Williams-Sonoma Interview Questions in San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 27, 2017

2.8

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Williams-Sonoma (San Francisco, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

Initial contact from recruiter. Spoke on the phone regarding salary etc., which I thought was a bit too early in the process. Came back a week or two later saying they can't negotiate on salary, that it'd be a lateral move, which I was okay with.

Interview scheduled pretty quickly, and it was an in-office with 6 different individuals from the finance team. overall, I thought it was well organized and I enjoyed the conversation.

This is where it goes down hill. Both Hiring Manger and Recruiter calls/emails me saying that they want to offer me the position, which was exciting to hear. They told me that they'd have to get through some approval process, which would take couple weeks, which was okay.

The Hiring Manager completely dropped out of reach afterwards, and HR was extremely hard to contact. I waited weeks, and weeks and weeks. And in a rare chance of contacting HR, they would say "no updates yet." and "still waiting."

I interviewed in November, received an unofficial verbal in late December. And then no follow up til now. I understand business needs change, but I'm disappointed they couldn't be just transparent and communicate this to me directly, and forcing me to just wait around as I thought I would get an offer.

Actually, they still haven't gotten back about the status. At this point, I have given up hope. Shame, because I liked the team.

Interview Questions

• Some finance case questions, mostly behavioral, detailed questions about qualifications for the role.   Answer Question

Assistant Planner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Williams-Sonoma (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Currently in process. Was contacted by recruiter who set up a phone call to chat. Had about a 20 minute chat about my background. Contacted back about a week and a half later to come in and meet with three directors for 30 minutes each.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself. And do you like cooking/baking.   Answer Question

Housewares Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Williams-Sonoma (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Two Interviews: first with the recruiter and then with the design director. After a portfolio review and answering questions about your experience, they invite you to do an optional design challenge...to just see how you think. So after you submit your ideas for free, the recruiter will cancel the follow up interview and thank you for applying. Makes me wonder how many free ideas they've collected this way?

To prepare for this interview, I visited their flagship store and asked their sales associates what their challenges were, apparently that's never happened. No one from their product development department has ever visited their store or talked to the people who interact with the public...and they wonder why they are finding it hard to compete.

Interview Questions

• Apparently their turn around time for design is days....they are constantly moving onto the next line, seasonal products so being very fast and effective should be demonstrated in your portfolio.   Answer Question

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Williams-Sonoma (San Francisco, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

Interview process was as follows:
    30-minute call with recruiter
    1st round with 3 managers and 1 VP
    The team asked for me to come back, recruiter told me an offer was going to be made, I provided my references (they use an online reference check where your references will fill out answers to questions online)
    2nd round with hiring manager, VP, GVP

Additional info: I must say that the recruiter was very unprofessional. They misguided me into thinking an offer was going to be made. When I got the final decision, the recruiter said "the team turned you down for the role". It just felt very unprofessional. A simple "we have decided to go another direction" would have been more appropriate. My experience with the recruiter may cause me to shy away as it left a very poor impression on me. Recruiters should know that they are the face of the company for external candidates.

Interview Questions

• They had the basic behavioral and technical questions that relate to the role   Answer Question

Community Coordinator - Pottery Barn Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Williams-Sonoma (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

I reached out to the recruiter and after several attempts she finally responded and scheduled a phone interview with me. That went well and she had me come in the following week to meet the team. Interviews were really positive, or so I thought. I've followed up with recruiter on numerous occasions (emails, phone calls) and she never responded to provide feedback or next steps. I still have no idea what happened. I never met the recruiter in person. A complete waste of time.

Interview Questions

• What social media channels are you most familiar with or have worked with in a professional capacity?   Answer Question
    • Give an example of how you dealt with a situation in which you were at fault.   Answer Question

Email Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Williams-Sonoma (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

I got an interview through a recruiter. I live pretty far out from the Bay but I was willing to make the commute somehow, for a 6-mo contract position, which I am pretty sure was not going to be extended to full time. The fact that my recruiter assured me that "this time WS PROMISED they would try to make this a full time position" did not sound great. They sound like they hire and spit out contractors to save money.

Anywhoo, phone interview was easy enough. I had a few years of good experience under my belt at a start up (wore multiple hats, learned quick, etc.) so I was not worried. If anything, this position was quite less demanding than my previous but I wanted to branch out to larger companies. This particular position was really only designing email graphics to go in their email templates...Not super creative, but somewhat graphic design related, but also heavily churn-it-out production work.

I then went in for a in-person interview. While I was there, it just felt weird and cold...A lot of women, and maybe I'm imagining it, but a film of cattiness and hostility. Like no one was happy. The interviewer was a sweet girl, young-ish. Straight forward questions. Made it clear to me that it gets quite busy, etc. Absolutely totally confident that I was super qualified and would get the position; the only reason I wouldn't is if I didn't fit into their culture or whatever...Which didn't matter seeing as how I wouldn't be full time. It's literally a bang-it-out position.

Welp, I guess I was out of luck seeing as how I was not a fashionable white blonde girl. I swear all of those girls sitting in the design area were...I mean, I clearly noticed. It was strange.

This is somewhere you'd work if you desperately need income, experience...Or are already here and content. Otherwise, did not get good vibes from this place AT ALL. Got a fulltime gig in Silicon Valley a month later.

At least the old lady receptionist was nice.

Interview Questions

• What are you most interested about in this job?   1 Answer

Assistant Buyer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Williams-Sonoma (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

I cannot begin to express what a negative experience I had with this company. Interviewed over the phone and Skype with 7 different people in departments of interest, all went great. Then phone interviewed with the final person - TOTAL hot headed RUDE, ARROGANT individual trying to scare people away. I notified hr of my surprise by the extremely negative experience in which they apologized profusely and said let's steer you toward another department. Interviewed in person with someone from another department - went great, then again with the final interviewer, yet AGAIN, another totally rude and arrogant individual that told me, after 10 total interviews, I wasn't qualified and "they'd see if they had room for me" as I was shooed out the door. Not to mention, when I went in the corporate office everyone looked miserable in their cubicles, total sad and depressing environment obviously ruled by these inhuman and arrogant leaders. I told hr that maybe I'd be better for pottery barn, and she gladly handed my resume to them, and a month later I had not heard a word from anyone, so I sent an email to hr explaining my initial excitement followed by EXTREME disappointment that followed in the very unprofessional interview process, and essentially received and "thanks for the feedback, we'll be sure to take you out of our system". After this experience and interviewing elsewhere, I've heard just terrible things about this place by people that went in, had high hopes and a passion for the product, and ultimately left because of upper management not giving them the time of the day nor being open to any of their ideas or suggestions. My advice: stay away. If you're just starting to look for a career in the buying/merchandising field, this place will eat you alive. There are many other wonderful options to consider in the Bay Area that won't tear down your confidence and jade you to the field.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Williams-Sonoma (Richmond, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

Job Posting on CRAIGSLIST - 8/24/2015 - 6:16PMGSLIST , I read on the job posting that WS was having a onsite application & interview session between Monday, 8/24/15 - Saturday, 8/29/15, I went the next morning and interviewed with 2 HRs. I thought it went well and I was told that I would be contacted by a Hiring Manager by the beginning of the following week. Well, Monday came & I decided to call Corporate & email the email address on the CRAIGSLIST job posting. No answer till late afternoon an HR had emailed me. I was not selected by the Hiring Manager. I called the mobile phone number that was in the email and talked with the HR and she had mentioned that the Hiring Manager had made his selections and we have to trust his decision. She mentioned that if the current applicants don't work out that I may be contacted. I am not encouraged to accept.

I also found out in another job posting on BA jobs that the wage offered was only $11.00 per hr.
    When I was interviewing with one of the HR, she had mentioned "looks more like the lower end of the range", I had mentioned like $15. I looked up the customer service rep salary on Glassdoor and sure enough it lists about 8 WS employees at around $11. With the cost of living, employers should consider more livable wages.

And I agree with an "Interview" review by a General Manager applicant on Jul 16, 2015 , Chicago ,IL; HR do not get back to you in a timely fashion (or at all):

The reason I am giving a "thumbs-down" for the interview process is because I was told I would get a call within a few days after the 2nd interview, and never received one. I called to try to get an update about a week and a half after the interview, left a voicemail, and still didn't receive a call back. This is incredibly frustrating. I would much rather receive the call saying that they went with another candidate, than hear nothing and keep wondering.

The last sentence above resonate with me loud & clear. Employers are not doing a respectable & professional job of getting back to job-seekers. And it's very frustrating.

Interview Questions

• The average questions that most employers would ask.
      For example, What kind of software system I had worked on? Which, I listed and the HR recognized. Other questions like why I was unemployed for a certain amount of time or reason why I left the previous employer, I am tried of answering the same questions. I have diligently been applying and going to interviews but I can not help whatever the reasons are for employers to not considering me (wage/salary, budget, or even discriminating reasons). The Recession was not kind and the Post Recession ... I am putting in effort but no hire yet.
      Answer Question

Web Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Williams-Sonoma (San Francisco, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

I was signed in at the lobby and waited about 10 minutes before meeting my first interviewer. He set us up in a room to talk which lasted about 15 minutes. Met with the second interviewer which was about another 15 minutes.

Product Design Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Williams-Sonoma (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

emailed them, phone call interview, in person interviews. it was a real smooth experience, they were really on top of the timing and scheduling. everyone i met with was on time as well. it was a real smooth experience. i have to typ 50 words to make this go through. i just want to submit this already.

Interview Questions

• why do you want this job?
      why do you like williams-sonoma?
      have you applied to other companies in the area?
      Answer Question