Western Governors University Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Western Governors University Interview Questions

Updated Jun 4, 2017

2.7

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Western Governors University (Salt Lake City, UT) in May 2016.

Interview

Applied online via the WGU website. I received an interview request 4 weeks later via email. I selected a date/time with the option to reschedule if needed. The first interview was casual and brief with normal "screening" questions. 2 days later I received a request for a 2nd interview. I interviewed with the Program Manager and the interview was more detailed. Questions included "walk me through your resume...explain a situation when..." Supervisor references were requested at the end of the interview. 1 day after references were submitted, I received a phone call with job offer and more details about start/travel dates.

Instructional Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Western Governors University (Salt Lake City, UT) in May 2016.

Interview

Interview process started with phone interviews. Five phone interviews in total. First interview was an "HR screening interview." Three calls were with Product Development team managers. Additional interview was with a lead instructional Designer. Two week gap between phone interviews and face to face interviews. F2F interviews were conducted at SLC office. Met with 3 of the same managers plus 3 additional managers/VP/directors within the department.

*At the time of this review, decisions have not been made about the position.

Interview Questions

• Everyone asked why the interest in WGU. Questions about experience, and scenario questions, "tell me about a time when..." "How would you go about...."   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Western Governors University (Salt Lake City, UT) in May 2016.

Interview

WGU uses AdobeConnect for interviews and my server locks flash payer installs. The interview did not occur as first scheduled. The nice recruiter rescheduled and I found anothern pc that allowed flash player & AdobeConnect. The second interview was almost an hour, amicable, and rather enjoyable with a lot of discussion about the nuts and bolts of the job functions. The recruiter seemed rather supportive and explained the next steps in the interview process. Unfortunately, I received an email thanking me but saying they were hiring another applicant. I was very disappointed. It is kind of a gut check to be rejected - even though I understand the system.

Interview Questions

• Could I come for a one week training and job orientation?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Western Governors University (Salt Lake City, UT) in May 2016.

Interview

Completed online applications. Approximately 2 weeks later I received and email requesting and interview via Adobe Connect/Web Cam. 1 week later I received another email asking to interview with the Program Manager.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for WGU
      What do you know about WGU
      What are your strength and weaknesses

Tier I Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Western Governors University (Salt Lake City, UT) in May 2016.

Interview

The interview process was a very quick and fast process, within hours of submitting my application online, I had a phone screening and then a job interview the next week. A week later and I got an offer.

When I went in and had the in person interview they were direct but kind and very inquisitive. They asked several technical questions, how would you handles this type of scenario questions, and asked about outside of job experience.

They wanted me also to come prepared to talk about WGU, so I also gathered some background info on WGU as well. The more information you have, you can be very flexible as to what you talk about.

Interview Questions

• What do you do if Microsoft Outlook is not sending emails   1 Answer
    • Name some ipconfig commands   1 Answer
    • What if Scenario Questions   1 Answer
    • What do you do if someones video wont play   1 Answer

Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Western Governors University in May 2016.

Interview

The interview was conducted via Adobe Connect. The interviewer was very nice, easy to talk with, and professional. The questions asked were basically about your qualification. At the end of the interview, the interviewer went over the work schedule, salary, training, and insurance policy. I was told that I should be contacted again if the team decides to forward my application for round 2 interview, but I was never contacted.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about WGU?
      Why do you want to work for WGU?

Student Mentor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alma, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Western Governors University (Alma, CO) in May 2016.

Interview

I applied for the job. I did get an interview. It was kind of weird because instead of talking about me and how I would fit into their company, or my past experience, the gentleman just spoke about the company. It almost seemed like he was following a script.

Interview Questions

• The only question that I was asked was if I think I could do the job.   1 Answer

Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Western Governors University.

Interview

Friendly conversation. Explained benefits. Enthusiastic about the university and their developing role. Seemed that the university is in a growing period. They asked about salary and discussed hours and time frame. Seemed like there were some great benefits to working at the school.

Course Mentor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dothan, AL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Western Governors University (Dothan, AL) in April 2016.

Interview

Enjoyable. Done via web cam. Very nice people. Discussed resume, reason for wanting to work at WGU. Salary expectations, scheduling, benefits. Explained further steps in the hiring process. Overall a very nice experience for a job interview.

Interview Questions

• What you would expect regarding work history and future goals.   Answer Question

Student Mentor - MED Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Muncie, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Western Governors University (Muncie, IN) in April 2016.

Interview

First interview was by phone/video through AdobeConnect. Very simple to use. Discussed my resume, described the job, salary, benefits, my availability date. Was told that it was being recorded, and was I ok with that. Said my info would be passed on to the Senior Manager for review, and I should hear from them in 1-2 weeks with a request for a second interview or a decline.

UPDATE: Had a second interview, same AdobeConnect format, a week after the first interview. It was with the Senior Hiring Manager for the department I applied to. About 45 minutes long, some questions repeated. Was told they were still interviewing candidates and that I would hear back either way, but he said he didn't want to give me a specific time frame because if it was one day later people tended to be upset. It will be 2 weeks tomorrow and I haven't heard anything. Hoping to hear soon!

UPDATE 2: Received the standard form rejection letter. Have applied for several jobs at WGU online but will not be interviewing again if asked. I'm highly qualified for the position, so I have no idea what kind of employee they're looking for, but it's clearly not me.

Interview Questions

• Why is now a good time for me to leave teaching in public education and come to work for them?
      How would I handle a student who wasn't getting their work done?
      Give an example of a time I had a problem at work, and how did I solve it?