WillowTree Product Designer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

WillowTree Product Designer Interview Questions

Interviews at WillowTree

3.8

Product Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at WillowTree.

Interview

I applied online. Later on, the technical recruiter reached out to me by email. We had a phone call screening. Afterward, we worked out a day for me to do a video call interview with the Director of Product Design and a Product Designer. The recruiter recommended that I prepare a deck to explain my process and show some of my work. The interview was very pleasant. Everyone was very friendly and generous about answering my questions.

Interview Questions

• Is there anything that you would change about your project?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for WillowTree

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at WillowTree (Durham, NC) in April 2017.

Interview

Was reached out to by a recruiter on several platforms, so I had one phone interview with her. Was a good experience. Then moved on to an interview with a director of product design, also a good experience and wasn't too technical. Then they asked me to go in for a hour for a portfolio presentation and Q/A session. I felt like it went well, and so the next step was a take-home design exercise, with a phone call to go over parameters and a typically a 5 hour commitment over the weekend they asked. They were looking for someone who could deliver a pixel perfect solution with all source files, sketches, inspiration. They also provided a brand and asked for a few screens of redoing an app. In my opinion, this was a little unethical since its free work, for 5 hours, and source files handed off to them, even though it wasn't their client. Didn't even get to explain decisions or have a discussion. The feedback I got via email made sense for why I didn't get the job, I didn't hash together a perfect experience or UI of the whole app in 5 hours so that was expected. I honestly feel bad for accepting the design exercise, I'd advise other folks to not accept the challenge unless you'd like this in your portfolio or something.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlottesville, VA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at WillowTree (Charlottesville, VA) in March 2017.

Interview

I first contacted WillowTree Apps to have a tour of their Durham office and get to know the design team. They later came to my university during our interview days and I talked to them further. My first official interview consisted of showing 2-3 projects I had worked on previously and explained every step of the process from market research to high fidelity prototypes. About 3 weeks later I went up to their Charlottesville office for a full day interview that involved me working on 2 test projects and presenting them to designers at the end of the day. This was my first interview that involved test projects. It was an extremely positive experience that really tested my skills under pressure, and really reflected the high standards this company expects of potential employees. The design team was inquisitive and helpful throughout the whole day.

Interview Questions

• What was my decision making process in using a specific layout for a ux flow.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Charlottesville, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at WillowTree (Charlottesville, VA) in May 2019.

Interview

The whole process took about 1.5 months, but could have been shorter had my scheduling worked out, and if I was local.

I applied online using the website which was incredibly easy and within a few days I was contacted by a recruiter. She and I had a 1:1 call to discuss the position and she was able to do some initial screening and then we discussed scheduling a remote video interview with another designer. I scheduled that a week or so later and was able to talk in depth about projects with a Senior Product Designer.

Shortly after that, I was issued a design skills task/test with a brief from the VP of Design that I completed over a weekend. I ended up getting some great feedback from that test and was given the opportunity to make updates. From there, we scheduled an in-person full-day interview.

The in-person interview was about 6 hours including a lunch with some team members and a short break. There was a series of exercises throughout the day with different team members ending on a presentation of my design test to a room of about 4 or 5 people.

Overall, it was an intense interview process but I thought it was nice that so many people were willing to take the time to meet with me and ultimately it ended in an offer 24 hours after the in-person so it was worth it!