Wilshire Associates Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Wilshire Associates Interview Questions

Updated May 23, 2017

3.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Wilshire Associates (Santa Monica, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

Applied online, had a phone screening, interviewed with two associates, and then with a team of 8 individuals. Interview with two associates was mostly behavioral, a couple of technical questions and a short assessment. The team interview again was mostly behavioral. At the end of the team interview there was an excel assessment. Was told that I would hear back within 2 weeks.

Interview Questions

• What music do you listen to?
      Why Wilshire?
      What do you to do decompress?
      Answer Question

Associate Interview

Interview

it was straightforward and all behavioral. The questions were fairly easy, and the interviewer asked about my current employer, why I had applied to the firm, about my background, why i had chosen my specific major and university

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Wilshire Associates.

Interview

First a phone interview. 10 minutes of going through my resume, i.e. talking about my educational background, computer skills, internships, etc. Then just talking about how much knowledge I had of finance, and then scheduled for an in-person interview. The in person interview took much longer, nearly an hour. Met with the same associate, another associate, and an analyst who's been there a while. Went through resume, they talked about the position more, behavioral questions (Describe a time when you had to meet an important deadline, etc) and had to answer a brain puzzler question.

Interview Questions

• Mostly run of the mill behavioral questions. What is your 3 best characteristics, etc. Some more finance-related questions (define the Sharpe ratio, what does it mean when a distribution is skewed to the right, etc)   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Interview

It was an interview with the regional manager and it was very informal. We just sat and talked for 20 minutes or so and then I talked to the intern that was hired about their experience.

Interview Questions

• How have your previous work experiences impacted your career decisions?   Answer Question

Quality Assurance Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Wilshire Associates.

Interview

Phone interview. 30 mins. 1 Managing director, 1 Senior Associate, 1 HR.
    As this position is for a new office, so the requirement is not as high as it is elsewhere.
    Basically went through my resume. Asked me one specific project in school.
    What is your market of interest, why.
    The phone line is not very good. I asked the interviewers to reply their questions for like 3 times. It was a AT&T meeting line.

Interview Questions

• What is your market of interest.   1 Answer

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Wilshire Associates in July 2013.

Interview

First did a phone interview with an Associate who was very nice and told me a little more about specifically the position entailed. He called me again a few days later and arranged an in-person at their office in Santa Monica. I interviewed with him and a more senior Associate. Received email decision in a few days.

Interview Questions

• Do you trade stocks? (they said there is a correlation between trading your own stocks and doing well in the position)   1 Answer

Analyst Interview

Interview

6 interviews total

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Wilshire Associates (Santa Monica, CA) in January 2013.

Interview

Applied online on a Monday/Tuesday, got a call Wednesday and scheduled an initial phone screener for Thursday. On the phone, I was informed that they needed to fill this position quickly as the current person is leaving (or already left, couldn't not hear clearly due to static/accent). After phone interview, got a call same day in the afternoon for an onsite interview. Scheduled for the following week, day after New Years. Also, I was asked to bring in a writing sample. The interview itself was fairly short (about 45mins). In preparation for the interview, I refreshed on my math finance, namely option pricing and portfolio theory, also I spent a bit of time researching the firm. Turned out this position (and the consulting division of Wilshire), does not directly invest anything. They simply get what the clients' goals are and then REFER them to the actual investment firms/funds. Needless to say, I was quite a bit disappointed because on the Wilshire website, they mentioned all these exciting new things they are doing in INVESTING. But even then I remained enthusiastic because I have always wanted to embark on a career in finance, and I had to start somewhere. I was interviewed by a Sr. Associate, a recently promoted Sr. Analyst, and an Associate (the person who screened me on the phone). While the Sr. Analyst and Associate seemed to be paying attention to what I was saying, the Sr. Associate seemed rather disinterested. Although they were all very friendly and relaxed. At the end of the day, I tried my best to outline my quantitative background, which included courses in mathematical modeling/real analysis/math finance/investment theory, and programming in C++, C#, Java, Matlab, SAS, etc. However the nature of this firm and this position is more qualitatively oriented. Thus after I named my familiarity with all those technical software/programming languages/topics in math finance, they asked me if I knew Excel. Apparently Excel is all they needed.

Long story short, if you want to get some experience to ultimately get a MFE and become a quant, this is NOT the place to be. They do not care for your quantitative training at all. I was informed that they took someone with more experience, which is understandable since my only previous finance experience was an internship.

Interview Questions

• There were no difficult questions. Standard ones such as "why should we hire you", "what do you know about Wilshire", explain your background. Pretty much they look at your resume and ask you questions from your resume. Nothing difficult at all. This is an entry level position after all.   1 Answer

Product Support Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Wilshire Associates (Santa Monica, CA) in November 2011.

Interview

I got an initial phone interview through a recruiter. The phone interview lasted 20 to 30 minutes and consisted of behavioral questions, experience questions - nothing crazy. A week later I got a call for an interview at their offices. The interview conducted by two managers and consisted of similar experience and behavioral questions, but also included some basic finance questions. They weren't hard questions but don't be caught off-guard going into the interview.

Interview Questions

• What is performance attribution?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you were faced with a challenge and how did you overcome the challenge?   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Wilshire Associates (Santa Monica, CA) in January 2011.

Interview

Typical interview. Had a phone interview first, then was called in for an in person one with the boss and my coworkers. From start to finish to apron 2 weeks