Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars Interview Questions

Updated Nov 30, 2016

2.4

Interviews for Top Jobs at Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars

Program Assistant Interview

Interview

Phone interview, then in-person interview with Program Director and Program Associate. This was a federal position, so it took months to be contacted initially.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I came in at the highest GS level for the position. I negotiated a start date.

Internship Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars.

Interview

application-interview-offer

Interview Questions

• Remember to do the research first. Focus on the program bulletin or online projects. At least attend one of their events first.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars (Washington, DC) in January 2013.

Interview

Multiple phone call conversations, recommendations, cover letter and resume
    wanted to see prior experience in the field

Staff Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars.

Interview

After my initial online application, I was contacted for a phone interview with two of the program administrators. The interviewers were friendly and we actually had an engaging and pleasant conversation. Their questions were relatively simple. Most were about elaborating on experiences on my resume, how they've prepared me for this position, why I wanted to work for the Wilson Center, etc.

Interview Questions

• There were no real unexpected questions. There were a couple of minor behavioral questions, such as "How do you handle projects with tight deadlines?"   Answer Question

Negotiation

This is an unpaid position. While it has provided me with some leverage on my resume, I did not learn many valuable skills that compensated for living in this expensive city with no income. However, it opened my eyes to the world of think tanks, and all of the possibilities in Washington, D.C.

Staff Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars (Washington, DC) in November 2015.

Interview

I applied online close to the deadline. About a month later, I got an email saying "we would be happy to have you on our team." I didn't call it an interview as it was more like conversation on the phone asking my research experience (which the staff answered saying I wrote my thesis), familiarity with the program theme, and international experience (which the staff also assisted me by asking my origin). At the end I was scheduled to come in for paperwork, but it was postponed as many staffs were on vacation.

Interview Questions

• research experience, what do you know about the program theme, and international experience   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars.

Interview

Referred by my Prof. got an onsite interview with a recruiter. Interview questions focused on research skills. Also a good candidate's background should be a good match to the scholar he or she would be assigned to.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Nice place with scholars from around the world. Several events for interns. But intern's job functions highly depend on assisted scholar. It can be a good fit for Econ and poli-sci majors.

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars (Washington, DC) in January 2015.

Interview

The online application process was easy and I wasn't forced to fill out an online form that takes 45 mins to fill out. Within a week of applying I had a phone interview. About 2 weeks later I had an in person interview. The interviewer was extremely flexible with my schedule.

Interview Questions

• The basics of "So tell me about yourself?" "What is your biggest strength?" "What is your weakness?" Then more technical questions about my skills and experience in past jobs. The interviewers were all extremely polite and welcoming. There weren't any trick questions.   Answer Question

Development Office Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars.

Interview

Applied online for a number of internships, received an email asking for interview times in the Development Office, scheduled a phone interview and a 3 days later was offered the position.

Program Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars (Washington, DC) in August 2011.

Interview

Phone interview followed by in-person interview with immediate manager and program co-worker. Applied online and heard back within two weeks. After I got the job and started one of the other candidates emailed the general program email to see if she got the job as HR never let her know.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars (Washington, DC).

Interview

Submitted application, was called in for an interview. Was interviewed by two program assistants/associates. Asked questions about my experience in the area, previous internship experiences, academic work, etc. Very basic and as to be expected.

Interview Questions

• What experiences have you had that prepare you for this position?
      What experience have you had conducting independent research? Provide an example.
      Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation.