WillowTree Interview Questions | Glassdoor

WillowTree Interview Questions

Interviews at WillowTree

3.3

Intern - Hourly Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at WillowTree in October 2015.

Interview

Applied online and got an email asking to set up a phone interview. Questions were all personal/behavioral and not very difficult (favorite CS class? talk about this project on your resume) but I was not very prepared and probably did not answer all that well. Heard back after about 2 months and didn't get to the next stage of the interview process.

Travel Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Charlottesville, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at WillowTree (Charlottesville, VA) in January 2016.

Interview

I first reviewed the job description on the website and submitted my application online. I then received a link for a video interview, which would provide you a prompt question and record a timed answer from you. After this I was contacted by a recruiter for an in-person interview. Through the process of three interviews (one 1:1, one with three interviewers, and one group panel with a test project) I was formally offered the position. The interview process is longer and more difficult than I've experienced at any other company, however, I believe that it shows the great care that WillowTree has in hiring. They truly look for passion, talent, and team members that would fit well into the culture here. This attention to detail has created an amazing team that I am very proud to work with.

Interview Questions

• Given the fast-paced, ever-evolving nature of our work, every single team member we bring on must feel empowered to effect change. Can you name a time that you took ownership of something that was outside your normal job duties?   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlottesville, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at WillowTree (Charlottesville, VA) in October 2018.

Interview

Solo video interview, followed by a short conversation with a recruiter to schedule a 1 hour interview with another recruiter. I was told the second interview was a "code share". When I asked for more specifics I was told that reading up on APIs, having an understanding of continuous integration and "best practices" in Java would be helpful for this step. So I took a crash course on RESTful APIs, built one to retrieve the data I'm using at my current position and took a dive into Android to revive an old project since this company seems pretty focus on the mobile front. Not bad for a single weekend I thought.

Unfortunately none of that helped me at all since the second call wasn't a code share at all. It was another list of questions that "had to be asked" that really just highlighted the weak points of my current position and why I'm leaving it. I talked about the work I had done in preparation to share and I got a "cool". Followed by a pop quiz on a data structure I haven't used since college in the form of a coding challenge to turn an int array into a bar chart in the terminal. In hindsight I shouldn't have struggled as much as I did even through I did eventually work through the majority of the problem when I realized it was a test on knowing how to use the features of a HashMap, I was just caught off guard. Had I known we were doing data structure trivia I would have brushed up on that instead. In fact the entire process was about as vague as could be. I couldn't get a remotely straight answer about what they were looking for out of the role the opening. They claime to hire people over resumes and I appreciate that but I was promptly sent a rejection letter after this meeting so apparently that's just not true. I really had high hopes for this company but this has left a bad taste in my mouth.

Interview Questions

• What is the testing and code deployment process at your current position?   Answer Question

Backend Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at WillowTree (Raleigh, NC) in August 2018.

Interview

Applied online. The process two 2 weeks. Interviewed for a role in Durham, NC.

The first round is a video interview which is mostly behavioral with some questions related to the position applied to. The video interview is a screening interview, it has very short duration assigned to gather thoughts before answering and even lesser time to answer the question. I did just ok on this interview, and was called for a technical phone interview. This was for ~45 minutes. The interview consisted of questions relating to prior work experience, some situation based questions and technical questions. We went over some space and time complexities in the technical part of the interview. This was a healthy discussion and really enjoyed speaking to the engineer, it was mostly like pair programming in this round. The next stage was a test project which can be sent in about a week's time. They ask not to spend way too much time. I was applying for a back-end role and did a basic version for client side of the application. I got a reject after the test project. I did ask for feedback but have not heard back from the recruiter. Overall, the interview process was good but was hoping to get some feedback on the project.

Interview Questions

• In a single linked list, find the second node from the last continued by find nth node from the last.   Answer Question

Technical Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at WillowTree in October 2015.

Interview

The first interview was on campus. This one was mostly about me and my experiences, and I was asked things such as what I want to do / accomplish and why, what projects and classes I enjoyed most, and things like that. Then came a technical Skype interview where I was asked to interpret some already written scripts in HTML and Javascript (I was applying for a web position). This interview did not involve video.

Interview Questions

• I was shown a CSS file and a Javascript file, and asked to explain to them line by line what the code did.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlottesville, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at WillowTree (Charlottesville, VA) in January 2017.

Interview

Got a same day automated email response to a resume I submitted which asked me to take the one-way video recording interview, which is supposed to be a "fun exercise".

Not sure the reasoning for this type of interview, seeing as someone reviewing these videos will take the same amount of time to watch as if they had called the candidate to begin with. If someone doesn't show enough skills/experience with their resume, what is the point in sending a request to one of these one-way video interviews and wasting their time? This could be combatted with contacting actual perspective hires with an actual live person call.

Anyway, I personally found the beginning of this interview process to be a disrespectful way of doing business. Seems that Willowtree doesn't really value my time and experience by throwing an impersonal video recording at me. When < 1% of the population are in software development, I believe only desperate people would put themselves through this. Programmers/software devs should be seen as peers and experts, not serfs who aren't worthy of personal interaction that might happen to be so lucky as to work at said company. Wonder how many great programmers are above this type of treatment and passed over this company? Who honestly wants to work for someone that doesn't have enough appreciation to have personal contact with you throughout the entire interviewing process?

Interview Questions

• Would you like to take this "fun, indecent, and detached of any human interaction exercise?"   Answer Question

WillowTree Response

Apr 16, 2018 – Chief Talent Officer

Thanks for taking the time to write this review. While we respect your opinion of video interviews, it seems you have misunderstood why we use them and how we view them. They are not in any way... More

Anonymous Employee in Charlottesville, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at WillowTree (Charlottesville, VA) in November 2016.

Interview

Rigorous! Initial application, canned video interview, phone screen, test project, all day interview/office immersion. There was a brief white boarding portion during one of my interviews, but was pretty casual.

Interview Questions

• One of the in-person interviews was a soup-to-nuts review of my test project.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at WillowTree.

Interview

Video interview(recorded), followed by some phone interviews, followed by a coding challenge. Overall the company was very helpful, and the interview wasn't too awkward. (Even the awkward video recording interview thingy)

Software QA Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Morrisville, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at WillowTree (Morrisville, NC) in October 2018.

Interview

I applied online. They reacted very slowly. I called one of the recruiters I connected on linkedin. After two weeks, they sent me two video screening tests for me to finish. Those were tough questions and they didn't update from a year ago. The regular position and the senior position have exactly the same questions! When I submitted my answers, a recruiter contacted me and set up a time to talk. We had a very brief conversation for about 20 mins. The next day, they rejected me.

Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlottesville, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at WillowTree (Charlottesville, VA).

Interview

I applied online and had an hourish long phone conversation with the hiring manager, mostly about the recruiting and the tech industry. She invited me for an onsite interview, the final stage in the process. The onsite interview was supposed to last four hours, two of which were going to be spent working on a mystery project that I'd learn about when I got there. The first hour we'd go to lunch and the final hour I'd present my project.

Interview Questions

• The whole interview centered around this onsite project, which ultimately didn't end up having that much to do with the job description or anything I'd talked about with the manager on the phone. They seemed to not really know what they were looking for. I spent most of the interview alone working on the project. The computer they gave me for the presentation was a mess-- terrible internet connection and missing even basic software. The project also didn't seem to be relevant to the job description or what I had discussed with the manager on the phone.   1 Answer