WillowTree Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at WillowTree

1 Interview Review

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlottesville, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at WillowTree (Charlottesville, VA) in October 2018.

Interview

Solo video interview, followed by a short conversation with a recruiter to schedule a 1 hour interview with another recruiter. I was told the second interview was a "code share". When I asked for more specifics I was told that reading up on APIs, having an understanding of continuous integration and "best practices" in Java would be helpful for this step. So I took a crash course on RESTful APIs, built one to retrieve the data I'm using at my current position and took a dive into Android to revive an old project since this company seems pretty focus on the mobile front. Not bad for a single weekend I thought.

Unfortunately none of that helped me at all since the second call wasn't a code share at all. It was another list of questions that "had to be asked" that really just highlighted the weak points of my current position and why I'm leaving it. I talked about the work I had done in preparation to share and I got a "cool". Followed by a pop quiz on a data structure I haven't used since college in the form of a coding challenge to turn an int array into a bar chart in the terminal. In hindsight I shouldn't have struggled as much as I did even through I did eventually work through the majority of the problem when I realized it was a test on knowing how to use the features of a HashMap, I was just caught off guard. Had I known we were doing data structure trivia I would have brushed up on that instead. In fact the entire process was about as vague as could be. I couldn't get a remotely straight answer about what they were looking for out of the role the opening. They claime to hire people over resumes and I appreciate that but I was promptly sent a rejection letter after this meeting so apparently that's just not true. I really had high hopes for this company but this has left a bad taste in my mouth.

Interview Questions

• What is the testing and code deployment process at your current position?   Answer Question