Trader Joe's Interview Question: What would you do if you foun... | Glassdoor

Interview Question

Interviewee Interview Orange, CA

What would you do if you found a penguin the freezer?

Answer

Interview Answer

79 Answers

Only correct answer: Call animal control. This shows responsibility and respect for the animal and fellow coworkers.

Interview Candidate on Sep 24, 2015

Adopt him, name him George, and give him lots of hugs! Maybe train him to fetch stuff.

Zoe on Mar 29, 2016

Give him some fish.

Anonymous on Mar 29, 2016

Place it on top of the television set, and wait for 8 o'clock, when the penguin will explode. . .

Anon E. Mouse on Mar 29, 2016

Ask him if he needed help finding what he was shopping for.

Anonymous on Mar 29, 2016

Check the bar code on the penguin and move it into the poultry isle.

Steve Jarman on Mar 29, 2016

put on the movie "happy feet" and hold a dance party

Please see our Community Guidelines or Terms of Service for more information.

I'd pet him, kiss his forehead, take him out, put him on the sofa and watch a movie together.

Mr. M on Mar 29, 2016

Check the vanilla ice cream...

MojaveMan on Mar 29, 2016

Dead or alive ?

Joe on Mar 29, 2016

I'd do the same thing if I found an emu in the oven.

Doug on Mar 29, 2016

Let him out!

Anonymous on Mar 29, 2016

Close the door and stop drinking.

paul on Mar 29, 2016

Give him the thumbs up and close the door, he wants some alone time obviously.

Vincent on Mar 29, 2016

Take Grandpa out to give him some room.

Tim on Mar 29, 2016

Wait for it to thaw, take off the silver paper and enjoy as normal. Possibly with a hot beverage.

Dr Weekes-Money on Mar 29, 2016

Use penguin as a marketing tool.

Anonymous on Mar 29, 2016

Feed the penguin some fresh fish.

papabearshawk on Mar 29, 2016

Celebrate. I've been looking for him all morning.

Steve on Mar 29, 2016

Take a picture, contact the zoo

Melanie on Mar 29, 2016

Please see our Community Guidelines or Terms of Service for more information.

I will take it as a warning sign and check if my heating system is in place or if there is any dampness or a leakage in my kitchen/house.

Irfan on Mar 29, 2016

Feed it!

Karen Daly on Mar 29, 2016

Don't open the oven door, just in case there is a dragon inside.

MadMax on Mar 29, 2016

I'd stick it in the microwave and defrost it for dinner.

Anonymous on Mar 29, 2016

Close the door, clearly he's happier in the cold!

Mark on Mar 29, 2016

Give him some fish and tell him to hit the road! There is no free rent here.

Eric on Mar 29, 2016

I would be happy to know that my IoT freezer is running Linux.

*IoT = Internet of Things.

Abdulla Omar on Mar 29, 2016

Buy a new freezer! He's probably pooped in this one.

Allen Newton on Mar 29, 2016

Shut the freezer door, go fix a nice cup of coffee, relax, and then calmly examine the issue of the penguin in the freezer....

Wendy on Mar 29, 2016

Please see our Community Guidelines or Terms of Service for more information.

I would name it Pen Pen, call Misato Katsuragi and tell her to come and pick her bird up.

Shannon on Mar 29, 2016

Take a selfie!

Andreea on Mar 29, 2016

Loooooooooool, I would close the door :)))))))))))

Alex Gavrila on Mar 29, 2016

Most of these are ice breakers with no real intention other than to loosen up the candidate, in order to see their real personality.

Cory on Mar 29, 2016

Check to see if it was real and then find out which joker from frozen foods put it in there and how to get it back where it came from before management finds out.

Anonymous on Mar 29, 2016

I'd tell him if he gives me a couple of free tickets I won't tell anyone I found him!

jjay on Mar 29, 2016

Leave him there. I don't mind my technologically advanced freezer running Linux!

Shake on Mar 29, 2016

Name it Private and take him everywhere I go.

Matt on Mar 29, 2016

Penguins come from the cold frozen locals, so being frozen in a freezer is no problem. Make sure he's breathing, if he is, offer some fish and close the door. If he's not, close the door and Google "How to prepare a penguin properly".

icechips on Mar 29, 2016

Am I the only one who's first reaction would be to wonder why there is a penguin in my fridge?! Can we focus on the real issue here; somehow a penguin got in your fridge and you're not even going to question why or how?!

Anonymous on Mar 29, 2016

Take a selfie with my new friend and post it on FB.

Snow bear on Mar 29, 2016

Call a police, cause that bast.rd came into my house and drank all of my vodka, so he deserved to be shot.

Bogdan on Mar 29, 2016

Call 911

Lori on Mar 30, 2016

Put in a doggie door

tJ on Mar 30, 2016

I would not worry about him, if he is alive, he is fine, the temperature in the freezer is his living environment. But either dead or alive, he should not be there, so I would get him out first, then figure out what to do with him later.

Tony on Mar 30, 2016

depends ... is he with Joker, Riddler, or Catwoman ?

always-be-Batman on Mar 30, 2016

Close the door and sit back and watch other peoples reactions when they open the freezer.

ShinyObject on Mar 30, 2016

I would shut the refrigerator door!!

Anonymous on Mar 30, 2016

Eat! Probably it's the Penguin Ice Cream Bar which children loves it....

NitroGenex on Mar 30, 2016

Ask him to stop eating the frozen fish sticks.

BPS on Mar 30, 2016

Get it away from the food. That's unsanitary.

Double-Oh Savant on Mar 30, 2016

Check the expiration date.

Jill on Mar 30, 2016

Scream lol

Scream lol

Anonymous on Mar 30, 2016

first ask why you meant by "found a Penguin the freezer"? are we lacking some words in there?

Look for another penguin

Jim on Mar 30, 2016

I agree this type of question is an ice breaker in a way, however there is always another reason for this to be asked which does involve whether you are a good candidate for the position and will represent the company's values. I would assume the person asking the question wants to see #1- how you respond to questions that you couldn't possibly prepare/study for to help reveal your more candid personality and sense of humor and #2- honestly how you would handle ANY situation that might come up in work that takes you by complete surprise.

That being said, I would first laugh to show I had a sense of humor, and then answer the question as if I was actually faced with that situation. I would start by clarifying if we are talking about a single living penguin. Assuming that is the case, I would first assess the situation including the penguin and his surroundings to make sure the penguin wasn't hurt or in distress, and make sure there was nothing in the freezer that I could foresee possibly being a danger to it. (*Showing that my priority is the safety of others...ie: customers, other employees; and that I don't immediately react and instead assess and identify the situation at hand and THEN take action.) Once I was comfortable enough leaving him in there, I would lock the freezer so nobody else went in, inform management (*if I wasn't applying for a management position) and call animal control to have the penguin taken out safely where they can ensure he is properly cared for and dealt with. Then I would begin investigating how the penguin ended up in the freezer (such as watching security footage if there was a camera and/or talking to other employees at the store) and take action to make sure nothing like that happens again. Once the penguin was removed, I would examine the freezer and it's contents to make sure everything was intact and cleaned and/or dealt with. And of course handling all of this as per company policies/procedures.

*However some of this answer would vary depending on the position I was applying for, whether a management position or something else. I wouldn't suggest I would take so much action over managements' head.

Kathleen on Mar 31, 2016

Is it dead or alive?

ManaT on Apr 6, 2016

I'd pull'em out. Give'em to drink a tea, talk about life.

Evgeniy on Apr 7, 2016

Take it out so it wouldn't suffocate.

Sidd on Apr 19, 2016

Is he dead or alive? (always answer a preposterous question with a qualifier question)

Sherry on Jun 8, 2016

It would depend on my situation. Is the penguin alive or dead? If alive I would feed them additionally to calling animal control. If dead what state are they in? The more gruesome the less reason I would likely search the house for any more and call the authorities.
Is this in my house, a friend or some random stranger? Could my friend be a zoo worker/vet and so was looking after penguin while the proper accommodations are being prepared. I would not only help the penguin out but make sure a firm lock is put in place so no more incidents like this could occur again.

Nat on Jun 10, 2016

Ask it if it liked the ice cream.

Michael on Sep 3, 2016

Close the door and call the zoo.

Carrie Sampson on Sep 22, 2016

Trader Joe's is known for their unique offerings. I would consider whether there was room in the freezer section between the fish and poultry.

Mary on Jan 27, 2017

Obviously the freezer is too cold for a canary. I check the mood of the penguin who lets me know whether or not my freezer temperature is cold enough. In return, I pay the penguin with some fresh fish.

Roobah on Jan 30, 2017

Take it to the butcher, then sell it.

Courtney on Feb 2, 2017

Go see a physiatrist's

Mimi on Mar 9, 2017

If it was till alive, I would take it out of the freezer and to a pemguin rescue group.

Mimi-Lou on Mar 27, 2017

Pull out my top hat and cane and start dancing with it? Who HASN'T seen Mary Poppins or Happy Feet?

Leslie on Apr 29, 2017

Panic of course. I mean, what the heck?!

Amel on May 15, 2017

I'd wonder how the heck it got there.

Just A Guy on Jun 1, 2017

Leave the lid cracked until spring.

Tracey Rogers on Nov 26, 2017

Close the freezer door.

sue rasmussen on Mar 11, 2018

First, consider getting more sleep because I’m clearly delusional. Second, make sure he/she is content then review the cameras to determine who put the penguin in the freezer since they don’t have the physical ability to get in their themselves. Third, give the penguin a name.

Cassie on Jul 26, 2018

I'd give him some fish and ask if he needed directions or a sweater.

Mel on Nov 21, 2018

Add Answers or Comments

To comment on this, Sign In or Sign Up.