Airbnb Interview Question: What would you do if you were... | Glassdoor

Interview Question

Trust and Safety Investigator Interview Portland, OR

What would you do if you were the one survivor in a plane

crash?
Tags:
i was the pilot without any passenger
Answer

Interview Answer

150 Answers

Be glad that I was flying solo that day.

John on Mar 18, 2015

Gain a new perspective on life.

Steve on Mar 21, 2015

If the airplane just crashed, i would try to get help from the outside world to save the people who might still be alive. Or at least I would try to tell everyone about what happened to the airplane so that the families of the people who died would have some closure on this terrible tragedy.
Then I would go home and hug my family.

Anonymous on Mar 23, 2015

Count my blessings...then get help.

Ann on Apr 1, 2015

Inventory my resources and stategically examine my available best options for rescue and recovery in order to maximize potential outcome (survival of myself and closure to families of lost lives).

B Siefers on Apr 1, 2015

Depends where it crashed

Ken on Apr 1, 2015

Feed on the remains of the dead.

Jenny on Apr 1, 2015

If it's a remote location, start going through the luggage for survival items. If it's a populated area, see if I can help others involved not in the plane and seek for help

Anonymous on Apr 1, 2015

Brush myself off and walk to this interview.

John on Apr 1, 2015

I would find my luggage and proceed to change my underwear because at that point I'm sure I would be soaked and stinking....

JonH on Apr 1, 2015

I wouldn't have to do anything. I just survived a Plane Crash!
Or I might start a new Airline.

arthur on Apr 1, 2015

Loot the bodies!

Scott on Apr 1, 2015

Would never fly again!

Would never fly again!

Anonymous on Apr 1, 2015

Sue the airplane manufacture and not have to answer another stupid interview question like this for the rest of my life.

Jack on Apr 1, 2015

So you're saying the position requires a lot of flying time? What are some of the other aspects of the job?

Ron on Apr 2, 2015

(Crickets,crickets) *walks out of interview*

Cookie on Apr 2, 2015

Would consider myself lucky and not waste the time that I was given answering stupid interview questions like this one.

Bob on Apr 2, 2015

Check if there is another survivor like me, help if there is any and find a safe place to go and try to communicate with the emergency rescue team...

Anonymous on Apr 2, 2015

Check if there is another survivor like me, help and try to communicate with the emergency rescue team to let them know my situation.

Check

Anonymous on Apr 2, 2015

Check for another survivors, help and try to communicate with the emergency rescue team.

Anonymous on Apr 2, 2015

Assuming I crashed somewhere that no one actually witnessed, I would use my cell phone to call for help... Then, while snuggling in to those incredibly comfortable blankets and mini-pillows that are available to me, (assuming it is cold outside), I would help myself to all of those free airline pretzels and sodas and hang out and wait until help arrives.

Of course, if I pulled off a Han Solo crash and landed on a golf course, I might just wait for the snack cart to come around and purchase something from them, as I never really liked those airline pretzels anyway...

Anonymous on Apr 2, 2015

Start shopping for a book deal.

HT on Apr 2, 2015

Realize that my work on earth has not been completed; So, I'm interviewing here today to pick up what I need to accomplish!

IM on Apr 2, 2015

Not a stupid Question !
Some of these answers are funny and provides insight into these applicants

Confused on Apr 2, 2015

Search the island for the hatch

Cem on Apr 2, 2015

Ah, crap! I knew I shouldn't have taken flight lessons from Harrison Ford.

JRH on Apr 2, 2015

Find my phone and text my answer to this board...

Anonymous on Apr 2, 2015

Immediately call my lawyer to initiate a lawsuit against the airline.

Joe on Apr 2, 2015

I would go look for survivors and help them

Anonymous on Apr 2, 2015

I would look for survivors and help them

Anonymous on Apr 2, 2015

Look for other survivors,say a quick prayer and call for help if I have signal if not check airplane for radio etc., to accomplish that. Take stock of situation, and wait for rescue.

Anonymous on Apr 2, 2015

Be thankful that I'm an only child so the inheritance is all mine!

Lucky on Apr 2, 2015

First; Thanks God for leave me alive and tell the interviewer; "You have the blessing of have me for this job".

Anonymous on Apr 2, 2015

Immediately post it on facebook

Sad truth on Apr 2, 2015

I'm alive, but am I injured, am I safe? If I'm not injured, and I'm safe, and I'm without a means of communication with civilization, make my way away from the wreckage until I'm certain that danger of injury from the wreckage has passed. If I am in a populace area, then authority figures will show up with instructions, if not, assess the environment for survival needs, amass them in a safe sheltered place and/or assemble a shelter util help arrives. If it takes more than 24 hours for some form of assistance to arrive, and I know the general area I am at, leave a 'visible from the air' sign of SOS and an arrow of the direction that I will be heading, then make my way to where I believe I can communicate with society.

Eleathia on Apr 2, 2015

Look for water

Look for water

Anonymous on Apr 2, 2015

I could be more experience than before also i could seek assistance

Mohamed on Apr 3, 2015

Have one of those expensive airline meals i hadn't been able to afford

Gabi on Apr 3, 2015

I'd keep the parachute as a souvenir

Marv on Apr 3, 2015

I would try to survive, while waiting to be rescued. I would check all the luggage if any are salvageable that is, for food, water, radios, phones, batteries, flashlights, flares or anything really to protect myself from wildlife.

Anonymous on Apr 3, 2015

Depends on if it is more important to get where I was going or if I should just try to find a way home.

pjl on Apr 3, 2015

I'd go through all the purses and wallets of those who perished and take their money.

Anonymous on Apr 3, 2015

Raid the beverage cart and get drunk.

Anonymous on Apr 3, 2015

Would wake up from my dream and thank god for this precious life

Anonymous on Apr 3, 2015

Wish I died, so I don't have to live in a world where people in charge come up with stupid questions like this and wonder why they have incompetent employees.

Anonymous on Apr 3, 2015

Thank God that all other passengers also survived.

Partha on Apr 3, 2015

Selfie!

OC on Apr 3, 2015

Clear out first class and post its availability on Airbnb

Robert on Apr 3, 2015

Befriend a volleyball.

Adam on Apr 3, 2015

Seek help

Seek help

D

Anonymous on Apr 3, 2015

take a deep breath, pray , then get help!

Anonymous on Apr 4, 2015

Open a business because I'd have no competition

Bryant on Apr 4, 2015

Pray to almighty God for sparing my life

Go through people's belongings

Anonymous on Apr 4, 2015

if there is apportunity to help i will help but will have to think about our own safety foremost

antonius prihadi teguh santoso on Apr 5, 2015

Since flying is one of the safest ways to travel, the likelihood of that actually happening is about zero. I’d rather think about and have thought about more important things in life.

Joe on Apr 5, 2015

I would check to see if there were any other survivors. I would not automatically assume everyone had perished.

Anonymous on Apr 5, 2015

I will find the people who were with me to save them and will find a place for a ll of us to gather

Anonymous on Apr 5, 2015

I would consider myself the most luckiest or unluckiest one. I would immediately thank God for the save.

Tenzin on Apr 6, 2015

Provide support to victims' families

Provide support

Anonymous on Apr 6, 2015

With no details given,a landing is a controlled crash. Therefore, after landing and parking the plane, I would hop on my car, drive to Starbucks get a cup of Latte, then drive to my interview.

Joe on Apr 6, 2015

Login on Glassdoor and make this POST!!!!!!!!! ................ PUMMM............Yes!...I post it :D

Rui Santos on Apr 6, 2015

Find shelter and food and a place to stay warm and out of the weather

Anonymous on Apr 6, 2015

Get a pencil and paper and write down the experience so that one day when I'm asked this question in a job interview I can have the answer ready!!!

anonymous on Apr 6, 2015

Check myself over then extricate myself and check the damages to the area I crashed in. See if anybody else got hurt. Notify authorities.

Go home and change my shorts.

Anonymous on Apr 6, 2015

The answer cannot be determined because the action has not happened.

Kevin on Apr 7, 2015

Wake up and make coffee

Anelle Luna on Apr 7, 2015

Try to live the best life I could to honor this that didn't make it

Anonymous on Apr 7, 2015

Stay with the wreckage or in the immediate area...rescue will be there looking for the black box and ill be rescued

Anthony kabunick on Apr 8, 2015

Enjoy the peace and quiet and live off the land.

Sylvia Houston on Apr 8, 2015

Take a selfie in front of the burning wreckage and post on Facebook

Pam on Apr 8, 2015

If there is a fire i will run and try to make any signs to help athurites to find us.

No fire i will try to help any body as much as i can.

Anonymous on Apr 8, 2015

That would be a golden experience which cannot be even shared 100% of it, so I will feel lucky enough, and start enjoying more than what I used to, because life itself has taken a bow on me...! be carefree....! like a free hit after a No Ball in cricket..!

Channabasava Gola on Apr 8, 2015

Crawl to find my missing leg

Vikram on Apr 9, 2015

I would check the bodies to see if any are good looking. Odd are the bodies are still warm

Barack Obama on Apr 9, 2015

I would check the baggage of any passengers for any of those flight insurance documents. I would then make myself the beneficiary.

One percenter on Apr 9, 2015

I would keep slapping face to make sure it's not a dream!!!! 😂

JD on Apr 9, 2015

Keep my wallet, watch, glasses, etc. in someone's (someone dead) pockets. Burn all the bodies after taking all the food supplies. Will fake my own death and will go live with gorillas.

Arpit on Apr 9, 2015

S.O.S

Sami on Apr 9, 2015

Be an ambassador for peace

Anonymous on Apr 9, 2015

I would regret taking that plane lol

i mean if i didn't take that plane, it would just has been one of those you see on news (a lot) recently.... And wtf would you expect me to do?

Anonymous on Apr 9, 2015

I would regret taking that plane lol must have scared the hell out of me

Anonymous on Apr 9, 2015

Look for the black box (assuming I'm not badly injured).

Ron Gutman on Apr 9, 2015

I would sue the airline and start a competing site to Airbnb

Eric on Apr 10, 2015

I would quickly hide in the undergrowth before the cannibals arrived. Since it was a large airliner there would be plenty for the cannibals to feast on, but I would follow their footsteps back to their village. Their women in the village would immediately recognize me as a God because of an ancient legend, and as a God I would immediately declare a rule that anyone who had eaten at the plane crash must be excommunicated. That would leave me living happily ever after with a hundred wives.

Dennis on Apr 10, 2015

Remain as come as possible Stay as close as possible to the crash site, wait to be rescued.

Anonymous on Apr 10, 2015

Assuming all communication systems were no longer operable, I would focus on finding the necessities (food, water, and the closest Airbnb). From there, I would begin reenacting the cinematic masterpiece Castaway to the best of my abilities. Years later when I'm eventually found after posting my 5 star review of Wilson's Cave, I'll be asked to sell the rights to my story and have it turned into a movie. The movie is released with Tom Hanks playing myself who was playing Tom Hanks who was playing a man who learned the hard way not to stay on islands that don't have Airbnb.

Eric on Apr 10, 2015

Check for working cell phones
Double Check for survivors
Call for help

Anonymous on Apr 10, 2015

Kill off all the walkers before they turn

Mario on Apr 10, 2015

If I'm that lucky, then I'll get this job.

KiDo on Apr 11, 2015

Look for the hatch.

Jim on Apr 11, 2015

Find a volleyball to hang out with. Make shelter, and find food.

Anonymous on Apr 11, 2015

That would depend upon which climatic region the plane crashed. What region would you like my answer to be for?

Anonymous on Apr 11, 2015

It depends upon which climatic region the plane crashed. For which region would like my answer?

Karessa on Apr 11, 2015

Say a prayer for the victims.
Try to communicate for help, look for safety, food, water, shelter.
Raid the drink cart !
Say another prayer.

John on Apr 11, 2015

Nothing special, because of I already have experience, not like this(Brain bleeding and I supposed to die). But I got experience after accident in 2007. You have experience somebody doesn't have.

The plane cash is nothing special but the experience is making you special.

Tony Jin on Apr 11, 2015

Continue surviving

Continue surviving :)

Anonymous on Apr 12, 2015

Once I had my wits about me, I'd figure out how to continue to survive.

Anonymous on Apr 12, 2015

If it was daylight, I would first try to find my cell phone or a cell phone to see if I can get cell phone service. The main reason is to gather my location and to hopefully send an SOS text. If it was dusk or dark, I would get myself in a safe location and figure out my next step when it is day light out.

Anonymous on Apr 12, 2015

I think this is a question where the interviewer wants to see your problem solving skills. They also want to know that you seek the information you need to best solve the problem. The best answer then would be questions. Where is the crash located. Were there other passengers? What is the current climate?

Be thankful that I survived

DJP on Apr 13, 2015

I will give my best contribution in plane investigation so that it may be helpful for reduce this type of accident and save many lives.

Kru on Apr 13, 2015

Would consider myself as Oliver Queen and get trained to be "The Arrow"

Shashank jaiswal on Apr 13, 2015

Call for help!

Anonymous on Apr 13, 2015

This post has been removed.
Please see our Community Guidelines or Terms of Service for more information.

Jump out of happiness

Anonymous on Apr 14, 2015

First thing take a selfie and post it to my status on Facebook. Then look for closest bar...

Marc Tanner on Apr 14, 2015

Anonymous on Apr 14, 2015

Assuming I was flying solo, Seek out help, Look for water need in 3 days, 30 days for food.

Mike Barnett on Apr 14, 2015

??

Anonymous on Apr 14, 2015

Enjoy the freedom for a while and hope to never have to sit in an interview again answering useless questions unless its with my attorney asking me what I intend I do with 10 million dollars from the lawsuit I'm about to receive from the crash.

Scotty k on Apr 14, 2015

Write a book on the incident.

Anonymous on Apr 14, 2015

Cry. Lie down on the ground and cry.

anthony on Apr 15, 2015

I'll search the way to see people

Vanathy on Apr 16, 2015

Celebrate...

Anonymous on Apr 20, 2015

Pray

Anonymous on Apr 20, 2015

If i was the only one that survived in an airplane crash... i would be lucky that i was alive.. get up knowing everyone else is dead and freak out.. be crying... panicking trying to get help ... try to call my family and tell them im alright, then just pray and thank god for letting me live and taking a different route in life. Lastly i would NEVER go on a plane again ever in my life!

Alicia D on Apr 27, 2015

My answer depends on the context this questions is being asked.

Anonymous on May 4, 2015

Try to reconnect with the World, Find the time, date, search for clues.

Anonymous on May 4, 2015

Anonymous on May 12, 2015

Head to the nearest corner store and buy a lottery ticket, because it was definitely my LUCKY DAY!

Jonathan on May 12, 2015

Use Airbnb app to find where to stay...

Yesitsme on May 13, 2015

no comment

ANTONIO CASIMIRO ZECA on May 14, 2015

Move to a safe distance in case the plane caught fire. If it didnt, I'd return and scavange for food, tools, building materials, medical supplies, fuel, weapons, etc. I hope I would have the courage to roll the dead for useful items is small electronics still operational, etc. Then I would try to find or build shelter, consume safe galley foods before exploring native foods. Set signal flags,. Explore option of destroying plane as signal flare and to avoid diseases associated with decaying fellow passengers. Finally, I would sit down and have a good cry, consume as many of those little liquor bottles as I could, wake up and start a new day always certain this could be the day I go home.

Theresa on May 15, 2015

1. Give first aid to people who need it to save as much people as possible
2. Decide on a leadership strategy
3. Seek shelter for those injured and out of any harsh climate or wildlife
4. Find food and water
5. Find signalling device or put one together if my available
6. Look for a vantage point for signalling
7. If I begin to get desperate I would explore the areas the have a probable population, according to what I could see from the vantage point in step 6
8. Start thinking about surviving for as long as possible

Omar Alanizi on May 15, 2015

1. Firstly, I am the only survivor so that means I have already check for other survivors.
2. So the only logical thing to do is search and gather food and water supplies because this will determine my my deadline of time I have remaining to figure a way to safety.

Oli on May 21, 2015

Survive.

Anonymous on May 21, 2015

Sue the airlines and make a film about it. LOL

Syepha on Jun 1, 2015

find the nearest chalk board and write 100 times, "I will not take first solo flight selfies'

Anonymous on Jun 12, 2015

My first course of action would be to check to see if the radio on the plane was still working to call for help as that would link me directly with the people that I would need to contact for help. If not I would check to see if my phone if I had one had a signal or if not if there was one among the wreckage. I would then check to make sure that there was indeed no one else that had survived or if there was someone who might need some help. Afterwards I would check for supplies of food and water and if the plane was still fit to provide me with some shelter or if I could make one from bits of it for long enough for me to await search and rescue as sticking close by to the crash if possible is the most wise course of action and would give the best odds of retrieval. If I could meet the three main basic needs for survival whilst awaiting rescue and my only course of action was to move on (for example if in a desert with mountains in the distance it is usually that way because the mountains is blocking the weather system so there would be moisture on the other side etc) or look for high ground so I could make a judgement of which direction would be best to travel in. And I would write my name how the crash happened the date that it happened and the direction that I had travelled in on the side of the plane before I left or leave some other form of indicator. I have flown Ryanair so it is basically standard procedure!

Michael Fisher on Sep 2, 2015

First of all, you need to find out more about the question. It speaks about you being the only survivor in a plane crash... Which raises more questions..

- Was it a small single engine plane? Was I the only survivor because actually, I was the only one on it? Or was it an A380 with over 200 people on it?
- Where did the crash take place?
- Was it day or night?
etc. etc.

Basic rules of survival are
-Protection (you need to protect yourself from any hazards, including the weather)
-Location ( you need to move to a safe area, to protect yourself from the rain, the sun, even wild animals, etc.)
-Water (you'll need this more than you'll need food. As a human, you can survive a lot longer without food than water. If you do stumble across any alcohol, try to refrain from drinking any, though that's all you'll want to have at that point! Alcohol causes dehydration and that is definitely not you'll want)
-Food

^^ in that order!

Gio on Oct 13, 2015

I would look for Jeff Probst and win the individual reward challenge so I could earn a tarp, a few pounds of rice and a piece of flint so I could "get fire"!

Tim on Nov 9, 2015

I am Not only in plane because pilot and co-pilot never leave their plane in this situation.
and if i am only in this plane so first i will see geographic area if plane passed through any city so i will try to turn plane to out of city and as soon i will find to exit plan if possible.

Harshit on Nov 25, 2015

Drop to my knees and pray, thanking God for having saved me. Then I would seek solitude to listen for God's voice speaking to me and guiding my purpose for the rest of my days.

CK on Dec 9, 2015

I would open this page and read all comments

Alex on Dec 10, 2015

Finally find out what the ending of Lost was all about.

Chris on Dec 16, 2015

Hope my phone survived and it has battery

Zoe on Feb 10, 2016

I would turn on my cellphone and call you to say that I'll be late for work.

Stephen on Feb 12, 2016

asdf,.masdf

kjaf;klsd on Feb 22, 2016

I'm glad I saw this; I have an interview tomorrow and this will be 1 of my questions for the interviewer. I'll see if they have done THEIR homework!

JERRY TYNDALL on Feb 24, 2016

Next time, I will ask an experienced copilot to accompany me because flying it "alone" is not safe.

Anonymous on Jul 9, 2017

I would open a business called "How to survive a plane crash".

Aleksa on Aug 15, 2017

Add Answers or Comments

To comment on this, Sign In or Sign Up.