Whole Foods Market Catering Liaison Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Whole Foods Market Catering Liaison Interview Questions

Updated Apr 2, 2017

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Whole Foods Market (Raleigh, NC) in March 2017.

Interview

About two weeks after I applied, I received a call back and he scheduled an interview. I was only given one time to choose from but that made sense later. I get there and I'm being interviewed not for the job I applied for which was better pay and full time, but a part time job at really low pay. They are hiring several people for BOH and FOH in prepared foods and he jumbled all the resumes and called everyone back assuming they want these entry level jobs. Bad sign.

I was pretty annoyed that he didn't tell me on the phone that I'm going to be interviewed for a lesser position, but now I figure that he had no idea who applied for what when he did the call backs.

He asks me if I would be interested in a different position. I say it would depend on what kind of position. He implies cooking. I have 0 experience in commercial food prep (I'm a server) and I know that 0 kitchen experience usually starts out as a dishwasher so this is all pretty confusing that he's thinking of hiring me as a cook. He says things he means seriously and then giggles. He's pretty ridiculous in his lack of skill at hiring and is by far the worst interview I've ever gone to.

When I insist that I actually be interviewed for something he throws out a "what is a really hard day at work like" question. He hems and haws some more. He tells me that everyone is hired at part time and moved to full time when they prove themselves. At best, that's a terrible policy and it still sounds like it isn't true. In attempt at an explanation, he asks me how I would feel if I worked my PT hours and then they hired someone FT after he'd told me that everyone starts at PT. I told him that would be none of my business and he giggles. At this point, I hate the very idea of working with him, much less for him.

He implies that their department has made some really poor hiring decisions. I say that I'm an excellent employee with the references to prove it. I say "I'm a really hard worker," because he's implied that not everyone can even get to full-time hours because of their work ethic. He says, "everyone says they are a hard worker" and giggles again. What an idiot. Even if this is a universally true statement, who says this out loud?

He schedules me for a second interview with other team leaders in prepared foods. I figure it is worth going just to see what the hiring process is like.

I go to the second interview and am only slightly more impressed. They also have no idea which position that I'm being interviewed for. But we get that hammered out. It's a pretty run of the mill FOH interview, but some worrying things are said. He states that "unlike other restaurants, BOH (cooks) don't run FOH out of the kitchen here." I have never been told to stay out of the kitchen in an server job. I'm always working, so why would I be told to stay out? I've never experienced this dynamic and it implies that he (as BOH) assumes that FOH is lazy or at least lazier than the kitchen.

I shouldn't say yes, but I'm told another interview will be scheduled with the GM of the store. He'll call to schedule. The day the interview was supposed to be scheduled comes and I've gotten no call. Since the last I heard was that I was going to be interviewed again, I call the store to ask. Someone at customer service leaves a message and I never get a call back.

Everyone says Whole Foods is a great place to work, but honestly, this seems like a terrible place to work.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Whole Foods Market

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Whole Foods Market (Chicago, IL) in January 2014.

Interview

Initial phone interview led to a face-to-face interview which lasted about 20 minutes

Interview Questions

• What are you most proud of professionally OR personally   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Whole Foods Market (Atlanta, GA) in March 2013.

Interview

One must apply online, but it really helps to have an inside contact hand carry a resume to the hiring authority. After the first interview, depending on the level of the job, there will be a few folks who get a second interview...that entails trips to the facility to interview several team leaders and team members about what they do and how you can help them do it better.....then a panel interview with several team members...some positions require the development of a plan of action for the specific job. They are very interested in a candidate's ability to fit into the teamwork, yet self-motivated, culture. They have a good reputation among their employees, and it shows as you talk with people....very friendly and helpul bunch! Team leads are by and large solicitous and courteous to deal with.

Interview Questions

• What would you do to fit in to the diversity we embrace as a company? Are you comfortable around people whose cultures and languages you don't understand?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, AL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Whole Foods Market (Birmingham, AL) in September 2012.

Interview

I was asked to come in for an interview at the Mountain Brook, Alabama store. The manager was very punctual, offered me water. I talked with 4 different people- all of whom were very nice and asked good, general questions concerning what I thought the job would be and why I was interested. The asst. team leader in charge of the interview told me at the last to be sure and research the company. I memorized the core values and basic history before the 2nd interview. When I came back for a panel interview with 4 team members they asked questions concerning my catering experience, what I expected, a sample menu I might use at an outdoor event, portion sizes I would estimate per person, (that was the one I was most unsure about. I didn't think to go over that) There was absolutely nothing concerning my experiences in customer service, but I believe the questions they asked were much more pertinent to the job at hand while the usual, "tell me of a bad experience while dealing with customers is more of a filler question when you have nothing better to add. After the basic introductions, I began by stating the core values of the company and that I realized how important they were. They loved that I had cared enough to read up on the company. It went very well, other than being unsure about portion sizes, but I was still rather nervous. I knew I was up against one other person. I was so happy to find that I got the job. Good pay, full time and I'll be doing what I love, meeting and helping people, building a clientele for the catering services of my store and Whole Foods in general. It's going to be so much fun!

Interview Questions

• What's a good portion size at a large catered event for meat and sides?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I didn't need to. They offered me a dollar more an hour than I had asked for on the application.