Western Governors University Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Western Governors University Interview Questions

Updated Jan 19, 2018

2.7

Vice President Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Western Governors University in February 2017.

Interview

This was one of the most detailed and thorough academic interviews I have ever been through. Yet it was professional and well handled at almost all levels. The initial recruiter was fantastic, as was the HR manager. I had three phone interviews with them, and each interview lasted a little over an hour. The recruiter and HR person were top-notch and made the interviews go smoothly. There was a combination of behavioral and technical questions, with the focus primarily on behavioral.

My final interview was with the President of WGU (over the phone). This interview was a little less smooth, but was still well handled. I did find it odd that there were so many phone interviews, which was out of the norm for higher education.

Also, these interviews were much more "corporate" than I imagined they would be (not a bad thing at all). At each round they asked me for concrete examples of how I managed various aspects at my prior institutions. They wanted more than "talk" and I appreciated that. More universities should ask their prospective employees for hard facts about what they have accomplished.

Ultimately I did not get an offer, but the interview and the whole experience with WGU left a very positive impact on me. If their other employees are as solid as their HR team, it has to be a great place to work.

Interview Questions

• Lots of questions about "how" I accomplished very specific things in student services, enrollment management, academic affairs. Not just "what did you do" but "how did you do it?" Also, many many behavioral questions geared at how I would deal with others and in a matrixed reporting structure.   Answer Question

Learning Resource Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Western Governors University (New York, NY).

Interview

Applied online. Received an email from the recruiter three days later and interviewed with them a week after that. Another week later, I received an email from the hiring team in the department to be interviewed by them the following week. The interview was online via webcam and phone call. There were four managers on camera asking questions. I received a rejection notice from the corporate recruiter two weeks after the second interview.

Interview Questions

• What is a qualification you are missing that would make you a better candidate for this position?   Answer Question

Student Records Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Western Governors University.

Interview

I was emailed extraordinarily vague instructions and found upon arriving that I had no idea where to go or what building to enter. When people from another company finally helped me understand what had happened, I emailed the interviewer to say I did not think the company was a good fit given my hardship. She immediately responded with a very rude, childish, and unprofessional retort. Very glad I went with my gut and didn't waste my time with this department.

Enrollment Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Western Governors University (New York, NY).

Interview

I was told there are plenty of opportunities for advancement. They lied. There is no room for advancement. I was also told that your schedule will be flexible. They lied again.

Systems Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Western Governors University (Salt Lake City, UT) in April 2012.

Interview

Pretty much was talked out of going for the job because I was not into sports, I had too much experience which was a direct threat to the current infra manager

Interview Questions

• How much experience I had with Exchange, apparently they do not have much.   1 Answer

Course Mentor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Western Governors University in June 2014.

Interview

Was contacted about two weeks after initial application. Had a phone interview about a week later. Was told I would be recontacted near the end of the following month. Was contacted almost three weeks early and asked to present a "content knowledge" demonstration, in any platform, with no further direction. Completed. Was asked how much notice I would need to give current employers and about availability.

Interview Questions

• The area being requested was an interdisciplinary studies area where instructors specialize in many different topics. Not having a directed question or a course description (was told one was not available) made this very difficult.   1 Answer

Faculty Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Colorado Springs, CO

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Western Governors University (Colorado Springs, CO) in September 2017.

Interview

Long and time consuming. I made it to the fourth interview and was basically told I would get a written offer within a week. Even given access to online portal, so I could complete an availability schedule. Never heard anything. I called...they didn't know who I was, called back a second time and they were having HR issues and someone would contact me soon, called back a third time and the 4 people I interviewed with, did not apparently work there anymore. Offered to initiate the entire process again, told I would be contacted. Fourth call got me a voice mail. Left message. One more week. Fifth call left voice mail. Another week no response. I was just plain annoyed at this point. I hold a terminal degree and have never been treated so badly. I called and left a voice mail, an hour later I called and left a voice mail, an hour later I called and left a voice mail, an hour later I called and left a voice mail; a half hour later I received a bulk email response that the position was no longer being hired for. The next week, the position was back up posted on higher ED job site. Since WGU treated me this way, I can understand all the frustration I have read from students. They wasted my time and totally disrespected me. I will never forget. They are foul!

Interview Questions

• Online tests, online grading of papers, situational narratives   Answer Question

Student Mentor - Faculty Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Western Governors University (Salt Lake City, UT) in January 2017.

Interview

First you get an email confirming your resume, then you get a first appointment with a recruiter, then you get a second appointment with a program manager, then one other person reviews your skills.

Interview Questions

• What is the most important thing for you as a Professor at a University?   1 Answer

Instructional Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Western Governors University (Salt Lake City, UT) in April 2016.

Interview

Several interview stages with increasingly ranked personnel. Recruiter, Instructional Design Manager, Curriculum Manager, and Learning Design Director. All asked tough but fair questions and were very honest about the company's past and plans for the future. All interviews were conducted via phone or video conferencing. All done from home, but I but Salt Lake City.

Interview Questions

• How are you prepared for the rigors of working from home (e.g. work-life balance, sense of isolation, communication across the country/time zones, etc)   Answer Question

Course Mentor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Western Governors University (Salt Lake City, UT) in April 2016.

Interview

About two weeks after I applied online I received an email requesting and interview. I made my own interview appointment online with the link sent to me in the email. I was interviewed the very next day via Adobe Connect. Prior to the interview I was asked to test my internet speed to make sure it would work at the proper speed. Once I logged on for the interview I actually had to call the phone number listed on my cell. That surprised me because I had never used Adobe Connect prior to this interview. So you interview with your computer showing you the person, and your phone is used for the verbal part.

Interview Questions

• What I knew about WGU.
      What I knew about the position.
      Why I wanted the position.
      If I was willing to travel.   1 Answer