Wood Mackenzie Research Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Wood Mackenzie Research Analyst Interview Questions

Interviews at Wood Mackenzie

3.4

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Wood Mackenzie (Houston, TX) in October 2013.

Interview

Very detailed with many people involved. Presentation seems to be standard and the organization seeks feedback from larger team. Team seems strong and enthusiastic about services offered. Structure of interview is middle of the road in regard to length and complexity. Prepare prior and the interview will go well.

Other Interview Reviews for Wood Mackenzie

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I interviewed at Wood Mackenzie (Houston, TX) in February 2013.

Interview

2 rounds of interviews, first - general one; second - more technical. The technical session comprises behaviour test, group presentation and technical presentation. They give you a topic to prepare and then to analyse the issue in the next half hour

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Wood Mackenzie (Houston, TX) in February 2013.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted via email to take a math and reasoning assessment online. It was fairly easy, they also have practice assessments that you can take prior to the real one. I was then contacted by HR to set up a phone interview with and HR rep. It was a short phone interview basically just asking about stuff on my resume and my availability. Then I went to Houston, TX for an Assessment day consisting of an individual case study, group case study, writing activity, behavioral interview, and technical interview. I was there from 8:45am-1:30pm after which they ushered me out without any lunch. The schedule listed lunch with the team, but I guess they decided not to do it that day.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about 3 things that are currently facing the US Petrochemicals industry.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Wood Mackenzie (Houston, TX) in May 2015.

Interview

I found out about Wood Mackenzie at a career fair that I attended. Before approaching the recruiter I had already applied to the position and told him about it. He said he had an open spot for the on-site interview and that he would send me a numerical assessment before I could attend. I attended the career fair on Wednesday, received the assessment Friday, and went to the on-site interview Monday. I should have taken more time to practice for the assessment. It wasn't necessarily difficult but very fast paced.

The interview Monday began with an individual presentation that we had to prepare. Each of the interviewees received their own room to prepare for the presentation (Don't get intimidated by the booklet with the background information since it's pretty long). We had to make a recommendation for a company and point out their areas of improvement. The company was a hypothetical Auto Insurance company.

The second part involved writing two essays "Why do you want to work at Wood Mackenzie/ why are you a good fit, etc" The second essay was " discuss 3 present issues in the upstream energy industry". I would say really think about these questions before hand so you don't have to spend much time brainstorming.

We had two interviews, a technical and behavioral one. The behavioral was really straightforward and relaxing. For the technical one, really make sure you are up to date with the energy industry news worldwide and financial analysis.

Then we had lunch and received a presentation. We had the opportunity to ask more informal questions and get to know some of the younger employees.

Finally, we had to analyze a manufacturing company and make a recommendation on how to operate for the day. We each had 30 minutes to read the background and problem statement. Then the same people from the technical interview came back and just watched us discuss and come up with the most efficient way to operate.

Come mentally prepared for a very long day.

Interview Questions

• Who is the most important person in oil and gas?
      How do you calculate cash flows and interest rate?
      What has caused the price of the barrel of oil to fluctuate?
      How do you know when you have delivered a good presentation?
      3 present issues in the upstream energy industry?
      Why do you want to work at Wood Mackenzie/ why are you a good fit, etc   1 Answer

Research Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Wood Mackenzie.

Interview

The interview started really early in the morning. Overall everyone was really polite and helpful during the process. Multi-stage interview that lasted about 5-6hours:
    1) short-answer essays
    2) Skills assessment (basically testing your familiarity with excel and access)
    3) Technical Interview
    4) Fit interview
    5) Group case/presentation

Interview Questions

• 1) Questions about the energy industry and your career goals.
      2) Setting up different scenarios in excel and access
      3) Resume walk-through. pretty standard technical/fit interview
      4) Group case. read the hand-out and present with the group   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Wood Mackenzie (Houston, TX) in February 2017.

Interview

4 to 5 round interview from behavioral to case study. The case study was on an insurance case where they expect you to skim through the study in half an hour and then go through a set of question if you were a strategic adviser.

Interview Questions

• Why is permian the best basin to be in?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Wood Mackenzie (Houston, TX) in September 2017.

Interview

Interview was a multi-step process that lasted for several hours. Two interviews, one focusing on technical aspects of the oil & gas industry, along with one more broad HR type to consider fit. A case study followed by an individual presentation, and finally a group presentation.

Research Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Wood Mackenzie in August 2008.

Interview

Phone interview was simple, it was more of a 2-way chat to find out a few basics of each other (my motivation for applying, what I am doing in my current role, the role on offer etc). Then people are flown to Edinburgh (or other offices) where a one-day assessment centre takes place: group exercise, presentation (based on case study given on site), HR interview, interview with a potential senior colleague. Exercises were easier than in bank/large corporates assessment centres, HR interview was like the usual 1st round interviews, overall the pressure was not high during the assessment centre.

Research Analyst Interview

Application

The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Wood Mackenzie in July 2010.

Interview

Very professional interviewing process. Offers are in line with the market, but a little difficult to negotiate. Overall, good interview experience.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about time when you disagreed with your boss   2 Answers

Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Wood Mackenzie (London, England (UK)) in March 2015.

Interview

Very professional company that try to understand your motivations and your key skills. The process consists of an online application, followed by a very informative presentation about the company and the various career paths. After this we had to complete a numerical and writing test which were definitely appropriate for the role. The final stage was a one-to-one interview.