WillowTree Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at WillowTree

3.3

Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at WillowTree (Raleigh, NC) in October 2015.

Interview

I originally had a call with the internal recruiter. She was super nice and helpful. They sent me an interview link where you would be asked a question and then you had a minute to respond. What was distracting about this process is that you can watch yourself answer the questions, but then also watch the timer count down. To be honest the whole set up really caught me off guard. I am usually very solid in an interview, but this was distracting.

Unfortunately, I never heard anything back from anyone. I'm not too surpirsed considering I didn't do well on the video. I do feel that my phone screen was solid and that I would have nailed an in person interview. I think that WillowTree unfortunately will bypass many candidates due to this interview process. It certainly isn't for everyone and very distracting.

Advice to WillowTree: at least give people feedback. I think it is highly unprofessional to not receive even a one sentence email saying thanks but no thanks.

Interview Questions

• How do you organize your day? If you did not have LinkedIn as a resource, how would you recruit? How do you keep up with the latest tech trends.   Answer Question

WillowTree Response

Nov 13, 2015 – VP of HR & Recruiting

I'm sorry you haven't heard back from anyone yet as we do always strive to respond to applicants. We are still interviewing for this position, which may explain why you have not received a response.... More

Product Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at WillowTree.

Interview

I applied online. Later on, the technical recruiter reached out to me by email. We had a phone call screening. Afterward, we worked out a day for me to do a video call interview with the Director of Product Design and a Product Designer. The recruiter recommended that I prepare a deck to explain my process and show some of my work. The interview was very pleasant. Everyone was very friendly and generous about answering my questions.

Interview Questions

• Is there anything that you would change about your project?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at WillowTree (Durham, NC) in April 2017.

Interview

Was reached out to by a recruiter on several platforms, so I had one phone interview with her. Was a good experience. Then moved on to an interview with a director of product design, also a good experience and wasn't too technical. Then they asked me to go in for a hour for a portfolio presentation and Q/A session. I felt like it went well, and so the next step was a take-home design exercise, with a phone call to go over parameters and a typically a 5 hour commitment over the weekend they asked. They were looking for someone who could deliver a pixel perfect solution with all source files, sketches, inspiration. They also provided a brand and asked for a few screens of redoing an app. In my opinion, this was a little unethical since its free work, for 5 hours, and source files handed off to them, even though it wasn't their client. Didn't even get to explain decisions or have a discussion. The feedback I got via email made sense for why I didn't get the job, I didn't hash together a perfect experience or UI of the whole app in 5 hours so that was expected. I honestly feel bad for accepting the design exercise, I'd advise other folks to not accept the challenge unless you'd like this in your portfolio or something.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlottesville, VA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at WillowTree (Charlottesville, VA) in March 2017.

Interview

I first contacted WillowTree Apps to have a tour of their Durham office and get to know the design team. They later came to my university during our interview days and I talked to them further. My first official interview consisted of showing 2-3 projects I had worked on previously and explained every step of the process from market research to high fidelity prototypes. About 3 weeks later I went up to their Charlottesville office for a full day interview that involved me working on 2 test projects and presenting them to designers at the end of the day. This was my first interview that involved test projects. It was an extremely positive experience that really tested my skills under pressure, and really reflected the high standards this company expects of potential employees. The design team was inquisitive and helpful throughout the whole day.

Interview Questions

• What was my decision making process in using a specific layout for a ux flow.   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at WillowTree.

Interview

They have this bizarre video screening application where you have to answer a series of questions in a fixed amount of time -- you can't redo or prepare. They promote it as this great new way for candidates to excel in the interview process. Seriously.

I met a few of their engineers at various events around town, and I thought it would be a fun place to work with a great office location. The interview process and the culture I ran into was the complete opposite of the engineering culture I ran into.

You'd have to be desperate to want to work there as a PM. They apparently felt they'd have to be desperate to have me, too. So, we agreed there.

Interview Questions

• What attracted you to the organization   1 Answer
    • Technology stack   1 Answer
    • There was a wind-up question about clients giving teams bad requirements and what to do about that.   1 Answer

WillowTree Response

May 31, 2017 – Chief Talent Officer

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy the interview process. It sounds like you had a big problem with the video interview. I understand that it can be a little uncomfortable, but it honestly does help more... More

Anonymous Employee in Charlottesville, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at WillowTree (Charlottesville, VA) in November 2016.

Interview

Long interview process. Start with the video interview - don't freak out about that one, it's just to make sure you've got the basic qualifications. Then recruiter interview, mostly logistics (would you move to Charlottesville, etc.), then 2 phone interview with current project managers, then a final interview in the office that involves a case study.

Interview Questions

• How would you explain what an API is to a client?   Answer Question
    • Give an example of how you've used an Agile methodology to manage a project.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Charlottesville, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at WillowTree (Charlottesville, VA) in August 2016.

Interview

A recruiter reached out to me after an internal employee had given them my name. Below are the steps that happened in order over the course of 3-4 weeks:
    -Applied on the website.
    -30 min Recruiter call.
    -Video Recorded Questions - this was strange if you have never done it.
    -30 min call with PM Lead
    -1 hour onsite with 2 PMs
    -1 hour 'role-play' with executives

Interview Questions

• What are the qualities/attributes of successful people you have worked with?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation occured

Anonymous Employee in Charlottesville, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at WillowTree (Charlottesville, VA) in July 2018.

Interview

The process is interesting and not too bad. I actually had fun.

1) Spoke with the HR recruiter.
    2) Video interview. This threw me at first, but you can practice as much as you want and it's only two questions. Just relax and be yourself.
    3) Interviewed with two PM's on the phone.
    4) Came on site with a VP of PM. Then team interview with VP of PM, Principal engineer, TRM for a role play/scenario based situation.
    5) Lunch same day as on-site with two senior PM's.

Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlottesville, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at WillowTree (Charlottesville, VA).

Interview

I applied online and was offered a phone interview with a recruiter shortly after. Phone interview was only about 30 minutes and was conversational about general interests and goals. Second interview was a 45-minute portfolio review over Google Hangouts which consisted of screen-sharing and talking about work/projects followed by some questions. Very straightforward and generally enjoyable. Next, I was given a test project over a phone call where 8 to 10 hours of work was expected, which I felt to be a reasonable amount for the assignment. The project brief was straightforward and I really enjoyed the project overall. After submitting my test project, I had another call to receive feedback and then had a few days to implement revisions to my designs. After this step, I was not offered another interview. Overall, interview process was long, but not overly difficult. Everyone I spoke with at WillowTree was super nice and immensely passionate about their work and the company.

Office Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlottesville, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at WillowTree (Charlottesville, VA).

Interview

It was a pretty lengthy process that started off really pleasant. I applied online and was asked to do an online interview the very next day. I thought it was pretty intimidating but overall was a good idea to get to know candidates better before wasting too much of anyone's time. I passed through that section and made it to a call with the recruiter. He was very nice and he raved about the culture of the company and I was very excited about the next step.
    A few days later they set up another interview in person and everyone I met with was wonderful. I heard back immediately that they wanted me to come in for the final interview.
     When I got to the final interview, most of the people I was supposed to meet with were late or left in the middle of the interview. They talked about how their culture was their biggest priority but it felt more like sitting at a table with the popular kids and having all of them talk at me. At one point, one of the interviewers very sarcastically said "why would we even want to hire you?" and I answered her question and then she promptly had to leave for a meeting right after. I had to do a test assignment and everyone seemed very pleased with my answers so I felt good about that process. As I was working on my test project, everyone was talking to each other and it was primarily negative things about other people in the company. It made me feel very uncomfortable.
    I left the interview feeling good about the work I had done but felt pretty uncertain that this would be a good fit based on the people I sat with. Over a week later, I received an automated email saying "thanks for sending in your resume but we found more qualified candidates". After spending 6+ hours in the interview process with them, I received an automated email? I emailed the recruiter and asked for feedback and a few days later I got a very brief but extremely condescending email saying I didn't fit in with the culture but my work was very good. I was crushed because obviously someone in the final interview didn't like my personality (otherwise I wouldn't have made it to the next rounds I would assume) and to be told that solely based on their opinion of my personality, I wasn't a good fit. Honestly, if my personality wasn't a good fit for their culture, I'm really okay with that.

Advice for you in the future: Be more respectful with your candidate's time and the time they spent with you - if you don't like something about someone, don't make them come in for a 5 hour interview. Don't spend the interview session gossiping. Be respectful when turning someone down for a position - i.e. don't send a rude email full of "..."s days after the candidate reaches out after receiving an automated rejection.