Stanford University Interview Question: Who would win a fight between... | Glassdoor

Interview Question

Medical Simulationist Interview Palo Alto, CA

Who would win a fight between Spiderman and Batman?

Answer

Interview Answer

105 Answers

batman

Interview Candidate on Jul 22, 2014

Superman is invincible. Batman is merely awesomely talented. No contest.

Ehren on Mar 17, 2015

(Both) they're both good guys.

Steven on Mar 21, 2015

BATMAN would totally win! I love Spidey but BATMAN has been my hero since I was just a little kid. LOVED the BATMAN show that was on TV in the sixties. Spidey really never showed up in my formative years, so - It's BATMAN and my heart is loyal to BATMAN!!!

Anonymous on Mar 23, 2015

I'd start by pointing out that they're probably referring to "Spider-Man".

Anonymous on Apr 1, 2015

Catwoman would tame both of their superpowers.

B Siefers on Apr 1, 2015

Spiderman

Ken on Apr 1, 2015

It already happened, and Spiderman won. Why else do you think Batman has to wear his underpants on the outside?
that was the losing bet...

Vasya Pupkin on Apr 1, 2015

Batman. Batman is older and wiser. Don't mess with old people.

Jenny on Apr 1, 2015

Are we talking newspaper Spiderman or comic book Spiderman? Because newspaper Spiderman can't fight his way out of a paper bag. Heck, comic book Spiderman doesn't stand much chance either. Batman always wins. Plus, Prince did a freaking concept album for the first Batman movie back in the 90's. If that's not winning, I don't know what is.

Nora on Apr 1, 2015

spiderman, batman's toys run-out, spiderman's don't

Anonymous on Apr 1, 2015

The publishing company.

John on Apr 1, 2015

If you're fighting between Batman and Spiderman, I think you would lose

Warren on Apr 1, 2015

Batman....He's got more money..

JonH on Apr 1, 2015

This is an excellent question, not for the question itself but for the opportunity it opens to discuss the intrinsic value of such questions.

If you are a comic book fan, you could of course raise such objections as "It's spelled 'Spider-Man', not Spiderman!" or "Batman is a DC intellectual property, whereas Spider-Man is a Marvel IP." Such precision of language is mandatory in the hard science fields, but arguably would benefit the softer sciences and arts as well - though there is always the danger of descending into the inevitable morass of jargonism as a result. But ultimately, that merely sidesteps having to answer the question itself.

Or you could suspend your obsessive attention to detail and simply dive into the theoretical question itself, arguing in favor of either Spider-Man's raw physical strength, speed, and agility or in favor of Batman's brilliant and logical ability to negate, overcome, or exploit the weaknesses of villains far more powerful than himself.

However, such comparative arguments will always run into the issue of subjectivism. There is simply no set of observable (though fictional) metrics that we can use to objectively assess which of the two superheroes would come out on top in a fair fight.

What one *can* extract from this question is an interesting Case Study of cross-IP ventures between the two extant leading comic book publishers: Marvel and DC. Here, there are much clearer metrics: generated grassroots excitement in the social networking spaces and in print, online, radio, and television media. Sales of print and digital copies of such a crossover. Critic reviews and user based reviews. Overall profit. The lasting legacy of exerting some form of influence on pop culture and future comic book artists and writers, as well as the corporate strategy of comic book companies themselves.

The Case Study itself will evolve depending on what question you deem most important is. Do you simply want to know whether cross-IP ventures are profitable or not? Do you want to measure marketing vs grassroots advertising effectiveness and reach in an effort to maximize the impact per dollar spent on advertising? Or do you want to tackle the more nebulous topic of the comic book battle's lasting legacy in pop culture and comic book fandom?

The questions you're interested in define the metrics you'd be most interested in gathering. You can then discuss *how* exactly to measure each metric, what your data sources are, the accuracy and quality or veracity of such data sources, the cost of data gathering, and so on.

Penultimately, such metrics would be next to pointless unless you also developed a model for cross-IP ventures. What are the variables associated with such a venture, and how would tweaking them affect the metrics outcomes? Perhaps you discover that anonymous seeding (or astroturfing) social networks has value as long as you don't exceed a certain threshhold and get caught, at which point it has a negative effect on your marketing campaign. Instead, you invest more in teasers and cleverly orchestrated and short vignettes, optimized for the chances to stimulate a viral response.

All this is, of course, relevant to Medical Simulation. The creativity, the will to embark on novel scientific inquiries, the discipline of defining metrics, the analytical skill behind developing a working model of the entire enterprise, and the determination to refine all these with further investigation.

Lastly, Batman of course. Strength of will and mental aptitude always trumps being able to shoot proteinaceous silk out your butt.

ItadakiMouse on Apr 1, 2015

it would end in a tie. then i would make $$ on the Batman: Spiderman part Two

arthur on Apr 1, 2015

The child who is playing this game is the winner..irrespective of whether Spiderman or batman..he enjoys the game...and is a clear winner..

Saran on Apr 1, 2015

I will tell you once I finish my Superman vs Batman project. :)

Zack Snyder on Apr 1, 2015

Since Batman is a fictional character (there is not Gotham City after all) and Spider-Man is real, then Spider-Man would win.

Scott on Apr 1, 2015

"The Audience"

Joe on Apr 1, 2015

Hmm, good question, tell you what, I'll be Spiderman and you be Batman and lets see who will win.

Jack on Apr 1, 2015

Good guys don't fight against each other. They would get together and combine their battling prowess and collaborate to get rid of the bad guys together!

IM on Apr 2, 2015

That would depend on why they are fighting against each other and whether they are both themselves or have been under biochemical or some unknown external influence that set them to fight in the first place. If I may assume that they are both themselves in the battle, then they would both win. The reason is because they have a common reason for being the super heroes that they are, and they fight because their beloved family were harmed and they set out to equalize injustice and bring light to the darkness. When they realize that they both fight for the same reason, the conflict would be resolved and they will join forces to solve a bigger problem for a better cause.

Christina on Apr 2, 2015

Clearly Batman. Batman because he is sure to have brass knuckles in his belt to knock out Spiderman.

John on Apr 2, 2015

Who cares and what does it have to do with the job?

Anonymous on Apr 2, 2015

Spiderman. Why? Super web powers. Batman? He wears his underwear on the outside. What was his mommy thinking when she dressed him as a child?

Joe on Apr 2, 2015

Batman beat super man in a fight so he should be able to beat spiderman.

Anonymous on Apr 2, 2015

This is a question from an institution of higher learning? Find a real question that causes real thought and real critical thinking. This is not fantasy land, you are supposed to be preparing people for the real world.

Andrew on Apr 2, 2015

The bad guys, cause there'd be two beat-up good guys when it was over.

Lisa V on Apr 2, 2015

Spiderman because of his agility and flexibly

Spider-Man

Anonymous on Apr 2, 2015

Wonder Woman, she possesses a power that makes both of them weak

Anonymous on Apr 2, 2015

They are both good-guys, so I'm sure they would sit and discuss their differences rather than fight about them. In any case, are you encouraging me to spectate and cheer along to workplace fighting?

Marv on Apr 3, 2015

Batman hands down. He's got the best tactics and brains.

Anonymous on Apr 3, 2015

Who cares 😳, wouldn't our time better be served discussing my qualifications as it pertains to the position I am applying for?

Tb on Apr 3, 2015

That depends entirely on who the author draws as winner.

Anonymous on Apr 3, 2015

Yaaawwwnnn! Wake me up, Scotty. Oops, wrong movie.

OC on Apr 3, 2015

The bad guys.

One of the fairly universal concepts of good vs. evil is that you can always depend on evil turning upon itself. You get the good guys fighting each other, then well....

Of Course on Apr 4, 2015

Good question actually. Batman is a tactician and is always measuring and calculating his battlefield. Spiderman is a risk taker that can actually pull off the unforeseen. Both are tenacious but Batman has far more years of experience on his side... Spiderman is still just a kid. Also Batman HAS taken down Superman so I would put my money on Batman.

Owen Rubel on Apr 4, 2015

1) why would they fight...as both are super heroes

2) it will depend on the place of fight

Dhruvil on Apr 4, 2015

Catwoman. Next.

Sam on Apr 5, 2015

Most likely, Batman! Because, he flies!

loves2oceans on Apr 5, 2015

Why are you asking me about cartoons? Why would I want to work for a university that asks about cartoons? Are there any adults in HR to vet these questions? Does the president of the university know HR is asking about cartoons?
No, I am not against cartoons. I enjoy them even as an adult but, not in the context of a job interview at a prestigious research university.
Why not ask me about my work in theoretical physics or product design or Greco Roman history or teaching or staff support, etc.?

Joe on Apr 5, 2015

The fight will be Forever in the infinity, as no one is the winner (both are equal winners)!
So, the answer for this question is when we reach infinite time, winner comes out, until then, enjoy the fight !!

Vivek on Apr 5, 2015

Anytime, it would be Batman. Looking at his resources, he knows about every weakness of each of the superheroes. He even knows their real identity. He would simply ask Peter Parker to step down or else he will notify the Daily Bugle.

Amit Kumar Srivastava on Apr 5, 2015

It will b a draw unless batman decides to loose

Anonymous on Apr 5, 2015

If this were ever to be done in a real comic book, neither would emerge a clear winner. Both might learn or gain from the experience. But both would emerge largely unscathed, with their differences settled. That's the way it works, in comic books.

Jeff Grigg on Apr 6, 2015

Can't happen. Different universes.

Anonymous on Apr 6, 2015

Batman is part of the Marvel universe. Spider-man is part of the DC universe. They can never meet to fight as they don't even live in the same universe. So, Batman.

SusieCreamCheese on Apr 6, 2015

I'D FRY BOTH THEIR BUTTS

godzilla on Apr 7, 2015

Come on, folks, this is an interview question! Of course Batman would win because he has a TEAM of people supporting him - Alfred, Robin, etc.

Karen F on Apr 7, 2015

Batman because.... he's Batman!

mediaheadquarter on Apr 7, 2015

Deadpool

Anonymous on Apr 8, 2015

Um, "Am I in the right interview?" I'm supposed to be applying for the Medical Simulationist job.

Anonymous on Apr 8, 2015

Chuck Norris

Erin on Apr 8, 2015

Only logical answer is neither. They are fictional figures thus they do not exist. :)

Tapio, Innovator on Apr 8, 2015

The one I am supporting

Vikram on Apr 9, 2015

No One. I would make them sit down and resolve their differences. Otherwise, they would both be fired.

Bobo on Apr 9, 2015

Just kidding......Batman will win....he has more class!

Bobo on Apr 9, 2015

Terminex

Anonymous on Apr 9, 2015

Perhaps this is a politically charged way to interpret the question, but my translation (not an answer, mind you) is who wins: rich kid with toys or poor kid with innate ability? That may be one way to spin the question into something more meaningful to the interviewer.

Jessica on Apr 9, 2015

Spiderbat

Dennis on Apr 10, 2015

If a interviewer ask me such a childish question; I would get up/ snatch my resume and application from his hands, while telling him "I will NOT work for such a immature company that wants to know how I fell about two imagery individuals that I was possibly interested in at 8-11 years of age. I am an adult and see the world through adult eyes. If you need to ask me such a elementary school question, then this company has failure written all over it." Then leave!

LouW on Apr 10, 2015

The one who you choose.

KiDo on Apr 11, 2015

Spider-Man due to his six sense

Anonymous on Apr 11, 2015

Batman

Anonymous on Apr 11, 2015

Batman. If you read the comics, Batman threw Superman around, so he could definitely take on Spiderman.

Joe on Apr 11, 2015

Superman is more brawn than brain, but Batman is more brain than brawn. Therefore, Batman will always be one step ahead of Superman and win hands down.

Karessa on Apr 11, 2015

Batman, he keeps a file on every Avenger, agent, and villain, so GE is always one step ahead of everyone.

Karessa on Apr 11, 2015

They will be drinking beers, they both know what justice it.

Tony Jin on Apr 11, 2015

The one who will be fighting for truth and justice...!!

Ankur on Apr 12, 2015

Batman

Anonymous on Apr 12, 2015

This post has been removed.
Please see our Community Guidelines or Terms of Service for more information.

It depends upon the writers and us because we have seen them in the movie and in our imagination. They will only fight when we will want and the one who will win the one whom we will want to win. These are the characters/avatars are born to fight with the villains not each others.

And the very true is that they come from our imagination and vanish in our imagination.

Sanjib Das on Apr 13, 2015

MAN would win the Battle.

Abhi on Apr 14, 2015

Ironman.

Casey W. on Apr 14, 2015

Batman, because he cheats.

Anonymous on Apr 14, 2015

My reply would be "neither of them would win and if these are the types of questions being asked during an interview then this organization will not win and neither will I if I allow myself to sit through the rest of this interview. I'll go wash dishes at Appleby's and use my savings to publish a book exposing the ridiculous and absurd state of today's job market where qualifications are measured by one's ability to submit to sadistic behavior."

Anonymous on Apr 14, 2015

Batman: he has done the research to know the weakness of every superhero in the Justice League & has a little something in his utility belt for each should he ever have to fight any of them.

The one who beats the other! The winner wins. :p

Anonymous on Apr 15, 2015

Batman - he can afford better lawyers. You did mean that kind of fight?

Oliver Thornton on Apr 15, 2015

Batman. He's been around a while longer, so he has more experience.

Laurie on Apr 15, 2015

Spider takes time to move but bat can able to move fast and any where. A person who reaches some thing can win the fight

vanathy on Apr 16, 2015

i love both but uhhhh if i had to choose ... batman because he is more muscular. but who knows id choose both bc i like them equally.

Alicia D on Apr 27, 2015

Wonder Woman.

Anonymous on May 1, 2015

Very difficult to answer, I need to definitely consult my 5 year old son and get his consent to provide the right answer :-).

Anonymous on May 4, 2015

Spiderman he has superhuman strength and knows how to fight against villains as many weapons as Batman

Anonymous on May 15, 2015

Nobody would win.Because there shall be a new episode :Spiderman vs Batman 2.

Shashwat Guragain on Jun 15, 2015

There should be no fight at all

G on Aug 26, 2015

Holy fictional irrelevance Batman! I guess it would depend on the mood of he script writer or public option from fans towards what they would like the outcome to be and so would generate the most interest and profit. Personally I cant see a fight between man dressed in lycra and a man who cant even dress himself on his own without putting the underwear on the outside resulting in a spectacle that would be much of a crowd puller myself.

Michael Fisher on Sep 2, 2015

They are both good guys. Both. They would utilize their communication and problem solving skills to develop a compromise so that both come out with a win-win!

Natauri on Sep 28, 2015

Under what conditions are they fighting?

lcypert on Oct 14, 2015

Its bat's job to eat insects and spiders.

tejus on Oct 30, 2015

Batman Because he is real man and used technology and spiderman is imaginary man this is not possible in real so i go with batman.

Harshit on Nov 25, 2015

MAN will win

Kelvin Joseph Lartey on Dec 1, 2015

It would never happen. Who would win between the "Tooth Fairy & The Easter Bunny"? Now the real quesion should be who would win between Batman & the Cat Women. We all know who is going to win that one.

boxer on Dec 6, 2015

I'd ask them which MBA professor suggested this question so I could avoid them.

CM on Dec 16, 2015

Entertainment will win.
Man will win
Idea should win

Harpreet Singh on Mar 10, 2016

The question can be answered quite exactly. Look at the ticket box office results for a time period you are interested in and if there were Batman and Spiderman at the same time you would get the answer.

Anonymous on Mar 24, 2016

The winner is gonna win or we can say a superhero is gonna win

gurneet on Jun 30, 2016

Watch ScrewAttack on YouTube or on their website.
They made a nice little battle. A DEATH BATTLE just for this matchup

Ant on Aug 18, 2016

Its depends on the narrator of the story/Characters, similarly both are cartoon/Comical characters they are real so any one can win.

Samson on Oct 2, 2017

Add Answers or Comments

To comment on this, Sign In or Sign Up.