Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.9

Sort:

Lab Assistant II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Woods Hole, MA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution (Woods Hole, MA) in June 2015.

Interview

You must submit a resume of course. Previous research or lab experience is helpful. The Principal Investigator will probably interview you. You may want to demonstrate some skills with lab techniques. It is not too competitive. You should know how to use certain computer softwares like Excel.

Assistant Director of Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution (New York, NY) in July 2016.

Interview

After submitting a resume, I received a phone screen by an internal recruiter, then a request for an in-person interview. The HR group was very disorganized. I was not told that the recruiter would be out of the office on the day of the interview, and the staff who were present were unaware of my interview. I interviewed with the VP of HR. She started by saying that while she would normally review a resume prior to a meeting, she had not done so with mine. I was then asked to walk her through my resume, and was subjected to basic questions only relating to the size of the organization, who I reported to, and size of staff reporting to me. Conversely, the scope of each role I held and associated accomplishments, seemed inconsequential to her. I asked a question regarding the top priorities for the coming year (a question that one would expect to be asked for a management position) and the VP responded that she had not expected to be asked that question. Based on her robotic approach to the interview, the department's lack of organization of the process, and the high turnover in the HR department, I left the interview extremely dissatisfied. If they had followed up, I would have withdrawn my candidacy.

Graduate Student Interview

Anonymous Employee in Woods Hole, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution (Woods Hole, MA) in February 2017.

Interview

On line form for standard graduate student application with research statement, personal statement, GRE scores, college transcripts, and at least three recommendation letters. In person visit days after the selection process. Identity lab before applying.

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Employee in Woods Hole, MA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution (Woods Hole, MA).

Interview

The interview should have clued me in. The whole place was in chaos, and I barely got a chance to talk to the prospective boss. I chalked it up to being an especially busy week, but it turns out, it's almost always like that here. "Time management" is a foreign concept. Everyone lurches from crisis to crisis, and if there is not a crisis looming, they will go out and create one. In general, people here do not directly say what they mean. You have to do a lot of mind-reading. In an interview, ask for clarification on everything. Don't assume that your reasonable interpretation is what they actually meant.

Interview Questions

• I don't think anything was really hard or unexpected in what they asked. My trouble was in assuming that what I thought they meant in an answer was really what they meant.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation--offer was fine, and the boss said he couldn't do any more.

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Woods Hole, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution (Woods Hole, MA).

Interview

1 on 1 interview 1 hour long. No "testing" but broad questions about physics, engineering and math were asked. Proposed methodology for solving problem was discussed. Experience in grant writing and with academic environments was important

Graphic Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Falmouth, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution (Falmouth, MA) in April 2017.

Interview

Received email about 2 weeks after applying to schedule an in person interview. Interview was a little intense. Started with 3 people from the Design team, then an additional 3 from Marketing.

Researcher Interview

Interview

simple, telephone interview.

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution in October 2009.

Interview

Phone interview led them to fly me from Colorado to Woods Hole. From there, everything clicked -- the people, the work place, and the fact that I was 2 minutes walking distance from the ocean.

Interview Questions

• Asked cross compatibility questions between PC's and Macs -- whether or not hard disks, or optical drives would work in either system.   Answer Question

Negotiation

The salary was tied to the Job Title. I would ask when your job title will change and what the promotional aspect of the job is. It was very intense.