Williams-Sonoma Interview Questions in San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 19, 2017

2.5

Email Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Williams-Sonoma (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

I got an interview through a recruiter. I live pretty far out from the Bay but I was willing to make the commute somehow, for a 6-mo contract position, which I am pretty sure was not going to be extended to full time. The fact that my recruiter assured me that "this time WS PROMISED they would try to make this a full time position" did not sound great. They sound like they hire and spit out contractors to save money.

Anywhoo, phone interview was easy enough. I had a few years of good experience under my belt at a start up (wore multiple hats, learned quick, etc.) so I was not worried. If anything, this position was quite less demanding than my previous but I wanted to branch out to larger companies. This particular position was really only designing email graphics to go in their email templates...Not super creative, but somewhat graphic design related, but also heavily churn-it-out production work.

I then went in for a in-person interview. While I was there, it just felt weird and cold...A lot of women, and maybe I'm imagining it, but a film of cattiness and hostility. Like no one was happy. The interviewer was a sweet girl, young-ish. Straight forward questions. Made it clear to me that it gets quite busy, etc. Absolutely totally confident that I was super qualified and would get the position; the only reason I wouldn't is if I didn't fit into their culture or whatever...Which didn't matter seeing as how I wouldn't be full time. It's literally a bang-it-out position.

Welp, I guess I was out of luck seeing as how I was not a fashionable white blonde girl. I swear all of those girls sitting in the design area were...I mean, I clearly noticed. It was strange.

This is somewhere you'd work if you desperately need income, experience...Or are already here and content. Otherwise, did not get good vibes from this place AT ALL. Got a fulltime gig in Silicon Valley a month later.

At least the old lady receptionist was nice.

Interview Questions

• What are you most interested about in this job?   1 Answer

Assistant Buyer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Williams-Sonoma (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

I cannot begin to express what a negative experience I had with this company. Interviewed over the phone and Skype with 7 different people in departments of interest, all went great. Then phone interviewed with the final person - TOTAL hot headed RUDE, ARROGANT individual trying to scare people away. I notified hr of my surprise by the extremely negative experience in which they apologized profusely and said let's steer you toward another department. Interviewed in person with someone from another department - went great, then again with the final interviewer, yet AGAIN, another totally rude and arrogant individual that told me, after 10 total interviews, I wasn't qualified and "they'd see if they had room for me" as I was shooed out the door. Not to mention, when I went in the corporate office everyone looked miserable in their cubicles, total sad and depressing environment obviously ruled by these inhuman and arrogant leaders. I told hr that maybe I'd be better for pottery barn, and she gladly handed my resume to them, and a month later I had not heard a word from anyone, so I sent an email to hr explaining my initial excitement followed by EXTREME disappointment that followed in the very unprofessional interview process, and essentially received and "thanks for the feedback, we'll be sure to take you out of our system". After this experience and interviewing elsewhere, I've heard just terrible things about this place by people that went in, had high hopes and a passion for the product, and ultimately left because of upper management not giving them the time of the day nor being open to any of their ideas or suggestions. My advice: stay away. If you're just starting to look for a career in the buying/merchandising field, this place will eat you alive. There are many other wonderful options to consider in the Bay Area that won't tear down your confidence and jade you to the field.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Williams-Sonoma (Richmond, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

Job Posting on CRAIGSLIST - 8/24/2015 - 6:16PMGSLIST , I read on the job posting that WS was having a onsite application & interview session between Monday, 8/24/15 - Saturday, 8/29/15, I went the next morning and interviewed with 2 HRs. I thought it went well and I was told that I would be contacted by a Hiring Manager by the beginning of the following week. Well, Monday came & I decided to call Corporate & email the email address on the CRAIGSLIST job posting. No answer till late afternoon an HR had emailed me. I was not selected by the Hiring Manager. I called the mobile phone number that was in the email and talked with the HR and she had mentioned that the Hiring Manager had made his selections and we have to trust his decision. She mentioned that if the current applicants don't work out that I may be contacted. I am not encouraged to accept.

I also found out in another job posting on BA jobs that the wage offered was only $11.00 per hr.
    When I was interviewing with one of the HR, she had mentioned "looks more like the lower end of the range", I had mentioned like $15. I looked up the customer service rep salary on Glassdoor and sure enough it lists about 8 WS employees at around $11. With the cost of living, employers should consider more livable wages.

And I agree with an "Interview" review by a General Manager applicant on Jul 16, 2015 , Chicago ,IL; HR do not get back to you in a timely fashion (or at all):

The reason I am giving a "thumbs-down" for the interview process is because I was told I would get a call within a few days after the 2nd interview, and never received one. I called to try to get an update about a week and a half after the interview, left a voicemail, and still didn't receive a call back. This is incredibly frustrating. I would much rather receive the call saying that they went with another candidate, than hear nothing and keep wondering.

The last sentence above resonate with me loud & clear. Employers are not doing a respectable & professional job of getting back to job-seekers. And it's very frustrating.

Interview Questions

• The average questions that most employers would ask.
      For example, What kind of software system I had worked on? Which, I listed and the HR recognized. Other questions like why I was unemployed for a certain amount of time or reason why I left the previous employer, I am tried of answering the same questions. I have diligently been applying and going to interviews but I can not help whatever the reasons are for employers to not considering me (wage/salary, budget, or even discriminating reasons). The Recession was not kind and the Post Recession ... I am putting in effort but no hire yet.
      Answer Question

Production Artist Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Williams-Sonoma (San Francisco, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

Was brought in to interview by a creative placement agency. Interview was straight forward but didn't include many questions about my level of technical proficiency which is odd for the level of work that I do.

Interview Questions

• Questions were related to my field of work mostly. They had concerns about the high volume of work.   1 Answer

Web Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Williams-Sonoma (San Francisco, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

I was signed in at the lobby and waited about 10 minutes before meeting my first interviewer. He set us up in a room to talk which lasted about 15 minutes. Met with the second interviewer which was about another 15 minutes.

Product Design Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Williams-Sonoma (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

emailed them, phone call interview, in person interviews. it was a real smooth experience, they were really on top of the timing and scheduling. everyone i met with was on time as well. it was a real smooth experience. i have to typ 50 words to make this go through. i just want to submit this already.

Interview Questions

• why do you want this job?
      why do you like williams-sonoma?
      have you applied to other companies in the area?
      Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Williams-Sonoma (San Francisco, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

I met a recruiter at an on campus job fair. I immediately got a screening interview which led to an examining of several job positions. I went towards the software engineering roles. Eventually, I scheduled a phone interview with the head of the department. The phone call was your basic interview stuff and then questions about coding. I didn't have to do any coding problems exactly, but we did wade through key concepts in coding.

Interview Questions

• What does the public/private/protected allow you to do and how is it helpful?   Answer Question

Assistant Buyer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Williams-Sonoma (San Francisco, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

I am applying from out of state, so I first had a phone interview which lasted roughly 45 minutes. After being asked to continue on in the interview process I had a two hour Skype interview. The HR lady I had spoken with was a recent college grad, just as myself which made it much more comfortable for myself, and allowed me to speak much more conversationally rather than nervously trying to impress. However, the nervousness was in full swing come the Skype interview.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to describe one of the largest hurtles I've encountered in the workplace and how I went about resolving it.   Answer Question

Purchasing - Textiles Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Williams-Sonoma (San Francisco, CA) in December 2014.

Interview

Received a phone interview about 2 weeks after I applied, followed by an in-person interview where I met with 3 people. Interview questions were simple and straightforward, I think two of them were to make sure we would fit into their culture and can learn and the last person seemed more knowledgeable about the job and made sure we would be a good fit for the job. It was overall pleasant and easy.

Interview Questions

• Tell me what experience you have in purchasing? What's your ideal work culture? Very general questioins.   Answer Question

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Williams-Sonoma (San Mateo, CA) in November 2014.

Interview

I walked in at my local store and asked for an application. I filled one out, got called back a couple days later, and came back to sit down with the manager to chat. She told me the basic logistics of being a seasonal sales associate, and promptly answered all my questions. At the end of the interview, she let me know that I had an offer and that I had the next few days to decide to take it or not.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation