White Ops Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at White Ops

2.8

Summer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at White Ops (New York, NY) in April 2018.

Interview

My interview with White Ops was overall a great experience! I originally was not too knowledgable about the company, but after having a call with the founder, Michael Tiffany, it was clear White Ops is an extremely exciting startup. He explained how White Ops is primarily interested in promoting global cybersecurity by disrupting the economic platforms and the high prices that make writing exploits or bots profitable. The White Ops website really conveys how interested they are in the "hacker mindset," and Michael really confirmed it as well as telling me about their fluid team structure and culture that is most suitable for "tinkerers."

I had another offer, and Viriginia Lloyd was really helpful at expediting the interview process and helping me make my decision. Highly recommend applying! In the end, I did not accept the offer because I was less interested in the specific team that I was placed on.

Interview Questions

• Mostly behavioral questions. I was asked about high level concepts, though.   Answer Question

Engineering Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at White Ops (New York, NY) in March 2018.

Interview

The interview process was flawless!

First, I talked to the company's recruiter to clarify the role and my background. After that, I had a video chat with the VP of Engineering. The third step was an on-site interview where I met with various people from product, design, tech, VP of engineering and CEO. Because of the availabilities of the interviewers we had to split this steps into 2 visits. I really didn't mind that but the recruiter really felt bad that he had to do it. Really not a big deal on my part. When I left the office I got some goodies bag which was really thoughtful and unique.

Another observation I made is that everyone in the office is super nice and helpful. When I was waiting in the lobby for my interview, 3 employees stoped by and asked if I need help

Interview Questions

• How do you deal with low performing employee?   Answer Question
    • How do you solve browser caching when you deploy a new version of the site?   Answer Question

Technical Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at White Ops (New York, NY) in March 2018.

Interview

I was recruited through a headhunter. Initially I applied for a technical manager of the front end team. The recruiter setup an initial video call with the VP of Engineering. After that I was brought on site to speak with 4 team members about the role. Including the CTO, two engineers, and a product manager. After this interview I was retargeted for another role which was a better fit. After this I had a final interview with the CEO, and some of the other engineers on the team. Overall I had a great interview process, and really enjoyed speaking with the team. Everyone was really great, and I enjoyed the attitude and atmosphere of the office. The HR team was really helpful towards the end of the process answering remaining questions I had about the role.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about your best hire.
      Tell us about your worst hire.   Answer Question
    • Tell us about a recent failure.   Answer Question
    • What are some things you look for during the recruiting process.   Answer Question
    • A lot of culture fit questions around how you would handle various situations.   Answer Question
    • Describe various branching, and release strategies for git.   Answer Question

Technical Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at White Ops.

Interview

A recruiter reached out to me about a TPM (Tech Program Manager) role, but the job description called it a Tech Project Manager. I replied to her that it didn't seem like my area, and that I was looking for a senior position. She said, they decided to look for senior people and I should at least take a call. I had the initial phone screening, which seemed odd because the recruiter sounded disinterested in me. Yet, she asked me to speak with the hiring manager next. 5 minutes into that interview, we both knew it wasn't the right role for me. But she liked my background and wanted to send my info to another team.
    Fast forward, I get random emails from some other recruiter at the company who rejects me for the role I interviewed for (no kidding), then sends me another email about another role, to which I reply I'm not interested. I then get another reject templated email. Finally, a fourth email from same person inviting me to apply to a different role. I ignored that one. They seem to have a messy recruiting process.

Interview Questions

• What is your process for keeping everyone on track in a project?   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at White Ops (New York, NY) in May 2018.

Interview

I was contacted by the recruiter. She was very pleasant and professional. Described the company, job details very thoroughly. The next one was technical interview with a data scientist. Very friendly and made you quite comfortable. Asked all the right questions. By this time I received another job offer and short time to decide. The recruiter went out of the way to schedule interviews with CTO over the weekend. Says a lot about company culture and passion to hire the right people. Unfortunately I had to accept offer from another company due to time constraints but I had a great experience overall with the company.

Customer Insights Analyst Interview

Application

Interview

I was contacted by their director of talent by phone and spoke with her about the role. Then had an in person interview at their office. The whole experience was very positive and the interviewers made me feel comfortable and were easy to talk to. From visiting their office it really seemed like an awesome place to work.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between inner join and outer join in SQL?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you had to complete a project with very little instruction.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at White Ops (New York, NY) in February 2018.

Interview

The interview process started with a phone screen and then a two part exercise. After that I went on-site and met with 4 people for about 45 minutes each. The entire process was seamless and everybody was welcoming and friendly. The interviews felt personal and like everyone actually cared about being there. In past interviews for larger companies, the process felt very robotic. White Ops did everything to make it a really special experience.

Director of DevOps Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at White Ops (New York, NY).

Interview

The entire interview process was well managed and expectations were understood. The interviews began with two video meetings, which lasted 45+ minutes, mostly high level and soft questions. The onsite was well coordinated and travel plus meal were covered. Facility was clean and professional, the interviewers were honest but technical questions were soft. Ultimately did not receive an offer after 2 weeks of deliberation. The talent team kept in constant contact to ensure I did not go cold. I wish I could have said that I got the offer, the people and the culture were awesome. Some things that could be done better would be expectation setting about the feedback process.

Interview Questions

• what was your favorite recent presentation at a conference   Answer Question

Data Platform Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at White Ops (New York, NY) in December 2017.

Interview

White Ops is an exciting and Promising Place to Work!!

Pros:
    Good Management with clear focus on the problems they want to address.
    Lot of opportunities to learn latest technologies in the big data domain.
    Good and exciting team, willing to learn and try new ideas.
    Growing company, so lot of opportunities for personal growth.
    Connections with many big tech companies.

Cons:
    Company is new with start-up culture. Things may not be documented or organised for easy transitions. However, this is natural for any growing company.

The process of interview was straight forward with a 30-min video interview with manager, followed by a technical online assessment on HackerRank and finally a phone interview with the CEO of the company. After clearing these rounds, I was called onsite where i had 4 individual interviews with the team and also got an opportunity to meet the CEO personally, who shared the vision of the company and other ideas. Onsite interviews were more on past experience and project management skills. The HR team was very accommodating and supported me by rescheduling my interview because of my travel.

I received the offer very quickly, within 2-3 days. They made a realistic offer with good benefits. I would have loved to join them, but got an offer from another company which is much aligned to my career interests. I highly recommend White Ops.

Interview Questions

• Python questions on syntax/logic/Spark etc.   1 Answer

Senior Full Stack Web Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at White Ops (New York, NY) in April 2018.

Interview

The interview process was very high quality. Certainly the best I've experienced in NYC. The process started with a phone screen with Talent Acquisition Partner, followed by a video interview with VP of Engineering, followed by a HackerRank assessment. Then after a technical interview (video chat) with a developer, I went to White Ops HQ for the on-site interviews.

I did very well in spite of being primarily a Rails engineer. In the end, they wanted someone with more Node and JavaScript experience. After all, it is a JS shop.

They also outlined requirements I'd need to satisfy, should I apply again down the road. It really felt a lot more positive than the everyday decline.

Overall, they went above and beyond to make me feel comfortable throughout the process. It was truly enjoyable.

After the last on-site interview, I was given a box of goodies. This really shows they've put a great deal of thought into the hiring process and they acknowledge the importance of the journey and treating everyone well. In my opinion, more companies could learn a thing or two from White Ops.

Interview Questions

• Mostly culture fit questions. They wanted to make sure I could work well in a team and resolve conflict. There was a whiteboard session to demonstrate a strong understanding of web architecture.   Answer Question