Cover image for Workday

Engaged Employer

Add an Interview

Workday Associate Functional Consultant Interview Questions

Updated Jan 16, 2019

To filter interviews, or .
Found 7 of over 1.3K interviews

Applied online14%
2.4
HardAverageEasy

Workday

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 months. I interviewed at Workday in Sep 2018

Interview

I applied through my university's careers portal. I also had connections to an employee at one of Workday's customers and was referred by them. I think that helped to get me connected to a recruiter early on in the process. My recruiter was nice but it was so hard for me to get a hold of her throughout the whole process. She was helpful when I did hear from her, but so many of my emails and calls unfortunately went unanswered. First, I had a brief phone screen with the recruiter. I didn't hear anything for over a month, then I got email about setting up a first-round, 45-minute video interview. In that interview, I was asked both behavioral and situational questions and I talked about my studies in school, what I knew about Workday, and why I was interested in consulting. It really felt like my interviewer wanted to get to know me and it was a great opportunity for me to ask him questions, as well. I again didn't hear anything for almost a month and then was emailed and invited to a final round interview day (FRIday). I was unable to reach my recruiter to help me prepare before this date and was nervous about being unprepared, but when I got there it was a really relaxed and inviting setting. I was at this FRIday with about 15 other candidates. We were given a few presentations throughout the day and had four 1-on-1 interviews, about 45 minutes each. Those were with employees in various positions and all of them were so friendly and easy to talk to, extremely affable, and genuinely wanted to hear about me, my interests and experiences, and shared a lot about their experiences at Workday, too. About a week after FRIday, I was scheduled for another video interview with the "pillar leader." It was a 30-minute call where we talked about any concerns or questions I had, why I was drawn to Workday and consulting, and about my applicable past experiences. A couple days later, I heard from my recruiter that they were prepared to offer me the position and we hopped on a call about offer details. I received an official offer letter the next day via email to sign and return.

Interview Questions
  • How would you explain your major to a 5th grader?
    Answer Question
  • Why Workday? Why consulting?
  • What do you know about Workday?
  • Why did you choose your major and minor?
  • Tell me about a time you've worked on a team and have had to deal with confrontation in that setting

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pleasanton, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Workday (Pleasanton, CA) in Oct 2017

Interview

First round was a thirty minute behavioral interview on campus. Second round was what they call "FRIday" -- a half day interview, half day information session at Workday's campus in Pleasanton, CA.

Interview Questions
1 person found this interview helpful

What people are saying about Workday

Join the conversation on

Consulting Salary Comparison

5m

works at

Workday

Trying to get a feel for salary expectations at somewhere like Accenture or Deloitte. Currently a Consulting Manager at Workday. Master of Arts in Organizational Management, 6 years experience Consulting, 1 year experience as a Consulting Manager. Prior to Consulting also 3 years of a leadership + 5 years non-leadership experience with different company. Total years in workforce = 15. What level might I qualify for at Deloitte or Accenture and what might Base+Bonus or Total Comp look like?

4 Comments

Tech

473K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/technology/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Interviews&utm_content=Employer-content-integrated-Interviews&utm_term=Workday~197851
Join the conversation on

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Luis Obispo, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Workday (San Luis Obispo, CA) in Oct 2016

Interview

The round before the finals was about 30 minutes with the consulting manager. It was very odd because he never asked me about my previous work experience or why I would be a good fit for the company. I got the original interview after going to the career fair and talking to some of their recruiters and had the next round the following day. It was the oddest interview I have had, but relatively easy in terms of questions.

Interview Questions
  • What was your favorite and hardest class in college, what was the most advanced thing you could do in excel, time when you didn't get along in a group and how you went about it

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Workday (New York, NY) in Sep 2016

Interview

Met through college recruitment. They really take their time to answer all your questions and make sure you know what you're getting yourself into/what is expected of you/what you get out of working there. Later on in the day, I got a text and e-mail about on-site interviews the next day. Second round interviews are in the Pleasanton HQ in California. I had my first round interview 2 weeks ago and I'm still waiting to hear if they are moving forward with my application.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pleasanton, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Workday (Pleasanton, CA) in Oct 2014

Interview

The final round interview began at 7:30am and ended at 4pm. There was an over view of Workday, breakout with your specific department, 3 1/2 hours of one on one interviews with various managers specific to consulting, and product demos. Everyone involved were very friendly. It takes a while for them to get back to you with a final answer.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Workday (Boston, MA) in Feb 2014

Interview

Spoke to at my university's career fair, then received a phone call later that afternoon to interview the next day on campus. Interview was pretty basic, they seemed very interested in my previous experience with implementation at a software company. I think they are looking for more experienced candidates than their job description led on. Overall, a pretty easy-going interview. HR did take a while to get back to me after a few follow-up emails, which they answered with information that wasn't totally helpful.

Interview Questions
  • No difficult questions, just be prepared to talk about past experiences.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pleasanton, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Workday (Pleasanton, CA) in Nov 2012

Interview

Workday looks like a wonderful place to work; not too many rules in place :) but responsible and smart people. I went to Pleasanton for the final round of interviews for the Associate Functional Consultant position. They put me in the Residence Inn by Marriott and picked me up in the morning at 7:30am. Happy HR people are waiting for you at Workday; continental breakfast, general presentation and group specific presentation (for about an hour); 6 interviews- do not panic; it seems a lot, but the time flies; plus the questions are not hard at all; here are couple of tips for you: - Smile, be excited… I mean…be very excited; if someone asks you “how is everything?” do not say “pretty good”, they don’t like that, be explosive and say “amazing”, “wonderful” etc. This is what they want to hear. You really, really have to fake it until you make it!!!!! - When you talk about the software, do not use the word “customize”, they get pretty irritated; workday does not customize things for customers, they configure things - Prepare a set of questions for interviewers; they love to be asked questions, it looks that you are really interested in the company, in the position. But be careful what you ask; it happened to me; I have asked a technical question and the interviewer had no clue to answer and she became very irritated, so I definitely lost points there; couple of sample questions you should ask: How do you describe the corporate culture at Workday? What is the overall leadership style? Is there a structured career path at the company? Assuming I was hired and performed well for a period of time, what additional opportunities might this job lead to? What type of person will do well in this position? What main characteristics, skills he/she should have? (tip: ask the first interviewer and based on his answer, you will know how to play with the next interviewers that are asking you about your strengths, skills etc); What do you like most about Workday? Can you describe the programming language you use in the system? Is java the technology underneath the OMS? Can you please describe the security measures? What are Worktags? – Those are just few examples, but it is critical to have the questions ready; plus be smart: you ask them a question, they will talk and you are the one listening…boom, the interview is almost over. - Sell yourself as much as you can! This is not the time to be modest! No Way!! Tell them how creative and innovative you are; tell them again…and again; if you can make them feel that they need you (not the way around), you are IN, no doubt - Here are few of the questions I have been asked: o Tell me about yourself. o Walk me through your resume o Why Workday? o How are we different from other solutions? o How do you describe the cloud and SaaS to a person that doesn’t know too much about computers, internet? o What qualities you bring to this position? o What projects have you worked on? o Do you have any customer service experience? o Tell me about your latest project you’ve worked on? o Tell me about a course that was really hard and what did you do, what was your approach to get the content and pass the class? o How do you do your research? o Tell me about a professor you didn’t like and one that you liked. o Tell me about manager that really annoyed you and a manager that really impressed you. o Talk about a challenged project, situation! o Where do you see yourself in 5 years? o Why do you think this position fits you? - Do not worry, be confident and do your best; sometimes the cards are played; you are there just because there is a process in place that must be followed; waiting for my bus after the interviews, I saw one of the managers jumping on his buddy and taking him out for dinner; nothing wrong with this picture, but the buddy happened to be one of the candidates; how I felt???? HOW I FELT??? Wish you the best of luck!

Interview Questions
61 people found this interview helpful

Popular Careers with Workday Job Seekers