Wilson Sonsini Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Wilson Sonsini Interview Questions

Updated Mar 18, 2017

Scientific Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Wilson Sonsini in March 2017.

Interview

The whole interview was very conversational. Mostly He was trying to find out how well my skill set matches with their needs. I also had to convince him that it was not a stepping stool for another position, but rather a long term position.

Interview Questions

• Are you able to work overtime if necessary?   1 Answer

Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Wilson Sonsini (New York, NY).

Interview

Started with an on campus interview where I had a twenty minute interview. Was later flown out for a half day of interviews, that lasted about thirty minutes each.

Attorney Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Wilson Sonsini.

Interview

Typical interview questions. The interviewers seemed very uninterested and not present in the interview. Both seemed to be looking to each other for their next question. The interview was fairly short and was straight forward.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 5 years? What are you looking to get out of this position?   Answer Question

Scientific Advisor Interview

Interview

Standard 3 hour in person interview with 6 people; most questions were pretty easy and the interviews were fairly conversational. Submitted academic transcripts, writing sample and CV to the recruiter.

Scientific Advisor Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Wilson Sonsini.

Interview

Submitted my resume to the company recruiter. A few days later, was contacted back for a phone interview, which happened the same week.

Phone interview was with an associate who'd started via the technical specialist/advisor route with a similar educational background. Questions seemed directed toward gauging my interest, and determining whether I knew what the patent group actually did (mechanics, clients, subject matter). By the end of the call, the associate mentioned they'd send positive feedback so an in-person interview could be scheduled.

In-person interview happened a couple weeks later, split between two separate offices. 3 partners, two senior non-partners, and two scientific advisors were the interviewers, about 30m each. Questions were directed toward background, why I wanted to make the unusual choice of moving to law from science, and personal fit/management questions. Concern throughout the interview process seemed heavily directed toward personality fit, ambition, and personal communication skills. After assessing those qualities, most of the interview focused on selling why I should work at the firm (diversity of clients, resources, etc).

Heard back a couple days later to gather information for a reference and background check. About a week after that (so 2 weeks after the interview) received a formal (contingent) offer.

Whole process from application, to phone interview, to in person interview, to offer was about a month, which was amazingly fast. Offer was very generous relative to similar positions at other firms.

Interview Questions

• Describe one time you faced a work conflict, and how you resolved it.   Answer Question
    • Have you managed people before? What is your general approach to managing underlings?   Answer Question
    • A lot of people get into this job because they have a terrible experience as scientists, what's your motivation?   Answer Question

Patent Agent Interview

Interview

Was recruited for months and upon passing the bar exam, I was dropped. Quite disappointing and sudden with no advance notice. The process was quite simple with a phone interview with an associate, later on it was indicated that the technology field was no longer being offered and basically goodluck in your job search. Just a very odd situation but found a much better position and people at a much bigger newyork firm so I'm ultimately glad that it didn't work out, I would have missed out on another opportunity and ended miserable there

Executive Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Wilson Sonsini.

Interview

I was invited to two interviews, one with the office administrator and one with associates. The odd part was that they just dropped the ball after the second interview. I waited for nearly 50 days for a response before I finally sent an email reminding them that they still had me on the line (knowing the answer was no and having already determined that I didn't want the job - mostly due to their dropping the ball and partly to do with developments at my current job).

Colleagues at my current firm who had previously worked at Wilson warned me that is was a stale environment and felt more like a factory than a top tier law firm and some of the interview questions brought that home. For example, an associate asked if I like to socialize at work. When I asked for clarification, she said they prefer to keep conversations to a minimum and focus on the work at hand. I can understand how this would be desirable in an insurance defense firm, but not in a top tier firm. This reminded me why people consistently go from Wilson to my current firm and not the other way around.

Summer Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Wilson Sonsini.

Interview

I had a screener at school and a callback on site. It was a very straightforward interview process, generally casual/conversational. Five or six attorney interviews at the callback stage. Pleasant, and partners were all easy to talk to.

Paralegal Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Wilson Sonsini.

Interview

Initial phone screen, followed by in person interview with several people. I spoke with the manager, a partner, an associate and a couple of other paralegals. They asked me the typical interview questions. In person interview took a couple hours. Heard back from them in a week or so later.

Talent Management Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Wilson Sonsini (Palo Alto, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

Slow, daunting process - now at over 3.5 months.

Initial phone interview in mid-March with Staffing Manager

Second interview onsite in Palo Alto with one person, the hiring manager, took place early April

After three weeks of not hearing from the firm, I thought I was certainly no longer in their process; however, I received an email the third week requesting another round of interviews which took place in early May, a month after my second round interview. At this time, I questioned their ability to meet my comp expectations and their ability to make a quick decision. The recruiting assistant assured me that they would do both. I met with the head of professional services (extremely great, down-to-earth guy) and the senior manager for lateral recruiting (not a warm lady). She was cold throughout our interview and continuously questioned my ability to learn the various intricacies of legal practice areas in a way that was extremely condescending. I have a master's and bachelor's degree with stellar GPAs, and have worked at companies that required much steeper learning curves. She was a red flag. Given I wouldn't be working closely with her or reporting to her, I overlooked it.

A few days later, the recruiting assistant reached out and said there would be a delay in the decision as they were now considering internal candidates. Mid-May, there was still no decision. It is now approximately 60 days since my last interview and they still don't have a decision. The role is still open on their website.

As you can imagine, this interview process has been a frustrating one. I have decided to drop out of their process. I hope the staffing department reviews this and changes the process for those they are currently considering/will consider in the future.