Workday Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 20, 2017

2.8

Software Engineer - Applications Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Workday (Pleasanton, CA) in September 2017.

Interview

Briefly went over a few questions about me, my past experiences, and my skills. They asked me some questions and then I was able to inquire about the company. It was a 2-on-1 interview so I was nervous at first, but the interviewers, who are also engineers, were very nice.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pleasanton, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Workday (Pleasanton, CA) in September 2017.

Interview

Had on site 2 weeks ago, no response since then, status is same "In Consideration". Extremely slow process. It took more than 3 weeks from phone screen to on site. 1st recruiter called, then one tech screen by phone, next on site to meet with 6 people including managers. Never heard back from them since then. So continue applying to other places.

Advice to the recruiters:- Please send a rejection note to the people whom you reject.

Interview Questions

• core java, string reverse, Singleton, behavioral question.   Answer Question

Frontend Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Interview

The interview experience was positive for me. They try to make the questions as true to the actual day to day work of the role as possible. Overall, there were 4 stages.

1. A phone screen with the engineering manager to chat about the opportunity
    2. A take home frontend task (~4 hours)
    3. A phone interview - code review of the frontend task, and one coding question
    4. Onsite interview at the SF office

The onsite interview was basically mostly behavioral, they really want to gauge if you would enjoy the role, and also gets you to meet the entire team!

Interview Questions

• Framework choices, Javascript-related questions, Motivation as a developer   Answer Question

Engagement Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pleasanton, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 7+ weeks. I interviewed at Workday (Pleasanton, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

Completely unprofessional process that basically always a single bias opinion of ONE Workday interviewer of 8-9 interviewers to control the outcome. Where else does 1/8 equal a majority vote? Basically someone has the power in this situation to make a judgement for any reason (may not even be true) and is given power to control someone's fate of the interview. How can that be considered ethical or a professional process. Basically ONE person (who may have a personal problem with the candidate is given the power of the decison). If 1/8 people have an issue, I would say the issue is most likely 100% personal in that case. Even 2/8 would seem highly skewed.

Senior Associate Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Interview

I had an interaction with the recruiter that was terrible. I kept telling her I was interested in the position. She told me many people had left since it wasn't a development job (even thought the job title says it is), but more of a testing role. I said that was okay and she said she would follow up with me and send my application to the manager. I got a rejection notice on my email literally THE SECOND after the phone call. I've never had that fast of a rejection after phone call before. So rude!

Interview Questions

• Are you okay with 50% testing and 50% development?   1 Answer

QA Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Workday (Los Angeles, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

1. HR contacts through email. 2. HR phone interview setup 3. HR asks basic resume/past experience related stuff and more (details below). 4 You follow up, they forget 5. Set up Technical phone interview 6. They forget and apologize and reschedule 7. Get a Technical call from an engineer who is going to be really sweet 8. Then probably send you a reject after you follow up again even after you answer correctly or may call you for a next round and then reject you

Interview Questions

• HR: Difference between Stacks and Queues, Hash map, Lookup time, find a phone number in a number of files + resume related
      Technical: so many Linux commands, Agile, your experience with Agile, and finally a coding session.   1 Answer

Senior Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pleasanton, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Workday (Pleasanton, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

Interview process was very well organized with 2 phone screens prior to the 2 onsite interviews. Each step was briefed by the recruiting manager prior to any communication with hiring managers and team. I was even supported by the hiring manager in the final interview in what to expect from the VP, who was the final interview.

Interview Questions

• What is it about Workday that attracted you to the position?   1 Answer

Senior Applications Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pleasanton, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Workday (Pleasanton, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

Was contacted by a recruiter through LinkedIn. Brief phone call with the recruiter was followed by a phone interview of 45 minutes with the hiring manager. The interview was mostly behavioral, past experience and few questions on OOD basics. Was invited for in person interview couple of weeks later. There were 3/4 managers, one demo of their IDE and one technical interview with two members from development teams. Their OOD is centered around the object model they use in Espresso which I realized is not entirely industry standard. Their application stores data as object not a client /server model where data is stored in RDBMS or NoSQL DB platforms. They seem to pull data on demand based on object relationships where traditional model fetches data from the RDMS, I felt this makes the object model a bit different. Their Espresso IDE demo will make it more clear.

Interview Questions

• Design Amazon billing invoice, lots of behavioral questions, TDD, Agile process questions.   Answer Question

Senior Associate Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pleasanton, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Workday (Pleasanton, CA).

Interview

This review is more about the interaction I had with the recruiter vs. the actual interview. The actual interview consisted of 2 or 3 phone interviews, and then a 4 hour in-person interview. Everyone I interviewed with was great and I had a great experience during the interview itself. Prepare for LOTS of behavioral questions. There is a standard rubric for interviewing at Workday and it relies heavily on "tell me a time when..." questions.

I had a great interview and was pretty certain I was getting an offer. I waited two weeks and heard nothing. I emailed the Workday recruiter that had set up the interview for me to ask for an update. A completely different recruiter emailed me back (I think she was junior to the main recruiter I was working with?).

Her response was copy pasted to the point that you could see the paragraph indentations of two separate emails she had pieced together. None of it was personalized for me. It was all generic "you were not selected for this role" stuff. I replied that I was surprised/disappointed, and had a few questions about applying to Workday in the future. She responded but didn't answer any of the questions I asked in my followup email. I felt it was really unprofessional and dehumanizing to be pushed off to another recruiter for my rejection email that was copy pasted after a month or more of talking with the team. Really shocking considering they actually develop recruiting software.

Interview Questions

• There was a design session with a panel of 4 people - pretty standard in terms of PM interviews but different in that there is more than 1 person in the room giving you the interview, so more use cases to consider and more ways they will try to trip you up or change requirements.   Answer Question

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Workday.

Interview

Applied at college career fair, phone screen that consisted of one easy problem done over a shared notepad, then questions about things on my resume. Received an offer about a week later (was expedited since I had other offers).