Western Governors University Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Western Governors University Interview Questions

Updated Jan 6, 2018

2.7

Anonymous Employee in Bristol, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Western Governors University (Bristol, IL) in April 2017.

Interview

I had several interviews. I applied online and was contacted via phone by a recruiter for the initial interview. The second and third interviews were done via adobe connect with department and hiring managers. Overall it was a pleasant process.

Interview Questions

• Discuss a time when you needed to encourage a struggling student and what was the outcome   Answer Question

Course Mentor: Leadership Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Western Governors University (Salt Lake City, UT) in April 2017.

Interview

After about two weeks from application an email stating "Thank you for applying to Western Governors University. After reviewing your resume, I would like to set up a 30-40 minute interview via adobe connect for the current open position of ..." and offered a link to book time slot for the interview. The data was confirmed by separate email with a link to connect on the scheduled day/time.

Interview Questions

• Briefly describe your career path...   1 Answer

Online Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Western Governors University (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

Skype interview with hiring manager as screen, then skype interview with 2 directors. They were very nice. Glassdoor was very helpful because I saw that other employees were not happy about having their phones monitored. When I asked about this, they did not deny they monitor online faculty phone calls. I could not believe that a doctorally prepared professor employee would not be trusted. I had to decline this extremely unprofessional behavior by an employer. Happy to say I have found another university which would never monitor phones. Thanks Glassdoor!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Western Governors University (Phoenix, AZ) in March 2017.

Interview

The initial interview went great. The interview was completed through Adobe Connect and was with a Talent Acquisition person. She was very positive and I made me feel confident. She even made some suggestions to help me prep for the second interview, including typical questions. In hindsight, I think that this actually worked against me because I didn't prep as well as I normally would have and the questions she gave me were never even brought up. The day after my interview I received a link to some online forms they needed me to fill out including my references, then the next day I received an invitation for a 2nd interview, which was a panel interview with three people. The second interview did not go nearly as well. The 3 on 1 approach was a little intimidating and one of the interviewers even made a snarky comment about my personality and that flustered me even more and I found myself getting off-track. I felt as if I weren't answering their questions the way they wanted because they kept repeating them in a different way, which I know is not a good sign. After a week I received the form email stating "We have interviewed a high number of qualified candidates and our decision was very difficult. Regretfully, after careful consideration, we are moving forward with other candidates that more closely meet our qualifications". I have several years experience teaching online courses so I feel it was more personal than based on my qualifications, but I understand how that works in business. I also know that the first interviewer told me that they aren't actually looking for people to "teach", instead it is more of an advisory position. I would like to believe that perhaps my desire to teach was too strong.

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Western Governors University (Salt Lake City, UT) in March 2017.

Interview

Three interviews and an offer letter. First interview recruiter, second interview program manager, final interview HR with an offer. It was a little confusing. Was not sure what position I would be hired for at the end

Interview Questions

• What do you know about WGU? Do you like working with students? How will you support students taking all their courses online? Have you ever taught online? Do your students like you?   Answer Question

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Western Governors University in March 2017.

Interview

I had an initial contact by phone. The lady was nice and she just went over the position and asked if I wanted to pursue with my application. She scheduled me for a face to face. Two managers interviewed me and they were nice too.

Interview Questions

• how do you handle talking to a student about certain policy they don't agree with ?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I didn't they actually offered me a little more than what they said initially. Overall it was a good experience

Financial Services Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Western Governors University (Salt Lake City, UT).

Interview

After applying and submitting my resume, I was called by the WGU recruiter for an on-the-spot phone interview where he asked about my strengths and went over the details of the job.
    After that, we set up a face to face interview with the supervisors of the department. They asked a lot about my experience in customer service and then had me write a fake email on how I would respond to a student asking about Financial Aid.

Interview Questions

• Name a difficult situation with a customer that you solved.   1 Answer

Vice President Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Western Governors University in February 2017.

Interview

This was one of the most detailed and thorough academic interviews I have ever been through. Yet it was professional and well handled at almost all levels. The initial recruiter was fantastic, as was the HR manager. I had three phone interviews with them, and each interview lasted a little over an hour. The recruiter and HR person were top-notch and made the interviews go smoothly. There was a combination of behavioral and technical questions, with the focus primarily on behavioral.

My final interview was with the President of WGU (over the phone). This interview was a little less smooth, but was still well handled. I did find it odd that there were so many phone interviews, which was out of the norm for higher education.

Also, these interviews were much more "corporate" than I imagined they would be (not a bad thing at all). At each round they asked me for concrete examples of how I managed various aspects at my prior institutions. They wanted more than "talk" and I appreciated that. More universities should ask their prospective employees for hard facts about what they have accomplished.

Ultimately I did not get an offer, but the interview and the whole experience with WGU left a very positive impact on me. If their other employees are as solid as their HR team, it has to be a great place to work.

Interview Questions

• Lots of questions about "how" I accomplished very specific things in student services, enrollment management, academic affairs. Not just "what did you do" but "how did you do it?" Also, many many behavioral questions geared at how I would deal with others and in a matrixed reporting structure.   Answer Question

HRBP Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tempe, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Western Governors University (Tempe, AZ) in February 2017.

Interview

I applied online and was sent a canned screening invitation a week later. I made an error on the request and emailed the sender, with no response. I was able to use the same invitation to schedule a later screen.

The phone screen lasted about 30 minutes with the recruiter. He had said the hiring manager wanted to know more about me. At the end I was told he'd submit my information to the manager who I should expect to review it in two to three days. It's been two weeks and no response. No response from the recruiter to my follow-up either.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your experience working with compensation plans.   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Remote, OR

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Western Governors University (Remote, OR) in February 2017.

Interview

I was contacted immediately for an interview by an internal recruiter. First interview was a quick phone interview where they went over the basics of the position, pay, etc. Second interview using Adobe connect. This interview was very pleasant and professional, definitely made me want to be part of WGU. A week later, I was interviewed by a Senior Program Manager and another Program Manager. The Senior Program Manager seemed bothered by having to interview me, he clearly said that he would not be my Manager (which I was relieved) . Although it was an Adobe connect interview, he was not dressed professionally at all. He was wearing a baseball cap and a sweatshirt. I thought this was rather odd and inappropriate for an interview. This interview made me very uncomfortable - neither of them smiled at all during the entire process. He even seemed to become angry with my response to one of his questions, which personally, to me was an outdated question. I almost gave up and asked to end the interview at that time, it was that bad. Towards the end of the interview they asked for my references and asked if I would be available to fly out there for training with a specific date. The interview appeared as if it was going towards the positive because of all the wrap-up information that was being asked. They even reminded me that I would not be allowed to work any other jobs for a period of one year, and that there would not be any time off allowed during that time period either. He wanted to make sure that I would be okay with that. Later that evening, I was emailed a rejection, certainly not what I was expecting after gathering more information for him. However, I was relieved, I didn't feel that this was a positive experience at all and the salary that was offered did not make up for the fact that I would have had to resign from my adjunct teaching job.