Western Governors University Student Mentor - Faculty Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Western Governors University Student Mentor - Faculty Interview Questions

Updated Jul 15, 2017

2.6

34 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Student Mentor - Faculty Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Western Governors University in July 2017.

Interview

Applied online and received an invite for interview with talent recruiter within a few days. Recruiter was very helpful to address questions about the position and what next steps could be expected in the interviewing and hiring process.

Interview Questions

• What roles/positions have you held that included performance of teaching/mentoring responsibilities?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Western Governors University

Student Mentor - Faculty Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Western Governors University in April 2017.

Interview

Interview with HR for screening, basically was explained the job, travel requirements, salary, etc. 2nd interview requested next morning with program manager. Interviewed via adobe connect with him and another program manager. References requested at the end of that day. Offer two days later!

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Western Governors University (Salt Lake City, UT) in April 2017.

Interview

2 interviews, both via Adobe Connect. Called for 1st interview. Interviewed with Talent Recruiter. She asked basic questions about the position, school and why I was qualified. Then called on the same day for second interview. 2nd interview was with 2 Program Managers. More detailed interview with each asking questions about how I would fit into position.

Interview Questions

• Why should we hire you?
      What are your strengths/weaknesses
      How would you handle motivating a student with 3 kids and a 1 hour commute   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Putnam Valley, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Western Governors University (Putnam Valley, NY) in April 2017.

Interview

Interview was online through Adobe Connect. If this is not installed on your computer, do so before the meeting - it can take a few minutes. HR rep was very cheerful, encouraging, and easy going. Asked a few basic questions and explained requirements, promised would be in contact within 5-10 days. After interview I sent a thank you email and received a prompt, and very positive response. Two weeks later I emailed asking for information and, while I received a negative reply, was encouraged to apply for other positions. Did so, and have an interview next week.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about WGU and why are you interested in working here?   Answer Question
    • How will you schedule working from home and do you have a quiet place to work?   Answer Question
    • What are your experiences and why do you feel you would be a good fit for this job?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Bristol, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Western Governors University (Bristol, IL) in April 2017.

Interview

I had several interviews. I applied online and was contacted via phone by a recruiter for the initial interview. The second and third interviews were done via adobe connect with department and hiring managers. Overall it was a pleasant process.

Interview Questions

• Discuss a time when you needed to encourage a struggling student and what was the outcome   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Western Governors University (Phoenix, AZ) in March 2017.

Interview

The initial interview went great. The interview was completed through Adobe Connect and was with a Talent Acquisition person. She was very positive and I made me feel confident. She even made some suggestions to help me prep for the second interview, including typical questions. In hindsight, I think that this actually worked against me because I didn't prep as well as I normally would have and the questions she gave me were never even brought up. The day after my interview I received a link to some online forms they needed me to fill out including my references, then the next day I received an invitation for a 2nd interview, which was a panel interview with three people. The second interview did not go nearly as well. The 3 on 1 approach was a little intimidating and one of the interviewers even made a snarky comment about my personality and that flustered me even more and I found myself getting off-track. I felt as if I weren't answering their questions the way they wanted because they kept repeating them in a different way, which I know is not a good sign. After a week I received the form email stating "We have interviewed a high number of qualified candidates and our decision was very difficult. Regretfully, after careful consideration, we are moving forward with other candidates that more closely meet our qualifications". I have several years experience teaching online courses so I feel it was more personal than based on my qualifications, but I understand how that works in business. I also know that the first interviewer told me that they aren't actually looking for people to "teach", instead it is more of an advisory position. I would like to believe that perhaps my desire to teach was too strong.

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Western Governors University (Salt Lake City, UT) in March 2017.

Interview

Three interviews and an offer letter. First interview recruiter, second interview program manager, final interview HR with an offer. It was a little confusing. Was not sure what position I would be hired for at the end

Interview Questions

• What do you know about WGU? Do you like working with students? How will you support students taking all their courses online? Have you ever taught online? Do your students like you?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Western Governors University (Salt Lake City, UT) in September 2016.

Interview

I applied online and got an email the next day to schedule an online interview. It was a basic HR screen, being sure I understood the job and the requirements. Went really well and I felt good about it. Four days later I was contacted by someone who would be a student mentor supervisor and we set up another online interview. Some of the second interview was redundant, but I felt like I was well-informed about the position. It felt like she was not satisfied with me and that my answers kept falling flat. A week and a half later I got an email that I did not get the job.

Interview Questions

• What are you the most proud of?
      Talk about a time you had to follow a policy you didn't agree with.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Western Governors University (Salt Lake City, UT) in April 2016.

Interview

Applied online 2 months ago
    Received email from recruiter for interview
    Interview in Adobe Connect using video and they record it to play for hiring manager
    2nd interview request from senior recruiter received next day
    2nd interview video recorded in Adobe Connect too
    3rd interview with senior program manager
    3rd interview has basic interview questions repeated from 2 prior interviews IN ADDITION TO a question of a student with past due assignments
    Email request for supervisor reference 1 day after 3rd interview
    Phone call with offer of employment 1 day after supervisor reference submitted
    Email summarizing offer received about 3 hours after phone call

Interview Questions

• Though I had to select SLC as the interview location, it was all done online through adobe connect.
      Walk me through your resume
      Why do you want to work at Western Governor's
      What do you know about our university
      What can you bring to the table
      Why should we select you
      If a student is late on an assignment how would you encourage them to get it done   Answer Question

Student Mentor - Faculty Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Western Governors University.

Interview

The interview process was extremely straight forward. I applied online and was contacted via email within 2 weeks to set up phone screen. Approximately 2 days after the initial phone screen I was contacted to set up an interview via Adobe Connect. Approximately 1 week after that I was contacted by the Program Manager to do 1 final interview. I was made an offer shortly after my references cleared.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see your career goals in 5 years? Why do you want to work with students? What do you know about WGU?   1 Answer