Western Governors University Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 27, 2017

2.7

Manager, Project Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Western Governors University (Salt Lake City, UT) in June 2016.

Interview

30 minute telephone interview. WGU recruiter sent an email permitting me to schedule an available time on your calendar - worked perfectly. Recruiter called on time, was extremely pleasant and articulate. Asked current and expected salary. Shared range for this position. My current and this position are disparate. The job sounded very interesting, and WGU has an amazing opportunity to change post-secondary education in the USA. If WGU is within your salary range, highly recommend interviewing.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a difficult management situation that you had to handle and what did you do.   Answer Question

Enrollment Counselor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Western Governors University (Salt Lake City, UT) in June 2016.

Interview

Tell us what your weaknesses are ? Very high pressure - 2 people interviewed me at the same time . Not very comfortable. Didn't give me any idea about pay, which I found very disturbing and questionable, yet expected me to be interested anyway. Manager of Business in enrollment was nice yet evasive and I've heard things about him not too positive.

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Western Governors University in June 2016.

Interview

I was contacted by the Hiring Manager for an interview. We met and she was very nice and straight forward on the role, questions and information related to the role. A couple of weeks went by and then I had a follow up interview with the Director and Manager within the same week. I was not told if this was the final step and did not hear from anyone for about a week. Then I received an invitation for a final interview with a co-worker in the same role. Another week went by and I was contacted by the HR representative that I was still in consideration for the role. The next week, I received the offer. WGU seems like a great organization and unfortunately, I ended up declining due to another offer that came in around the same time.

Interview Questions

• Talk about how you manage projects and which systems you use.   Answer Question

Student Mentor - Faculty Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Western Governors University in June 2016.

Interview

Three phone interviews. First interview was with human resources person, second was with a departmental representative, third/final was with a higher-level employee. Standard questions. Salary was not very good, especially for someone living in the Northeast with a high cost of living. Third interviewer was rude.

Student Mentor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Western Governors University (Salt Lake City, UT) in May 2016.

Interview

I had 2 Skype type interviews. The first one was preliminary with questions that you would expect. The second was with some "Higher Ups" and was longer. Overall, it was a smooth, rather timely experience.

Interview Questions

• What is one policy that you disagree with at your current position and what did you do about it? Give a specific example of when you had to deliver disappointing news to a student. What did you say?   Answer Question

Course Mentor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Western Governors University.

Interview

I had a very positive experience. There were 3 interviews...within 2 weeks. First one covered basic questions, second was panel with scenarios and third was role playing. Everyone was very nice and made it really comfortable.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiations. I was happy with the offer.

Student Mentor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Western Governors University in May 2016.

Interview

I was contacted for an interview about a week after I applied online. The interview went well over Adobe with general questions. It lasted about 30 mins total. I was told that they would pass my video along to the next supervisor. I have not heard back from them in over a week and I am highly qualified.
    *Disappointed*

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in working here?
      What do you know about our University?
      Why would you make the perfect fit?
      Answer Question

Student Mentor - Faculty Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Western Governors University (Salt Lake City, UT) in May 2016.

Interview

Applied online via the WGU website. I received an interview request 4 weeks later via email. I selected a date/time with the option to reschedule if needed. The first interview was casual and brief with normal "screening" questions. 2 days later I received a request for a 2nd interview. I interviewed with the Program Manager and the interview was more detailed. Questions included "walk me through your resume...explain a situation when..." Supervisor references were requested at the end of the interview. 1 day after references were submitted, I received a phone call with job offer and more details about start/travel dates.

Course Mentor Interview

Application

Interview

1) online application
    2) virtual interview with a recruiter (<1 wk)- nuts and bolts of the position, specific requirements
    [no teaching presentation required]
    3) virtual interview with program manager and other course mentors (<1 wk)- subject matter expertise, approach to challenging situations, culture fit
    4) virtual interview with senior manager (<1 wk)- forthcoming presentation of pros and cons of the position, gauging interest
    5) job offer (<1 wk), full process less than 3 weeks despite work schedule

Instructional Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Western Governors University (Salt Lake City, UT) in May 2016.

Interview

Interview process started with phone interviews. Five phone interviews in total. First interview was an "HR screening interview." Three calls were with Product Development team managers. Additional interview was with a lead instructional Designer. Two week gap between phone interviews and face to face interviews. F2F interviews were conducted at SLC office. Met with 3 of the same managers plus 3 additional managers/VP/directors within the department.

*At the time of this review, decisions have not been made about the position.

Interview Questions

• Everyone asked why the interest in WGU. Questions about experience, and scenario questions, "tell me about a time when..." "How would you go about...."   Answer Question