Winston Grey Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Winston Grey

2.2

Sort:

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Winston-Salem, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Winston Grey (Winston-Salem, NC) in February 2015.

Interview

3 part interview, the 1st part only took five minutes, the 2nd part took an hour, and the 3rd part took 5 minutes. There was no point of having the 1st or 3rd interview

Interview Questions

• What is Direct and Indirect Marketing?   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Winston-Salem, NC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Winston Grey (Winston-Salem, NC) in August 2015.

Interview

Very short! The brief of the position was not what was advertised. During the first 5 minutes, the interviewer took a call and informed me that she had a scheduled conference call in the next five minutes. She rushed through a series of questions--told me there had many applicants and that three would be selected for a second interview by 5pm that day. My interview was at 3pm. I had learned from three other applicants that this was standard and they never heard anything else from them. When I got the interview I sorta of knew what to expect. Although the entire process from initial phone interview to the meeting with the CEO took only two days...I had submitted by application two months prior. Being we had very diverse backgrounds ( education, experience, work history), you would have thought that one of us would have made the cut.

Interview Questions

• Describe yourself in one word.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Winston-Salem, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Winston Grey (Winston-Salem, NC) in July 2015.

Interview

They tell you it's not a sales position but these opportunities are FALSELY ADVERTISED. You stand in Sam's Club and Costco and peddle worthless products to people. The second round interview consisted of me watching a Winston-Grey employee try to grab people's arms in a Sam's Club and rub lotion on them...If you have a college degree, you can do better! Good luck out there!

Events Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Winston-Salem, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Winston Grey (Winston-Salem, NC) in September 2015.

Interview

There were 4 interviews, the first over the phone ( a screen) , second in the office (10 minutes to answer their questionnaire), third in a sams club, and fourth in the office. The second interview lasted only 15 minutes and there were three people in the waiting room of the office with me (not a good sign) The third interview at a sams club demonstrated what the job would be doing- selling bamboo pillows to people who walk by. This interview was supposed to last an hour, only lasted 38 minutes for me. Fourth interview was in the office, and only lasted 10 minutes. I was almost insulted by this- if I am being considered to join a very small team, I would want the chance to connect and learn more about a future boss.

I got the position, and asked for a written offer in terms of hours, vacation, benefits, and general employment policies. These things were verbally explained over the course of the interviews, but they could not provide a written offer (something I personally see as important when considering a job).

In addition, I was told that I would start at $7 an hour for 4-6 months while working every weekend, then jump to $75,000. If that is true, then why does no one on Linkedin have Winston Grey listed as their employer? On their Facebook page, why are there different "employees" pictured in every picture, indicating that turnover is that high for a company with a $75k salary coming? Also, why are there so many listings on every job site for this company, under relatively different titles, when the office is tiny?

Things seemed a little strange to me- but it could be a good fit if you are willing to take a risk with a startup company. I wish them the best, but turned down the offer because it did not seem like a good fit for me.

Interview Questions

• Why are you currently looking for a job?   1 Answer

Public Relations Interview

Anonymous Employee in Winston-Salem, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Winston Grey (Winston-Salem, NC) in October 2015.

Interview

There were three rounds of interviewing for the "Public Relations" position at Winston-Grey. The first round consisted of traveling to the Winston-Grey office and having a sit down meeting with Greyson who is the president of the company. This was a very laid back interview and Greyson seemed genuinely interested to get to know me as a person. After receiving a call back the next interview was conducted in a Costco, which is the location where all of the "Phase 1" employees set up their trade show booths and attempt to sell the specified products they were given for that cycle. This was a more hands on interview where I was able to talk to the other employees and I also got to see them in action on the selling floor. After talking with the other employees the interview continued with Greyson who asked me specific questions regarding marketing and sales techniques. In addition to these questions more information was given about compensation and the actual hours of the position. The third round interview was back in the Winston-Grey office with Greyson. This third round was very short and just consisted of a brief detailing of our time at the Costco and then ended with some final thoughts about the entirety of the process. All in all, the interview experience was very pleasant and I enjoyed meeting the team members of Winston-Grey.

Bottom Line: Be aware that this is a sales position. The first phase of this position lasts for about 6-8 weeks where you as the employee are required to sell and verbally market products to customers at Costo and Sam's Club. After this first phase there are ways to "move up the ladder" in terms of taking over a manager position but if you are not interested in sales or dealing with the public head on I would not recommend this position.

Interview Questions

• Describe your work ethic in one word.
      What is the difference between Direct and Indirect Marketing?
      Tell me one thing about yourself that is not listed on your resume.   Answer Question

Public Relations Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Winston-Salem, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Winston Grey (Winston-Salem, NC) in September 2015.

Interview

It was a very quick turn around in how quickly they called me back and given that I am graduating soon I was ecstatic. I had an interview similar over summer with a different company in Raleigh, and the job was completely misrepresented you get paid based on commission and you stand in Sams club or Costco and sell stuff....not at all what i went to school for four years for.

Interview Questions

because the job is very falsely advertised

Entry-level Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Winston Grey (New York, NY) in September 2015.

Interview

It's a three-part interview process. Your first initial interview is anywhere from five to ten minutes, at the most. It's at a renovated apartment. This is where the CEO, Ms. Greyson, just tries to learn a little more about you and explain a little bit about the company. She also asks some questions but nothing intimidating or hard. Then, you are told that they've interview about 300 people and that they'll select 30 possible applicants out of the 300 and they will receive a call back by 5:00 pm that day. I was one of the 30 they called back and wanted a second interview with. So, the second interview is anywhere from thirty minutes to an hour and is located at SAMs club or COSTCO. At this time, you are interviewed along with another candidate-at the same time-which can seem competitive and a little intimidating, to be honest. This second interview was much harder, for me, personally. You are asked to bring a copy of your resume, although you had already brung one at the first interview. There was SO MUCH information thrown at you at a fast pace. You are asked to take notes while trying to retain the information being told and while also trying to maintain great eye contact. You find out more of what the job inquires and what they expect of you. You start out at minimum wage--in which they explain why but I kind of find it ridiculous why they start you off with $7.25 with a full schedule. They tell you that you'll work your way up and make this great money and such. But, truly, you should have a decent amount of knowledge and experience in sales and marketing to even consider taking the job and being able to grow within Winston Grey. I do love the traveling (for job training and such) they offer but really isn't a job just for anyone. You are asked to email them by 7 pm that night to tell them if you are still interested or no longer interested. I was no longer interested. But, the people at Winston Grey were very nice and personable.

Interview Questions

• What is Direct Marketing and Indirect Marketing?   1 Answer
    • Which one is less efficient? (Direct or indirect) And why?   1 Answer
    • Why should we hire you?   Answer Question
    • Why do you think we start all of our employees at entry-level positions?   1 Answer
    • Tell me a little about yourself.

*not really a question but be prepared to answer this.   Answer Question
    • What is another skill you have that is NOT on your resume?   Answer Question
    • What would you say is your biggest weakness?

*be sure to give an example of why (whatever your weakness may be) that is your biggest weakness.   Answer Question
    • What sets you apart from everyone else?

*again, give an example with whatever your reason is for what sets you apart.   Answer Question
    • Do you think you could work in a fast-paced environment?   Answer Question
    • Why do we try to fit a 5 year college program within a 6-9 month program?

*this was definitely a question that threw me off.   Answer Question

Assistant Manager/Account Management - Entry Level - Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greensboro, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Winston Grey (Greensboro, NC) in April 2015.

Interview

You apply online, then a very nice lady calls you and sets up an interview, but they are always on a tight timeline and really need to get you in quick because they want to make a decision next week.

They remind you to bring a resume and to dress business professional (which was odd) and then you show up in a room filled with other people with degrees who are looking to graduate soon or who just have. They then take you into a room with Grayson, the CEO for a fifteen minute interview in which they tell you how great the company is and how they cross train everyone to fill every role. They make you answer the same questions as the person next to you and you end up playing off of each other to try and have the better answer.

Then you leave, no questions because they have 30 more people to interview and they have a tight timeline.

The next time they call, (remind you again to bring a resume and dress professionally) you are directed to a Sam's club or Costco and you "observe" their "Direct Marketing Technique" in which is really watching two employees hawk over priced unneeded things to the people who shop in these locations. They then coach on how they can secure a sale even better and use lots of pressure and fear of loss for the consumer since of course "they are only here until Sunday and they only have 8 more bags left".

You sit down again in the cafeteria of Sam's club and continue to ask questions about buzzword marketing.

What they don't tell you is you are going to be hawking goods like a mall kiosk but with more pressure to "meet your quota". They assure you that you are going to get a promotion soon, they swear it, and you do this essentially until you quit.

Interview Questions

• Why do you think we place people with 4 year and 6 year degrees at entry level to start with.   1 Answer

Winston Grey Response

May 18, 2015 – Owner

Winston Grey is a privately held company that operates in accordance with North Carolina state labor laws. We strive to serve at the best interest of our clients and our team members by conducting... More

Sales/Marketing/Advertising Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Winston-Salem, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Winston Grey (Winston-Salem, NC) in June 2015.

Interview

The interview was a face-to-face conversation with the president of the company. She looked over my resumé and described the process being used to narrow down the positions’ candidates. She then asked a series of questions pertaining to my experience and level of comfort with certain expectations for the job.

Interview Questions

• How would you describe yourself in one word?   1 Answer

Promotions/Marketing Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Winston-Salem, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Winston Grey (Winston-Salem, NC) in June 2015.

Interview

You arrive at a renovated apartment and are told to fill out an application-like sheet and then you interview with one person and they give you the job description which is supposed to be "marketing and PR" and doing "events" at stores like cost co and Sam's club. Then you're told you were chosen out of 300 and there are 30 of you and only a few will be chosen by 5pm that day. After you've been chosen you are directed to one of the two stores mentioned and there you have to do a second interview and give a resume, which you already did at the office and then you watch two of the employees hover over the aisles and by the registers to find people to buy some random product that the company is offering that is so much money in the store but for a "great deal" there. Then you're basically taken anywhere they can find a seat, no matter if people are around or not, and told more about the company and how you can "move up" in a year if you are able to sell these products daily, basically. Then the fun part comes where they insult your intelligence by telling you that the pay is split into two parts. Base pay and promotion. Base is minimum wage in the state and promotion is 18%. This promotion pay is based solely on people buying the product. So it is definitely funny how they tell you that you are doing "promotion" not "sales" but in reality if you don't get anyone to buy the product, then you solely get basic minimum wage which is NOT the way it is advertised. They claim if you just come and show up then that's what minimum wage is for and people don't want to work and that's why they don't get the promotional pay. But a person can work hard all week and not get anyone based on consumers just not demanding the product and they still get minimum wage??? This place is a JOKE!!! and it was very insulting to sit through an interview process and have someone try to trick me in that manner. I am a very educated individual who spent hard earned money earning my degree and what I experienced, I hope no one has to again due to my review.

Interview Questions

• What kind of dog would you compare yourself to? (and yes they are serious)   Answer Question

Winston Grey Response

Aug 6, 2015 – Owner

Winston Grey strives to provide an empowering work environment with career opportunities to those who join the team. It is our intention to always act in the best interest of our team members and our... More