Whole Foods Market Marketing Specialist Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 13, 2017

3.8

11 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Whole Foods Market (Atlanta, GA) in September 2017.

Interview

Long and unnecessary. Makes you jump through hoops and takes up a lot of time. Hard to juggle between preparing for this interview and my current job. There was no reason to meet with so many people for this role.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Whole Foods Market

Marketing Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Whole Foods Market.

Interview

Applied online. Also, applied for Marketing Team leader position at a nearby Whole Foods. I was referred by employees both times. I have been told that Whole Foods employees are young and usually hire other young employees. They said do not bother applying if you are over 40. They can tell your approximate age by your work history.

Interview Questions

• Standard questions. Work history. Dates of employment, etc.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Whole Foods Market (Chicago, IL) in April 2015.

Interview

So disorganized. I applied online for the position at one of the new soon to open stores. A few days later I get an email from someone at WFM saying to disregard his previous note saying they weren't moving forward and that they'll be in touch about scheduling a phone screening soon. Never got the note declining my app (and wasn't in my spam) so I was confused. Told him that and said I'll disregard if it comes through and thanked him. A few days later I received a voicemail from someone else at WFM saying she had tried to reach me via email to schedule a phone screening but hadn't heard back and to give her a call. Again, I had never gotten an email and it wasn't in my spam (I'm guessing they somehow had a wrong email, but still don't see how the first person got in touch with me via the right email to tell me to disregard the other one). Called her back and told her that and she asked me if I could do the screening right then. I said yes, but how ridiculous. It was nothing- she asked me why I was interested in the position. That was it. About five days later I was invited to interview in person and given two "homework assignments" to complete and present for my panel 6 days later (I have a full time job, so this was a lot to take on). They could not have been more vague. I was told to put together a 30 day action plan on a $10,000 budget focused on customer acquisition or basket building for the store. I was also asked to outline some potential community orgs to partner with and put together an overview of the first store event. The community partners assignment was fine, didn't need explanation. But no direction was given on the 30 day plan. I asked if this should be focused on the opening month. She said yes. I got started. I was given direction to reach out to the people on my panel - which I did within the first two days. Followed up with each person twice, and received no responses, so I truly had no guidance about what they wanted. Naturally I included digital and social advertising in my plan. It's a marketing position. Two days before my panel, I emailed asking how much emphasis they wanted to be placed on budgeting for events vs. advertising. It was only then that she told me the regional team handles all advertising for the stores and not to include any of it in my plan. Started from scratch. Still put together an extensive campaign book with 7 different marketing campaigns and events leveraging community partners outlined in detail. I went in and presented to my panel and they asked some thoughtful questions, some I answered well and some only okay. Mostly it seemed like they were going through the motions - like my interview was a formality and they had someone else decided upon already. That same day I received a call, which I missed as I was still at work, and they didn't leave a message. When they didn't try again within the hour I decided to cold call the number back. I've never received a more offensive rejection. I asked for feedback and was told I focused too much on marketing to the community the store will be in since there's already two other WFMs in that area and they don't want to pull sales away from them. (Then why open another store in the community? Also, this one is on the opposite side of the city and my plan focused on reaching the community members in that area and the bordering neighborhood.) He also told me that asking the alder of the ward the store will be in (a family friend of mine) for her input on the demographics/psychographics of that community was "a risky move." Perhaps if I had received any response from my panel, I wouldn't have had to reach out to additional contacts. The way he phrased everything was rude and demeaning. Very negative and time consuming experience.

Interview Questions

• What gets under your skin?   Answer Question
    • How would you leverage several of the specialty departments in events?   Answer Question
    • When have you had to work with a "strong willed" person and how did you collaborate with them?   Answer Question

Marketing Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Whole Foods Market.

Interview

The interview process was very unique, but efficient. I applied online and after three or four weeks, I received a phone call to schedule a phone screen the next day. The screening was very quick, touched on the basics - background, experience, why Whole Foods, etc.
    I received an email later that evening with a date and time for my in-person interview, which would happen the following week. You're given an assignment and asked to prepare a 5 minute presentation on a particular topic. You're provided with the names and emails of the people who will sit on your hiring panel, all of which are people who work in the store in various departments.
    The interview can be a bit daunting, but you will know later that day if you get the position or not.

Interview Questions

• Nothing was exceptionally difficult, just be prepared to have several people asking you an array of questions.   Answer Question

Marketing Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Whole Foods Market.

Interview

Submit online application, you will then be contacted for a phone prescreen, you will be assigned a homework assignment to present to the panel interviewing you, reach out to team members for research, and then panel interview where you present your homework and are asked questions by the panel.

Marketing Specialist Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Whole Foods Market.

Interview

There is a panel interview. Mine had 8 people on it, all of whom I knew, but it was still really intimidating. There was a homework assignment that needed to be done as well as reaching out to everyone that was on the panel. The interview is about 45 minutes long and you usually hear if you got the position the same day.

Interview Questions

• How can you help the customer service team more with fundraising?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Whole Foods Market (Minneapolis, MN) in June 2014.

Interview

Ridiculous. Not able to ask questions, surrounded by a panel of about 10 people who bombard with questions. It is very one sided. Difficult to understand the parameters of the job as little information is given. I was allowed to email questions to various members in different departments, but most did not respond, or it was one short sentence- not much to work with. I was asked to create a presentation, which again was difficult with little information or specifics. I immediately realized I did not want the job as the interview progressed, and considered leaving, as this was not the type of company I wanted to work for. Its also a bit strange to be dressed in business professional attire, and have the panel wearing flip flops and mismatched t-shirts. I was very relieved when I left, and knew I did not get/nor want the job. Several hours later, I received a call from the hiring manager, informing me I did not get the job. I thanked him for his time and was ready to hang up, when he proceeded to tell me, point by point what was wrong with my interview, with a lot of conflicting information. (example "You seem too creative, that is detrimental'' then moments later stating ''We need someone with more creativity.'' Providing constructive feedback is one thing, verbally berating someone is another. After about 3 minutes, I couldn't take it anymore and simply hung up. Very unprofessional, very clueless. Stopped shopping at their stores.

Interview Questions

• What do you expect your daily tasks to be ?   1 Answer

Marketing Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Whole Foods Market.

Interview

I applied online, received a phone interview 72 hours later. The next day was a second abet very brief phone interview, followed by an hour long presentation/panel interview. Within an hour I received a call with a conditional offer, with a formal offer made upon completion of a background check. Pretty straight forward with minimal surprises.

Interview Questions

• Standard questions, but the presentation portion was very in-depth. You are given 6 days to put together a full fledged marketing plan and strategy for the following quarter. Requires interviewing 6-8 store leaders as well as potential colleagues. Be prepared for the work and know that chances are 5-6 other people are working just as hard. Leadership is looking to be wowed! Focus on telling stories and differentiating you from the competition. The store really benefits by getting a variety of ideas and strategy, while only hiring one individual.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was upfront with my salary requirements upfront. no negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Colorado Springs, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Whole Foods Market (Colorado Springs, CO) in September 2011.

Interview

I had a 30 minute phone interview with the Store Team Leader and a separate phone interview with the regional marketing associate. I was selected among 3 other candidates to participate in a panel interview.

I had to prepare and present a holiday marketing campaign for the store and then be interviewed by a panel of 8 people.

The panel had to unanymously agree on hiring one of the 4 candidates. If they could not come to an agreement, they would re-bid the position and screen all new candidates.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if you were working with an employee that you didn't have any common ground with and you asked for that person to perform a specific task to support an event. When the event happened, the employee didn't complete the expected task. How would you handle this situation?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Whole Foods Market (Miami, FL) in February 2011.

Interview

The interview was very inclusive of everything that you might want to listen to. I feel that they could have asked more questions.

Interview Questions

• What was the most difficult client situation int he past   Answer Question