WillowTree Interview Questions | Glassdoor

WillowTree Interview Questions

Interviews at WillowTree

3.3

Office Manager/Executive Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at WillowTree.

Interview

Invite for non-interactive video. I had to answer questions that popped up on a screen. It was an uncomfortable experience and lazy on their part to not take the time and phone screen first. I feel like they are losing some good talent by using this process and expecting a one minute answer on questions that could have depth but the time did not allow. You are trying to think of the answer or recall a point in time while beating the clock. It was more of a game show type of interview/experience.

Anonymous Employee in Charlottesville, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at WillowTree (Charlottesville, VA) in August 2015.

Interview

Applied online, and promptly received a request for a video interview. The video interview was a little daunting to begin with, but there are two practice questions so you can check how you sound, adjust your camera etc which is good. It is also possible to stop the video interview, in between questions if you need to for some reason.

After the video interview, received a request for a brief phone chat about the position. The informal phone chat was really insightful, we not only discussed the position, but the culture and company as a whole.

Following the phone interview, I did two onsite interviews with the directors, and completed a test project appropriate for the position. The test project enabled me to evaluate the position and scope of the role and all of the functions the position supports.

Interview Questions

• What tools do you use to plan your day and keep organized?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlottesville, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at WillowTree (Charlottesville, VA) in August 2015.

Interview

I was invited to complete a video interview, which I completed last week, and which I found to be a great experience. I was excited to receive a follow up email from the technical recruiter a few days later, asking for a time for a phone interview, so that we could “chat.” We scheduled a phone interview.

During the phone interview, I was not provided with any details about either WillowTree or the position I was applying for. Instead, I was asked if I had any questions about the position. I was essentially placed in the role of interviewer for the entirety of the phone call. The call lasted all of 12 minutes, during which it became increasingly obvious the recruiter knew nothing about my resume and work experience. I asked about everything in the vague job description, I asked if there were any other details.

I was disappointed by the entire process, and I felt as though they wasted my time and theirs. I am immensely qualified for the position and was really excited to join a dynamic company like WillowTree. Yet throughout the call, I was discouraged repeatedly by the recruiter, who chose to emphasize that the company "isn't a global corporate entity with standardized salaries," and when I asked the salary hiring range, before even being told the range, I was reminded that "the cost of living here isn't like Northern Virginia."

Content Strategist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Charlottesville, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at WillowTree (Charlottesville, VA) in July 2016.

Interview

I found the job listing on Glassdoor and sent my application through their website. A recruiter followed up with me 1-2 weeks later and asked me to record a video answering certain questions. After I sent that video in, she set up a video interview with the hiring manager and executive in charge of the department. Finally, they flew me out for an in-person presentation and interview.

Interview Questions

• How do you feel about the Oxford comma?
      Describe your process for creating a content strategy.
      Why did you leave [former job]?
      How do you optimize search results for app stores?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlottesville, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at WillowTree (Charlottesville, VA) in March 2015.

Interview

Actually, everything was fine until literally the final hour. After a phone interview, I was flown in. I started first thing in the morning working on 2 design prompts. I had a full work day to work on them and then present my work at the end of the day. Everything would have been fine, except in my prompt it noted I would present at 4:30. At 4:00 they pulled me in, along with other team leads and a VP to present my work. I ended up winging it for the most part. Needless to say, it did not go well.

Anonymous Employee in Charlottesville, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at WillowTree (Charlottesville, VA).

Interview

The Interview process at WillowTree Apps:
    - recorded video interview (question+30 seconds to 1 minute to prep and 2-3 minutes to talk)
    - phone interview with HR
    - phone interview with VP department head
    - come in for a test project (given a problem statement, show your skills, and present)
    - job offer!

Interview Questions

• What relevant work have you done and can you tell us about the process?   Answer Question

User Experience Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at WillowTree in May 2015.

Interview

Really nice company. Quick response but long process. A weird online video interview. (kind of stressful but you just need to embrace it.) Two phone interviews and an in person test!

Anonymous Employee in Charlottesville, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at WillowTree (Charlottesville, VA) in November 2016.

Interview

I first approached WillowTree at my school's career fair. I was a Senior and looking for positions as a UX'er out of school. I had a really great ~30 minute conversations with the two individuals recruiting at my school, and they invited me for an on-campus interview the next day. I talked about my portfolio, some personality related questions, nothing out of the blue. After, I had two Google hangouts about two weeks apart from each other, then was later invited for an on-site interview. They rented me a car and booked a hotel for me, and I drove down the night before. The on-site interview was actually a test exercise, nothing too difficult but they test your thinking and your design process. I was given an offer that same day.

Interview Questions

• When was a time you worked on something and it didn't go as planned?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at WillowTree (Richmond, VA) in May 2016.

Interview

Was reached out to via LinkedIn by a recruiter. They were coming into Richmond, VA recruiting and wanted to meet me in person. She wanted to meet in less than 24 hours in which I agreed to but had to cancel appointments. Although I could have done better in the interview, we left the discussion with her saying she would email me soon. She emailed me wanting me to come in for an onsite interview but after I responded I never heard back. I emailed her a couple of more times but was ghosted.

Interview Questions

• She wanted to see a lot of my client work that I could not show.   1 Answer

Quality Assurance Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at WillowTree in November 2018.

Interview

- First had a recorded video interview with 6-8 questions through an online portal
    - Had a talk with the college recruiter that lasted 30 min going over your resume
    - Then a technical interview with an employee that talked more about the company and you technical background, testing how you think about development and app design

Interview Questions

• Think of an app you commonly use, and name a few things you would change and why   Answer Question

See What WillowTree Employees Are Saying

StarStarStarStarStar   Current Software Engineer in Charlottesville, VA

Pros: “WillowTree is a great place to work, full of very smart people solving all kinds of real problems and making mobile apps for clients including several large and well known companies. The...”“WillowTree is a great place to work, full of very smart people solving all kinds of real problems and making mobile apps for clients including several large and well known companies. The company does a good job not only of identifying core values (including craftsmanship, flow, ownership, optimism, communication, partnership and golden rule), but consistently working to uphold them, which I feel is both very important and usually lacking. Part of this is a focus to eliminate unneeded middle management - turns out, when people are empowered to work in ways that suit them and get into flow, they can produce great things. The work environment is casual and team-centered, with the understanding that people need time to get into 'flow', that state where they become one with their work and loose track of time as they create. To this end, there are a number of work settings, from open team spaces to individual booths, so people can get into the environment that best supports their work habits. A lot of effort is done to keep meetings (and required attendees) to a minimum and block off time for flow. This is nice and prevents engineers from being constantly pulled from one meeting to the next without any time to develop. Projects are team-focused, bringing together designers, developers, testers and project management to the same space. The company fosters a continuously learning environment via paid for conference attendance and several internal weekly learning sessions. Compensation and benefits are top notch (for the area). Yes, the absolute value of compensation is less than what might be expected in the valley or NYC, but Charlottesville, VA and Durham, NC are much much less expensive to live in (and, you won't spend half your life in traffic!) In addition, the company provides lunch twice a week and other social team-building events. Senior leadership tries very hard to be both highly engaged and highly transparent. It's also a big plus (to me) that the company is not publicly traded. Therefore, leadership can (and does!) spend a lot of time, effort and resources making WillowTree a fantastic place to work without being beholden to shareholders clamoring about value and the bottom line. Overall, a great place to working with highly motivated smart people making fantastic software that is used by real people.” – Full Review