Salt Lake City, UT) in April 2016.

Interview

Several interview stages with increasingly ranked personnel. Recruiter, Instructional Design Manager, Curriculum Manager, and Learning Design Director. All asked tough but fair questions and were very honest about the company's past and plans for the future. All interviews were conducted via phone or video conferencing. All done from home, but I but Salt Lake City.

Interview Questions

• How are you prepared for the rigors of working from home (e.g. work-life balance, sense of isolation, communication across the country/time zones, etc)   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Western Governors University (Salt Lake City, UT) in May 2015.

Interview

Standard interview questions. There was nothing unusual in the interviewer. Recruiter was great. Met with several people in the department. I was asked if I had worked remotely before, and was I willing to travel to Salt Lake city as needed. After speaking with recruiter I was interviewed by 3 other people.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here.
      What would you bring to the table?
      What do you know about WGU?
      What do you know about our model?
      Answer Question

Instructional Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Western Governors University in January 2015.

Interview

Received an e-mail from HR inviting me to participate in a 30-minute phone interview about two weeks after I applied. HR rep was very nice. Asked typical questions and even discussed salary range. Be sure you know the history of WGU (on their website). A department head called the next day to schedule a Skype session. A week later, another department rep called to schedule a phone interview. Hiring process is ongoing at the time of this entry.

Interview Questions

• Expect typical interview questions. Be sure that you are able to articulate why you want to work specifically at WGU and be prepared to answer questions like:
      "Describe a typical day in your prefect idea of what this job entails"
      "What has been your greatest accomplishment working in the field of education?"
      "Why are you a good fit for this specific position?"
      1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Western Governors University (Salt Lake City, UT) in June 2012.

Interview

I applied online for this position. I was contacted via email about 1 week later with a request for an initial phone interview and given several dates and times to select from. I responded with a time that I would be available. The phone interview went very well and I was contacted 2 days later with a request for an in person, on-site interview the following week. I went to this interview which consisted of 4 individual meetings, one 2 person panel interview and a lunch meeting. I THOUGHT the interviews went very well. My potential supervisor even discussed salary and benefits with me and asked if I would be able to attend a week of training and conferences two weeks later (I said I would be able to). He said he thought I was a perfect fit for the position. He talked about getting me a computer and phone (this was a remote position). He said he had to talk briefly with a few other people the next week and that he would be in contact with me the following week. I left the interview thinking I actually had the job. I did not hear from anyone the following week so I sent this guy an email - no response. I left a voice message with HR the next week - no response. I left the guy a voice message the second week after my interview (the week of the training and meetings) - no response. I left a second voice message with HR the 3rd week after my interview - no response. FINALLY after over 4 weeks, I got a 2 sentence email from HR that they had selected another candidate. I have NO idea what went wrong. I have NO idea why this guy would all but offer me the job and then have NO contact with me again. What a waste of time for me.

Interview Questions

• All questions were pretty standard, work history related.   Answer Question