Interview Question

Meat Cutter Interview

-Lexington-Fayette, KY

Whole Foods Market

Would you rather fight 1 horse sized duck, or 100 duck sized horses?

AnswerAdd Tags

Interview Answers

96 Answers

One horse-sized duck. Although it's huge, one has more control over one opponent, than over 100.

Steve on

One should always divide tasks that are too big to manage/handle/perform etc

Witek on

I am not high enough for this.

roijjer on

One horse-sized duck, because, imagine how much roasted duck that would yield!

MojaveMan on

One horse-sized duck. It may be big, but it's still a duck. On the other hand, 100 horses are still horses, even if they're smaller and quite frankly I'd wrestle one big duck beak than 400 horse shoes :)

Mr. M on

Considering Horse as big problem and duck as small problems; my approach would be to tackle one big problem head one rather dealing with 100 small ones later on

Nidhi on

I'd rather work for a company that doesn't ask extremely stupid and irrelevant questions on an interview. Remember, an interview works 2 ways, you are also interviewing the company. If I encounter childish or nonsensical questions like this, I would immediately question the common sense and aptitude of the department I was applying for.

John on

100 duck sized horses are still herd animals and can be contained and subdued by controlling the alpha animal.

Tom Mattern on

Don't over think it. Would you rather work on one big complex problem, or put out a lot of little fires

Brian on

I'd fight a horse-sized duck. After it's dead, I would kill a larger turkey and smaller chicken and make the world's largest turducken.

Otaybanky on

I'd rather nor fight either, because I like animals. A horse size duck would be dangerous. Its bill could kill you and its wings might knock you over. If I had to, I would rather fight the duck size horses. Although a hundred to one odds would be terrible odds, they couldn't all attack at once because they would get in each others way. You could kick several at a time and toss them away, and their tiny hooves couldn't do nearly as much damage as those of a full size horse.

Anonymous on

Rather not fight at all but I would take my chances with a horse sized duck. It would be one on one.

Tc on

Assuming the duck sized horses would be in row? I was told there would be no ducks? What does the union have to say about that? This question really quacks me up.

Donald on

People who keep saying they'd rather fight a horse-sized duck really have no experience with ducks. If a duck was able to exist at the size of a horse, and you had to fight it, you'd be dead. If you have ever seen a regular sized duck get mad at anyone or anything or seen them mate, you'd know how brutal they are. Half the time, they don't even know what they are eating. They would be like velociraptors that could fly. No thanks.

Al Luckow on

A horse sized duck of course! But I wouldn't kill it! I'd drag it home, open a breakfast shop, and wait for the eggs! Can you imagine the omelets you could make with one of those suckers?

Bobbie Fenton on

Depends on the environment. If there is a large body of water nearby, it may provide a safe harbor against little horses. Also, I would assume the giant duck could still fly, which gives it a tactical advantage. I also second John's answer. If asked this on the interview I'd probably walk out rather than spend years working with douchbags.

Alex on

100 smaller objects considering a horse is very much larger than the average person, go with advantage in size i say!

Vincent on

Depends on what weapon I have.

Estee on

It doesn't matter to me whether I am facing a giant duck or 100 tiny horses. I am confident I can handle either one. The real question for me is what is to be gained by defeating the duck and what is to be gained by defeating the horses? I'll take on whichever one is standing in the way of the biggest pay-out.

CJ on

You have a horse sized what? And you want me to "fight" it?

Short Attention Span on

Well I'd rather not fight but I suppose a horse-sized duck would feed a lot more people than 100 duck-sized horses.

Douglas Gumfory on

Wouldn't it behoove us all if we (you, me, the duck sized horses, and that darn Horse sized duck) just ALL get along????

Punk Chicken on

I'm assuming the company paid a HR/Profiler/Analyzer company and this is one of those "if you were a tree, what kind of tree would you be?" questions. And you make up for this irrelevant information by charging your customer base outrageous prices for "organic" produce. Nice.

Steelhead on

I would rather fight the horse-sized duck, because I could run away from a duck faster than it could pursue me. But duck-sized horses (like any size of horse) would be faster than me, and I could not escape.

Chad on

I would tell them that their management would be more effective if they spent less time on reddit.

Allie on

I will say thank you for the "interview". Walk out and leave. Will not venture into such work environment. Birds of a feather flock together. There is no qualitative or quantitative measurement of any kind to measure intelligence. There is a saying "A fool can ask a thousand questions which a wise man can never answer". Perhaps, this explains why all the jobs are exported to China. No wonder. No such animals exist and there is no common sense in this question. Like asking why is the sky so high??? I never teach my daughter this way, that's why she graduated from Columbia University.

BeRealistic on

Horse sized duck. Once you beat it, slow roast for 4 hours in a kiln. Serves 26.

BPS on

I'd rather fight 100 duck sized horses. Why? Because regular sized ducks can be really mean so I'd hate to tangle with a horse sized one!

JM on

I'd rather face off against 100 duck sized horses. I've gone up against 100 (well, at least a dozen) duck sized ducks and that was nasty. Plus, a full grown swan can break a person's leg with one blow of their wing. A horse sized duck is not only fierce, it could probably win with one punch. Horses, on the other hand, are ninnies who will run if given the chance.

Jill on

can't we all just get along?

Anonymous on

Definitely one horse sized duck...no fighting necessary...take him to the salad bar and he will be your friend forever.

Anonymous on

It would be easier to run away from one horse-sized duck. Much more chance that 100 duck-sized horses would get in a good hoof shot.

Charlie on

I dont like to fight. With a 100 small horses a would cut up an apple. With a horses sized duck I would bring a loaf of bread. I would find a solution that benefits us all.

Jay on

From what I understand the duck does not fight. They rather run away. Have you try to herd the ducks?

Tony on

I would rather fight 100 duck sized horses. Reason being 100 horses would be less organized than 1 very large duck! Utilizing speed an the ability to separate a "small" herd would give you the advantage. Besides, ever been "pecked" by a mad duck? It hurts!!!

Anonymous on

look at the horses as rabbits and the duck as a grizzly bear, I will definitely take on 100 rabbits for a grizzly

Anonymous on

Shop at Aldi. Their prices are better and their food is organic. Bet they never ask crap like this, either.

CleMedia on

Anonymous on

Let's consider that fighting does not always mean violence. A horse sized duck may require a lot of food and a bit of coaxing but 100 duck sized horses would take a lot more effort to keep out of trouble and we'll feed. You may be able to deal with the big duck alone but would certainly need help with the small horses. I'm familiar with both situations and adaptable to either.

Anonymous on

One horse sized duck! because i would eat duck over horse any day.

Jesse Jong on

One horse-sized duck! Ducks waddle no matter how big they are....so you might still have a chance of out-running it! Just watch out for the beak!

Alyssa on

What;s the market for Ducksized horses?

Anonymous on

100 duck size horses Mr Obvious.

gonzo on

We promote peaceful solutions at Whole Foods. However, Taste testing duck is not out of the question for our loyal vendors!

Fighting Strategies on

1 horse-sized duck. You can eventually overcome a single obstacle, but multiple obstacles all atonce, coming from all directions, will overwhelm and defeat you.

Anonymous on

100 duck sized horses. I love horses!

Anonymous on

I love to duck hunt, and love the taste of duck. I would love to tangle with a horse-sized duck. However, I could see wrangling the duck-sized horses and turning them into profit as pets (or glue!).

Anonymous on

none of them, because they don't even exist so I don't fight with such an odd things :D

Farid on

1 horse sized duck. The idea Quacks me up.

Robert on

While one is easier to fight than 100, and even a giant duck would be easy to scare off, the horses would be adorable, tame, and I know how to handle horses. Sprinkle some oats around, and they'll be your friends for life.

Courtney on

One horse size duck, I'd jump on its back and DUCK TAPE his peak and legs.

Mimi on

Sorry, I am an animal lover. Senselessly killing animals is wrong. Genetically altering animals is wrong. And, no matter what, someone's going to get a big cleanup BILL! 8-)

Anonymous on

Maybe the question behind the question is "Would you rather deal with one big problem, or one hundred little ones?" Given that Whole Foods is asking the question, they are probably also getting at your opinions on genetically modified animals - while at the same time trying to throw you off. In an interview, the right answer is to question the assumptions behind the question with a followup question or two: What, exactly, is the context in which I would "fighting" such unusual creatures? If I suddenly came upon them, how is it that I now have a choice of one group or the other? What are the rules of engagement? "Fight" does not necessarily mean "kill" - it need not have the weightiness of a fight to the death. As bizarre as it sounds, maybe this is just a "sparring session" of sorts, with good sportsmanship on the part of both man and beast. I don't condone animal abuse, but that's the only thing that seems logical given the illogic of the question. Is negotiation or arbitration an option? Probably better than fighting it out overall, but then again you would have to get lawyers involved.

Geotechnical Engineer on

One more thought: What is the definition of "fight"? Is it a physical battle, a legal battle, or something else?

Geotechnical Engineer on

100 duck sized - horse...

Amel on

One horse-sized duck. All of my attention can be focused on a single duck versus trying to deal with one hundred duck-sized horses.

Brian Rininger on

Depends, would the duck sized horses come at me one by one? then i'd go for these and home runs everywhere. I'd obviously choose no fight in the first place (Animal cruelty you see)

Anonymous on

I would rather fight one horse-sized duck. Although it would be frightening to see such a creature, 100 duck-sized horses have a whole lot of horsepower and my cousin was hit by a car with a lot of horsepower. Things did not turn out too well for him. So I am going to fight the one horse-sized duck.

Darian Nwankwo on

I'd turn it around and say "I don't know how would you handle it?"

Mel on

Neither. Put the ducks on the horse's back and have a parade. More fun.

Tracey Rogers on

Depends on whether I have a gun or a flamethrower. If I have a gun, I would rather fight one horse sized duck because it would be easy to incapicitate a large duck with a gun. If I have a flamethrower, I would rather face 100 duck sized horses because it would be easy to burn enough of them to scare the others. If I have to face them hand to hand, I would hide or run In other words, Every problem is solvable with the right tools. And I'm not going to work for a company that doesn't give me access to the tools I need

Anonymous on

One horse size duck out of the way and run.

Anonymous on

both. turn the horses into a team and the team could overcome the duck.

sue rasmussen on

Overcoming the bigger problem - the duck - would certainly be more rewarding (in both a sense of valour and tasty duck meat!), and potentially less time consuming than the 100 smaller problems. However, I appreciate that as an individual, I have my limitations. If this was a solo fight I think it would be more realistic for me to take on 100 duck sized horses that I can split up into smaller group fights. The duck, however, can fly and, assuming that this was a particularly aggressive duck, may require the use of nets or rope to restrain it. Perhaps a team of 2-3 would be more effective, with 1-2 netting the beast and another person to lure it and pin down the restraints.

Danni Bourne on

I'd rather not fight either parts of someone's imagination, however, to assume they were real, I'd just bring a huge bag of bird seed and a bag of small-sized alfalfa pellets. No need to fight at all. I sure would take a photo or two, but no selfies, -can't be too careful!

Tee Cee on

Neither, because they don’t exist. Neither because I love animals. Neither, I’d take a picture because that would be amazing to see either way.

Cassie on

!00duck sized ducks

arlam on

If you don't understand why they're asking this question I'll tell you quick. The answer is character. Questions like this one, the silly and seeming unrelated questions, are used to determine ones personality and the way one thinks. Now my answer I'd rather fight 100 duck sized horses, and if I'm not dead before they are I would cry for a week over having to kill horses.

Anonymous on

1 horse sized duck -- much easier to manage than 100 of anything.

JCT on

One horse-sized duck. One fight/victory at a time.

Carmen on

100 duck-sized horses. Although either option would be difficult to fight, 100 duck-sized horses would be better. You could actually handle one at a time, especially armed with a longish stick. Also, horses are easier to scare off than ducks. And once one or a few of them get scared and run off, it is likely than the otherw would follow.

Kata on

One horse sized duck

Anonymous on

My boss used to say, don't try to eat the whole cow (is this a Chinese proverb?), so based on this my answer is, I would fight the ten duck sized horses. Maybe the duck vs horse label is meant to be a distraction? Intuitively, I would have gone for the huge duck, but now that I think about it, maybe achieving small victories would be better for me personally, I would want to eat the whole cow, but soon be demotivated.

Bessi on

If it came down to having to fight, it would easily be one horse-sized duck. I would be too enamored over the cuteness of a 100 little horses to even be slightly angry enough to fight.

G on

This question at Whole Foods? I would thank them for the interview, shake hands and leave. This question has no basis in this business and if that is their thinking either 1) they have way too much time on their hands or 2) they don't have their heads in the business. Neither equates to a place I would like to work.

Anonymous on

Down goes Howard the duck horse

I horse sized duck.

G. pendergrass on

Since this appears to be about the CEO or the employees. I am still going to take on the steroid induced duck. Ducks are very tame unless you mess with their young.

Matt on

I can multitask so well, I would take the 100 horse sized ducks. wow confused already !!

Anonymous on

One horse sized duck. Because you have one adversary rather than 100. Also duck meat is edible for humans.

1 horse sized duck.

Anonymous on

1 horse sized duck. A duck has limited mobility versus a horse. Having 100 duck sized horses would prove to be quite adversarial as they will all be running along quickly and whichever horse I wasn't attacking back, would be attacking me. One horse size duck would still be strong, but I can focus my attention on to just the duck which would still focus on a waddle like movement. Would take some time to get the duck down, but I think that would be the easiest to manage.

Anonymous on

I would rather fight a horse-sized duck, because i would share all the duck meat with the community after vanquishing him... :-)

Laughing Hysterically on

one on one is always better odds.

scot swartz on

I wouldn't try to fight it at all. Not one or 100. I would befriend it, help it, see to it's or their needs and align myself with their trust that my intentions are genuine. Now, IF it insisted on fighting, then, I'd bend with the wind that brought those ducks to me and learn how to swim with them, so, a hundred. If 100 ducks or horses wanted to fight at all, it would be for a very good reason. I respect that. Every duck counts. Every horse has a right to run where it needs to. If a horse were the size of a duck, it would perhaps feel out of it's element. If a duck were the size of a horse, it would be afraid to be alone. Compassion answers this riddle.

Anonymous on

I would rather fight a single horse-sized duck. For one, he is only a duck, and the only weapon is his bill. I have never seen an angry duck, but I have seen an angry horse. Horse hooves can kill you. I imagine a giant duckbill could kill you too. But with a duck, all I would need to do is shove some food in his bill to calm him down. I have tried to feed a hundred ducks before, and it's tiring, but they would never hurt you. One hundred angry horses trying to strike you with their hooves reminds me of a scene in Jurassic Park. No thanks.

Kenny on

Martin and Seibert

Anonymous on

Do I have a weapon or not? If I have a good weapon, like a gun or rifle, I'll take the big duck. Maybe even a sword. If I don't have a weapon, I'll take the small horses, I can violently kick/crush each one of them and we'll be done quickly.

Anonymous on

What?! No! I'm not fighting! The huge duck is way too scary and can you imagine how unbelievably cute those tiny little horses would be!? You may keep your job, overpriced produce and violent corporate ethos Wholefoods!!!!!!!

Harold Phelps on

100 hundred duck-sized horses. Try to get a stampede going and get them to run away. A horse-size duck is till massive and dangerous.

Anonymous on

Smaller animals are easier to control and subdue by a larger animal. I can herd the one hundred duck sized horses but I will not take my chance on a horse sized duck. In conquest size matters.

Anonymous on

Size matters. Ducks can fly and have quick reflex. Little horses are just cute.

Richard O'Brien on

100 duck-sized horses

Biff Widig on

1 horse sized duck. Because those tiny horses would be way too cute to fight. Even though a horse sized angry duck would be more difficult to fight due to the enormous flapping wings. Think angry goose. FLAP FLAP FLAP right in your face!

Kim on

remember, 100 duck size horses ducks are small, just step on them

Anonymous on

I would rather fight one Horse sized duck. He would look like a dragon that needed drug testing.

Add Answers or Comments

To comment on this, Sign In or Sign Up.