Wizards of the Coast Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 12, 2017

2.8

Release Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Renton, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Wizards of the Coast (Renton, WA) in July 2017.

Interview

This Release Management group has most likely already decided on someone but has continued to advertise their job description with every third-party recruiter in the area to apparently scrape information from candidates to help themselves personally.

External recruiter contacted me for my resume, then scheduled a phone interview with the hiring manager. Recruiter seemed nice and followed up regularly whenever she received an update. She called me on a Friday and told me she thinks my phone interview will be the following Monday at 11am (the hiring manager had given her the date for Sunday), but she will confirm and get back to me.

Recruiter called me the next day (yes, she was working on a Saturday) to say that the manager didn't get back to her but that I should plan for Monday. I asked her if it was possible to push it back to another day, since I had an important class during that time. She told me the hiring manager was in a hurry to fill the position, since she would be traveling to India at the end of the month. Ok fine, I agreed to do what she needed. (I really regretted this after the "interview".)

The recruiter suggested I look up the manager's LI profile in preparation for the interview. It was the most falsified LI profile/resume I have seen to date with duplicate degrees listed with words transposed to appear to be different degrees and major overlaps and duplicates of work experience. It is really irksome to hear about how a great many people lie on their resumes and then repeatedly witness people who seem to get away with the dishonesty for 3-4 years at a time at each company they finagle. It's a cycle of bad hiring managers who hire more bad hiring managers and employees.

They called a few minutes late on Monday. There were three people total on the phone but one was completely silent. I was asked a lot of specific questions about the release process. When the "Do you have any question for us?" part came up at the end, I asked when they expected to make a decision there was a strange pause as if they were unprepared to answer such a common question and eventually said by the end of the week. I found this strange and thought this may not be a legitimate open position. I then asked how do they work with the development and QA teams. They replied that you would be working for the Release Management team. I replied, ok but release management usually requires a lot of interaction with other teams. When the manager started answering, the line went dead. They called back a minute later to say they didn't know what happened and that they were just calling back to thank me for my time. I said I did want to ask my questions that got cut off before and asked about what they do for the Maintenance end of the SDLC. They repeated back bits and pieces of my own wording from the detailed line of questioning they had asked me about my experience in release management, then quickly said the line was going bad again and hung up!

I did read through some of the Glassdoor reviews for WotC before the interview. I give merit the ones that appear to be written by genuine and knowledgeable employees (the ones who have been there a while and are not just writing fluff). Given the depressed salaries and the lack of being competitive in the software industry (no one in the Greater Seattle area talks about this company's software, and this is a very tech rich area with plenty of tech talk about almost any company), these interviewers seemed to be acting out of some sort of desperation executed in a highly unethical (but probably not uncommon) manner. They very clearly had no interest in doing a quality interview or finding a quality candidate, they were information gathering and collecting verbiage to help themselves.

There's no way that someone who would put together such a sloppy LI profile would be good at release management. It seemed apparent by their lack of ability to answer my questions (or lack of attempt to even try to be courteous about answering my questions) that they probably don't know what they're doing. Maybe they've reached the 3-4 year mark that it takes most companies on average to figure out when they've hired a BS artist. My conclusion is that the interview by this team was a sham designed for them to collect information they can use for their own future interviews - using these interviews to receive free interview answers customized and specific to their functions. If they collect enough information, they can interview for themselves and pretend to have skills that they don't but can repeat answers from their previous "interviewees".

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Renton, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Wizards of the Coast (Renton, WA).

Interview

Applied online and heard back from a recruiter about a month later. Had a phone interview that went very well and was called back that day to schedule a phone interview with the hiring manager. Hiring manager was 20 minutes late to the phone interview. She did not let me know when I would hear back.

After about 3 weeks, I thought I didn't get through to the next round but was asked to come in for 2.5 hours of interviews with three different panels. The recruiter said she would follow up via email with more information later that day. I didn't receive an email for two days so I pinged to see if I would get that. She emailed me at 10 pm on a Saturday and said she would get me more information later. I asked again on Monday, since I hadn't heard from her and my interview was that week. She sent me the info and said that she sent an NDA in another email. Since I did not get one, I responded to let her know. The next day she send me an NDA with someone else's name and title on it. The whole pre-interview process was very messy.

The day of the panel interviews, everyone was confused where they were having them. Again, very disorganized. The first interview went very well, but in the second interview, one of the panel members brought in a laptop and was clearly not paying attention. He was typing (working, I guess?) the entire time. Acted very disinterested. The other interviewer asked questions without followups. Was extremely terse, uninviting and even insulted my use of academic terminology. Expected me to give them marketing campaign ideas even though I hadn't been hired.

The third interview was with the hiring manager. She was super excited and impressed with me and said she'd be giving me a call Friday (and that they were calling everyone on Friday with the news). I received no call on Friday and saw the job was re-posted to the site. I circled back with the recruiter to see if I was still a candidate for the position and a week later she said they went with someone else, even though they loved me and encourage me to consider applying for other positions with the company. I asked for feedback about my interview and never received a response. Would never apply for this company again. I'll also be playing Pathfinder from now on, thanks.

Interview Questions

• Give us your marketing strategies, even though we haven't hired you yet.   1 Answer

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Renton, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Wizards of the Coast (Renton, WA) in December 2016.

Interview

1. Phone Interview
    2. Software Test
    3. Phone Interview
    4. In-person Interview

WotC says they are business casual, but one of the interviewers strolled in in a T-Shirt, shorts, and flip flops, so don't feel pressured to dress up
    Interviewers were generally friendly, but they will pick apart your code mercilessly.

Interview Questions

• How would you design a program that allows these Magic cards to interact correctly?   Answer Question
    • Are you familiar with Scrum?   Answer Question

Design Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Wizards of the Coast in September 2016.

Interview

Extremely unprofessional. Interviewer kept interrupting me, and would not let me finish some questions.
    Within a couple weeks of applying through campus portal, I was asked for my available times for a phone interview. After sending back my available times, she had forgotten to reach out to me for almost two weeks. I followed back up with her and she schedule an interview for the day of.
    Still haven't received a response back.

Technical Producer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Renton, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Wizards of the Coast (Renton, WA) in May 2016.

Interview

Many of the interview questions surrounded the need to be able to speak to engineers, project leads as well as stakeholders. The setup of the phone interview and actual in-person interview went smoothly however the actual in-person group interviews felt disorganized. Some people who were supposed to be in the group interview process never showed up. Others showed up late. The interviews were conversational and casual which was nice. Most frustrating part of the interview process was how many months passed between going in for an interview and then finally getting a generic form email indicating the position was no longer available.

Technical Producer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Renton, WA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Wizards of the Coast (Renton, WA).

Interview

Phone interview first with basic questions to make sure you know what you are talking about.
    1 or 2 days of panel interviews depending on the time and your schedule. Panels are usually 2-3 individuals that you will be working with or their proxy. These interviews take about 1 hour and you can expect to have 2-3 of them depending on the role.

Interview Questions

• Describe the difference between Scrum, Waterfall and Kanban.   Answer Question
    • What would you do in a scenario where you had one stakeholder asking for more scope and another pressing you to be mindful of the budget/schedule?   Answer Question

Senior Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Renton, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Wizards of the Coast (Renton, WA) in February 2016.

Interview

I applied online and heard back from one of the recruiters about 3 weeks later. A week after that, I had a phone interview with the recruiter. It lasted about an hour and fifteen minutes. The questions were mostly behavioural with a few technical questions about design. An onsite interview was scheduled about a month after this. The whole process took about 2 1/2 months. I would recommend keeping in contact with the recruiter on a regular basis. The recruiter I worked with was very quick to respond but did not keep me up to date with anything unless I asked.

Interview Questions

• Explain in plain english what this function does. It was a C bit shift function that essentially returned the number of bits that are set in a number.   1 Answer
    • How would you design the rules engine for Magic:The Gathering Online? To reduce the complexity they asked me to just consider the different zones of the game.   1 Answer
    • Implement the function bool isPrime(int number). I wrote this out on the board and we discussed optimizations such as caching values returned from the function.   Answer Question
    • There were a few questions relating to MTG mechanics, mostly stack related.   Answer Question

Human Resources Generalist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Wizards of the Coast.

Interview

Recruited contacted me for a phone interview and we had a nice chat. They explained the position and the company, then went through questions with me. At the end I had an opportunity to ask any questions that I had. Most of the questions that they asked were behavioral ones. The call took about 45 minutes.

Human Resources Generalist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Wizards of the Coast (Seattle, WA) in December 2015.

Interview

Interview with external Recruiter first, via phone. Interview with internal Recruiter second was also via phone. Both phone calls lasted approximately 30ish minutes. Covered everything from job description to what a day in the life of their generalist looks like, to cultural atmosphere. Interviews took place several weeks apart. First interview was technical, second behavioral. Both really friendly recruiters that seemed very happy with their jobs and companies.

Costumer Service Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Wizards of the Coast in July 2015.

Interview

I interviewed over the phone with two people. In general the interview was very awkward because the two people who interviewed would talk each other, saying inside jokes, and it made me feel like I was a 3rd wheel in their conversation. After I answered a question there was always a 30 sec - 1 min pause where they wrote down my answer, which made me even more uncomfortable. They asked a lot of common questions (What are your strengths / weaknesses?, Why should we hired you?), but also a lot of cute / nerdy questions that were difficult to answer because it felt like they expected me to entertain them. They asked a few questions about what I would do in X or Y situation (e.g. What do you do if you're working and you hear one of your coworkers having a casual conversation were they are wrong about something?) and when I gave an answer they would try to bait me into saying something wrong. (e.g. I said I would ignore it and continue working and they tried to further instigate). In general I felt like the questions weren't "hard" but they're process of interviewing was incredibly awkward and half the time it felt like I was being bullied.

Interview Questions

• What is your spirit animal?   Answer Question
    • What superpower would you like to have?   Answer Question
    • What do you do if you're working and you hear one of your coworkers having a casual conversation were they are wrong about something?   Answer Question