Whole Foods Market Team Member Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Whole Foods Market Team Member Interview Questions

Interviews at Whole Foods Market

2.2

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Whole Foods Market (New York, NY).

Interview

I submitted an application online and also decided to show up at the store personally as well. The first day the Team Leader wasn't there so I had to come again. The second day it was a good thing I brought my resume because the Team Leader couldn't find my application in the system. It was a short and informal interview that turned into my signing work papers. The next thing you know, I'm going to orientation where I fell in love with the culture of Whole Foods Market.

Negotiation

No negotiation because I had no retail experience.

Other Interview Reviews for Whole Foods Market

Team Member Interview

Interview

Went through a company called Workforce1. It was a 3 part interview; each part was on different days over the course of maybe 3 weeks. Then a dreadful 4-day orientation.

Interview Questions

• "If you had to prepare a 3 course meal for very important people, what would you make?"   Answer Question

Team Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Whole Foods Market.

Interview

Phone interview - basic answered a few questions. Was about 3-4 mo before I was called in for a face to face interview. Hadn't heard anything for a month so I follow up w/a phone call & was told i was hired but needed to get the position approved along w/having new budget approve to afford to bring me on. Months went by each w/me calling & following up & being told still waiting on approval finally 3 mo later I was brought on. I was originally hired to work PT but they kept scheduling me FT which was a bit of an issue since I had another FT job.

Interview Questions

• all the questions were pretty standard that you can find on the internet & properly prepare for.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Whole Foods Market (Austin, TX) in December 2013.

Interview

Whole foods conducted a hiring fair for a new store in Austin. I got there about ten minutes before the earliest interviews took place, and there were already about 200 people lined up waiting to get in. We waited for two hours and were ushered into a waiting area where recruiters would come by and try to "pump us up" every few minutes with cheesy 80's music. One guy mentioned that they were giving away positions "first come first serve", but that there were about 200 positions left and we'd all get one if we were qualified. Eventually I got through a two-minute "screening" interview where they decided whether to forward me on to my department of interest. I waited another hour in a new waiting area. They told us they were out of our positions and tried shuffling us around to interviews for other departments of the store, after most of those interview slots had already been filled by people FAR behind us in line. Everyone I spoke to at this point refused to give me an estimate of how long the rest of the process would take. I left at this point- I saw people dressed in jeans and slippers who came in much later than I did leaving with job offers as I waited to be interviewed. A girl I met there waited for five hours total and they continued to bounce her around to different interviews, only to give away all available positions before she got in. The fair was "invite only", but I feel like they invited just about anyone they pleased and hired the first few hundred people in the door, qualified or not, so the recruiters wouldn't have to stay all day.

Interview Questions

• Just a couple basic interview questions- "tell me about a time that you gave a customer a great experience"   Answer Question

Team Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Whole Foods Market in January 2012.

Interview

called on a Sat... two person I -view...job offer same day

Negotiation

offer was fair

Team Member Interview

Interview

They ask the basic questions. It's a pretty dry process. They weren't very friendly but just okay. They ask you to wait seven days and call you at the last moment on the seventh day. They pretty much keep you in suspense. It's all so silly.

Anonymous Employee in Jamaica Plain, MA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Whole Foods Market (Jamaica Plain, MA) in September 2011.

Interview

interview with two persons

Interview Questions

Negotiation

no negotiation -- everyone starts at base rate $10/hr

Team Member Interview

Interview

Online, then contact from HR, then interview in person

Interview Questions

• Basic question. They want to see how good you are in customer service   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Whole Foods Market (Cincinnati, OH) in October 2014.

Interview

I received a call for a phone interview 3 days after applying with about 5 minutes worth of questions. Initially I didn't want to cover the same info that was in my resume, but it became apparent that the interviewer (who was a store team leader) hadn't read over my resume before calling. The questions in this interview were simple: Why do you want to work at WF? What kind of experience do you have? What's your availability? Etc. I was then scheduled for a group interview. It's worth noting I had applied in the past and never heard anything so if you want an interview keep applying!

Less than an hour before the interview the HR person called me to tell me the location in the e-mail sent out was incorrect, and quickly spouted off the new location. I was already getting ready, so quickly looked up directions. The new location of the interview was confusing to say the least (huge office building in a shopping center area, and a hidden parking lot that would have been nice to know about ahead of time). If I had lived in the area for more than a month or if I had a smartphone it probably wouldn't have been such an issue, but I had to call a friend to lookup info to help me find the interview and was about 10 minutes late! That didn't end up being a problem because they were having trouble setting something up, but I was annoyed about the situation.

The group interview was pretty weird. It started off with us being assigned into groups of 3 to create a 2 minute presentation for WF based on one of the core values. It was weird and cheesy but I guess it helped break the ice. Next, a panel of about 10 WF employees (team leaders/HR people, etc) asked questions, where the interviewees (there were about 15 of us) raised hands and were called on to answer. We were never directly asked a question, but there were questions everyone was asked to answer. It was kind of a weird set up in general. The questions ranged from "what would you do in this scenario on the job" type questions to, "if you were stranded on a desert island what one food would you have?" You definitely need to be prepared to show that you would exceed at the job, but also that you have an interesting personality (not any specific kind, just show your true colors, be prepared to talk about things you like to do/things you value, etc.). I also got the idea you need to be pretty personable, which makes sense since customer service is a big part of all the jobs. A note on dress: most of the employees doing the interviewing weren't in business casual, so don't go all out (a younger candidate in my group was wearing a suit and I definitely felt for him). I think some people were even wearing jeans which was fine. I didn't go that casual as I'm more comfortable being over- than under-dressed, so just wear what you'll be comfortable in knowing what the variety will be like.

I was contacted 3 days after they said they would contact us (I had assumed I wasn't a candidate) and offered a position. The offer was super weird too- an automated e-mail congratulating me on my offer and telling me what my next steps would be (filling out a background check or something). The letter included rate of pay (10/hr). I didn't love how impersonal the e-mail was.

After meeting a lot of the WF employees I would have been excited to work there under other circumstances. Everyone seemed smart, friendly, and genuine.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if a customer was upset by something you had done and you were being paged to come to the customer service desk, you realized you were out of an item, and you notice an expensive cheese was grossly underpriced? What situation would you address first?   1 Answer

I applied around holiday time and had just accepted a different PT position with much better pay, so ended up declining the offer. They didn't include the info in the offer e-mail but I got the impression in the interview that you'd be working mad hours over thanksgiving and christmas time, and for 10/hr with the possibility of only keeping the job over the holidays, it really wasn't worth it to me.

Team Member Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Whole Foods Market in August 2014.

Interview

A new store is opening in the area and I applied online. I was contacted a couple of weeks later for a 'Job Fair' group interview at a local community center. The online sign up was problematic at first and had to be corrected and so there were multiple emails about that. The time slot I chose had over 100 people signed up.

We were split into different rooms with about 30 people in each, sitting at tables facing a screen. We were warned to use the bathroom before the interview started because it's two hours long with no break. First we saw a slide show about Whole Foods Market. We also had to fill out a time availability sheet and sign it. Then we were joined by a large group of WF employees with clipboards and listened to one of them speak about being WF employees and what they are looking in new employees, which seems to be skewed toward very outgoing, cheerful, healthy people. We were also warned that any offer of employment requires a two hour assessment with a physical therapist to determine your fitness. (Two hours?!)

We were asked to introduce ourselves to the room one at a time, and answer two questions, what is your favorite food, and why do you want to work at WFM? Next we were split into five groups with instructions to plan any type of presentation about Whole Foods in ten minutes. The WF employees walked around listening in on the groups as they planned. Then each group performed their presentation to the rest of us. After that new groups were formed, and had to plan a 3 minute 'commercial' about a WF core value, in ten minutes. The list of core values was provided. After the second performance we were told we would receive an email with either a thanks-but-no-thanks, or information about a second interview.

About 500 people were being seen at this event over four days, for about 200 openings. As of this writing I have not yet heard back either way. As a shy person it was difficult for me to speak in front of a room full of strangers, and I don't know if I was successful. I'm always nervous at interviews, but this one was exceptionally difficult for me because of the format they use, whereas an outgoing, super confident person may be very at ease.