Westinghouse Principal Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Westinghouse Principal Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Oct 5, 2016

2.7

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cranberry, PA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Westinghouse (Cranberry, PA) in October 2016.

Interview

Interviewed for direct engineering position. Positive and relaxed interview atmosphere. Interview was personality based. Questions were guided so that I could relate specific examples and stories of actions that I took in order to resolve difficult situations. Wanted to know how I envisioned my "style" as an engineer and whether I saw myself as a team player.

Interview Questions

• Tell me an example of when you saw someone doing something unethical and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Westinghouse

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Westinghouse (Pittsburgh, PA) in November 2014.

Interview

It is a phone interview. I have spent 30 minutes talking about my own experience. The hiring manager has spent about 20 minutes talking about the job requirements. Then we asked each other some questions. Express our expectations. The process was good. The only catch was that it sounded like a dead end position to me. Therefore, I was not very interested at the end of the interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cranberry Twp, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Westinghouse (Cranberry Twp, PA) in April 2013.

Interview

Conference room, with hiring manger, HR, and experienced engineer. They asked questions about experience and situations. They give you a bank of questions and are looking for you to show three things - what the situation was, what your solution path was, and how you accomplished it. They asked about type of managerial styles that were preferred and we discussed what types of software and analysis capability i had. the panel was interested if i had done any calculations or design based on a variety of codes.

Interview Questions

• tell us about a time you failed and how did you overcome it   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Columbia, SC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Westinghouse (Columbia, SC) in June 2010.

Interview

It was very professional. I felt very comfortable with the panel review and skills test.

Interview Questions

• How do you deal with confrontation?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I did not negotiate on my salary.

Principal Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Westinghouse in January 2010.

Interview

I had two interviews - a phone interview and an in-person group interview. The phone interview, with the hiring manager and one of his employees, was typical and went well. The face-to-face interview was with a recruiter, the hiring manager, and the other person from the team. That was not a very good experience. After leaving the lobby, the recruiter got lost trying to find the conference room. We were wandering around and the recruiter had to ask an employee for help. We finally got there about 10 minutes late; not sure if that negatively affected my candidacy in the mind of the hiring manager. It was odd having the recruiter be part of the group interview. Normally HR does the initial phone screening, the hiring manager (and others if desired) will do the actual interviewing, and then HR will come back into the picture for the offer/negotiations. I don't believe the recruiter had anything constructive to offer in the interview. If that is standard practice for Westinghouse, then that's poor process and a shame. The recruiter also goofed and was acting as if they had already spoken to me on the phone, when in fact it was a different recruiter that I dealt with. Also, it did not appear that the three interviewers had prepared at all. They were openly talking amongst themselves in front of me throughout the interview on how they should approach it, what questions to ask, etc. Very unprofessional. The question and answer itself went okay, however. Ultimately, I did not get offered the job. To top it off, several weeks later I still have not been reimbursed for my interview expenses. From what I saw, I was not impressed with the office environment - just a bunch of bland cubes. From my experience and from reading other posts, it seems Westinghouse is going downhill, and being bandied about by foreign owners is not helping. Their fortunes may change in the future due to the prospects of nuclear power, but the company is just a shadow of its once-great self.

Interview Questions

• All of the questions were simple behavioral questions (such as Give an example of a time when X, or What did you do in Y situation, etc), so there really weren't any particularly difficult or off-the-wall questions. Maybe the most thought-provoking question was (paraphrasing): Describe a time when you developed an alternative course of action to solve a problem or to take advantage of an opportunity, and what were your decision criteria?   Answer Question

Principal Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Westinghouse in January 2009.

Interview

The interview was a panel interview with 5 scheduled participants, but only three showed up. I was basically questioned on behavioral type issues. It was a relatively easy interview, and they send you sample questions prior to the interview, so if you blow it, you probably have yourself to blame.

Interview Questions

• Giving examples that were pertinent to the question asked   Answer Question

Negotiation

Very rigid. I was desperate at the time so I accepted.