Western & Southern Financial Group Interview Questions in Cincinnati, OH | Glassdoor

Western & Southern Financial Group Interview Questions in Cincinnati, OH

Updated Jun 6, 2017

2.5

17 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

IT Service Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Western & Southern Financial Group (Cincinnati, OH) in May 2017.

Interview

Two interviews with HR, three required online exams, one phone and one in-person interview with IT. The first couple of interviews just cover basic behavioral skills (dealing with angry customers, etc). The final interviews cover the technical background. The in-person interview with IT was a retread of the phone interview (was asked the same exact questions).

Business Analyst II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Western & Southern Financial Group (Cincinnati, OH) in December 2016.

Interview

Phone screen with HR followed by a phone screen with the hiring manager. I then went in for in-person interviews with 5 people, including HR and the hiring manager. Process was smooth. Did not "click" with last two senior management people, questions seemed like they were taken from a list rather than important to the role.

Interview Questions

• What techniques did I use when gathering requirements from project stakeholders?   Answer Question

Actuarial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Western & Southern Financial Group (Cincinnati, OH) in August 2016.

Interview

I applied through LinkedIn and the next day was scheduling for a phone interview. The phone interview went well and we scheduled an in person interview. The interview lasted from 8am to about 1pm with several different higher ups and then a lunch with employees. Everyone was very friendly and conversational. All of their questions were phrased like, "describe a time when...". They ended up going with someone who had more exams passed and the recruiter took the time to actually let me know if I had the job or not.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to persuade a colleague to go with your proposal.   Answer Question

ETL Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Western & Southern Financial Group (Cincinnati, OH) in April 2016.

Interview

I have applied online for the position and after two days I received an email from the recruiter asking few questions about the position like my willingess to relocate to Cincinnati, Ohio and the expected salary range. The recruiter also asked my availability for the phone screen the next week. The process took seven days right from the time I have applied. I strongly suggest to apply for the company if and only if you have a Green Card - EAD or if you are a US Citizen, then generally won't consider candidates with other types of work authorization for most of the positions.

Interview Questions

• Are you willing to relocate to Cincinnati, OH? If so, what is the reason for your relocation   1 Answer
    • What is you expected Salary or Salary range?   1 Answer
    • What is your work authorization in the United States?   1 Answer

Underwriter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Western & Southern Financial Group (Cincinnati, OH) in February 2016.

Interview

I received an interview via phone the same day I applied for the job. The interview was laid back and extremely informative. All benefits were discussed up front, as were hours and amenities at the facility, including subsidized parking garages, free meals at the on-site cafeteria, and workout center.

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Western & Southern Financial Group (Cincinnati, OH) in July 2015.

Interview

It was a straight forward interview, you have to collect market data from your friends and family before you're hired and a blood test for your drug screen. It's a great opportunity that if you're willing to go and do the work for is lucrative.

Interview Questions

• They want you to be interested in making it a career, so don't go into this thinking that it's a short term position.   Answer Question

There is somewhere along the line of a $300-$400 startup, my girlfriend happened to run into trouble with her schooling around the same time and money got tight. So I decided to wait on this type of opportunity.

Vice President Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Western & Southern Financial Group (Cincinnati, OH) in February 2015.

Interview

The interview included a phone screen with HR, a call with an executive, and an onsite interview with 8 people. The only complaint I would levy is that having 8 back to back interviews with no planned breaks is exhausting. HR was helpful and friendly. The culture is more formal than most places.

Interview Questions

• There really weren't any unexpected or difficult questions. Interviewing style varied greatly between interviewers.   Answer Question

Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Western & Southern Financial Group (Cincinnati, OH) in August 2013.

Interview

3 interviews. One with human resources, and two subsequent interviews with management. Usually takes a few weeks. Prior to a job offer being extended Human resources prefers to contact your references.

Interview Questions

• They are interested in any gaps in your employment history.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Salary and Schedule

Financial Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Western & Southern Financial Group (Cincinnati, OH) in April 2013.

Interview

It was an extremely easy interview process in general, pretty up front. I applied online and heard back immediately from one of the hiring sales managers. I had two In person interviews and then I got an offer right away.

Desktop Management Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Western & Southern Financial Group (Cincinnati, OH) in March 2013.

Interview

I was cold-called by their recruiting department, who found my resume on a well-known job search website. Unusual to have THEM come to ME, but I wasn't complaining. I got back in touch with them the next day and did an initial "I am not a psychopath" HR interview over the phone before being handed off to an IT-specific HR contact. This person was back in touch with me very swiftly to schedule a face-to-face interview. Four days later I was in a suit and downtown at the corporate office to interview.

One of the first things that struck me just from being inside the company was that nobody smiled; nobody was pleasant. No one was rude, but they weren't happy to see you by any means. There just didn't seem to be any joy in the place.

I arrived early and waited for my initial "not a crazy person" interview with the HR contact. This seemed to go well and she came across as congenial. The same interview questions you've had at every interview for every job ever ... what's your greatest strength, what's your greatest weakness, etc. We touched on dress code, and I was informed that it's professional dress every day, although "gentlemen have the option to not wear a jacket" (hooray). Then this was rescinded with a comment about how it would be a good idea to KEEP a jacket at my theoretical workstation ... anytime a trip over to the EXECUTIVE SUITES would be required, it's tie and jacket at all times. Yes, there is apparently an actual Ivory Tower here labeled the EXECUTIVE SUITE.

After 30 minutes or so it was time to be handed off to the "AVP" (Assistant Vice President -- I asked) of the IT department. The HR contact promised to email me info on their benefits packages, and then told me I would definitely have some sort of idea of how things were going "by the end of the week".

An elevator ride and a walk through a particularly soulless cube farm brought us to a conference room, where it was time for interview number two with the AVP. It didn't go horribly but I could also tell that he wasn't particularly impressed. It's never a good sign when your humor falls flat, but it added to the feeling that this was a generally humorless environment. More "greatest strength, greatest weakness" questions, why do all of these guys read from the same script? I don't recall being asked anything technical at all. At this point I was picking up on the telltale signs of low morale, so I asked about the corporate culture. I was told that it was "collaborative", whatever that's supposed to mean, and then he launched into a tirade about how working remotely would not be tolerated under any circumstances. Oooooooooookay. I don't think he smiled the entire time, and honestly I felt like the deck was stacked against me before I even walked in. I got a real vibe like I was someone being shuffled onto his plate that he was only interviewing as a courtesy to someone. I think I could have lit my hair on fire and he would have only mildly raised an eyebrow.

The games began after I left. I never received the email with benefits info, and didn't hear anything back "by the end of the week" as promised, not even a 10 second voicemail to let me know that things were running behind. I was told that there would be one more person I would need to interview with, but he was "out of the country" and so he had to return, get things settled, and then find the time to interview with me. Uh huh. Thus began a cycle where I would call, ask what the status was, and be given an excuse each time that would hold me off for another week. During this time I was talking with employees (I actually know a person who works there) and reading reviews of the company (thanks Glassdoor) which seemed to confirm the "Misery Pit" feeling I had from being inside the company. After two and a half weeks of limbo, I received a professional but curt voicemail informing me that they were going with another candidate. And may God have mercy on his soul.

Interview Questions

• Not really a question, but the (completely out of the blue) tirade against working remotely was ... interesting. It's usually not a good sign when your IT department is actively trying to hold back new technologies.   1 Answer