Whole Foods Market Interview Question: Would you rather fight 1 hors... | Glassdoor

Interview Question

Meat Cutter Interview Lexington-Fayette, KY

Would you rather fight 1 horse sized duck, or 100 duck

sized horses?
Answer

Interview Answer

96 Answers

Neither. We don't fight at Whole Foods.

Steven W on Mar 29, 2016

Please see our Community Guidelines or Terms of Service for more information.

One horse-sized duck. Although it's huge, one has more control over one opponent, than over 100.

Steve on Mar 29, 2016

Rather not fight at all but I would take my chances with a horse sized duck. It would be one on one.

Tc on Mar 29, 2016

One horse-sized duck. It may be big, but it's still a duck. On the other hand, 100 horses are still horses, even if they're smaller and quite frankly I'd wrestle one big duck beak than 400 horse shoes :)

Mr. M on Mar 29, 2016

One should always divide tasks that are too big to manage/handle/perform etc

Witek on Mar 29, 2016

I would rather fight one Horse sized duck. He would look like a dragon that needed drug testing.

1 Horse

Abdul Awan on Mar 29, 2016

One horse-sized duck, because, imagine how much roasted duck that would yield!

MojaveMan on Mar 29, 2016

I would rather fight a single horse-sized duck. For one, he is only a duck, and the only weapon is his bill. I have never seen an angry duck, but I have seen an angry horse. Horse hooves can kill you. I imagine a giant duckbill could kill you too. But with a duck, all I would need to do is shove some food in his bill to calm him down. I have tried to feed a hundred ducks before, and it's tiring, but they would never hurt you. One hundred angry horses trying to strike you with their hooves reminds me of a scene in Jurassic Park. No thanks.

Kenny on Mar 29, 2016

Martin and Seibert

Anonymous on Mar 29, 2016

If I remember corretly, neither of those animals would be able to exist on the other's scale -due to biological reason like mass and weight (a horse-sized duck would collapse on itself) or metabolysm and heat retention (a duck-sized horse would freeze to death).
So, sctirvly speaking, the horse-sized duck would be a much easier opponent.

So perhaps that was a question to either gauge the applicant's konwledge of biology or his ability to konw "memes" and internet culture.

Daniele Mariani on Mar 29, 2016

100 smaller objects considering a horse is very much larger than the average person, go with advantage in size i say!

Vincent on Mar 29, 2016

remember, 100 duck size horses ducks are small, just step on them

Anonymous on Mar 29, 2016

Considering Horse as big problem and duck as small problems; my approach would be to tackle one big problem head one rather dealing with 100 small ones later on

Nidhi on Mar 29, 2016

I'd rather nor fight either, because I like animals.

A horse size duck would be dangerous. Its bill could kill you and its wings might knock you over.

If I had to, I would rather fight the duck size horses. Although a hundred to one odds would be terrible odds, they couldn't all attack at once because they would get in each others way. You could kick several at a time and toss them away, and their tiny hooves couldn't do nearly as much damage as those of a full size horse.

Please see our Community Guidelines or Terms of Service for more information.

You have a horse sized what?

And you want me to "fight" it?

Short Attention Span on Mar 29, 2016

I am not high enough for this.

roijjer on Mar 29, 2016

100 duck sized horses are still herd animals and can be contained and subdued by controlling the alpha animal.

Tom Mattern on Mar 29, 2016

I'd fight a horse-sized duck. After it's dead, I would kill a larger turkey and smaller chicken and make the world's largest turducken.

Otaybanky on Mar 29, 2016

I wouldn't try to fight it at all. Not one or 100. I would befriend it, help it, see to it's or their needs and align myself with their trust that my intentions are genuine.

Now, IF it insisted on fighting, then, I'd bend with the wind that brought those ducks to me and learn how to swim with them, so, a hundred. If 100 ducks or horses wanted to fight at all, it would be for a very good reason. I respect that. Every duck counts. Every horse has a right to run where it needs to. If a horse were the size of a duck, it would perhaps feel out of it's element. If a duck were the size of a horse, it would be afraid to be alone. Compassion answers this riddle.

Anonymous on Mar 29, 2016

Smaller animals are easier to control and subdue by a larger animal. I can herd the one hundred duck sized horses but I will not take my chance on a horse sized duck. In conquest size matters.

Anonymous on Mar 29, 2016

I'd rather work for a company that doesn't ask extremely stupid and irrelevant questions on an interview. Remember, an interview works 2 ways, you are also interviewing the company. If I encounter childish or nonsensical questions like this, I would immediately question the common sense and aptitude of the department I was applying for.

John on Mar 29, 2016

one on one is always better odds.

scot swartz on Mar 29, 2016

Size matters. Ducks can fly and have quick reflex. Little horses are just cute.

Richard O'Brien on Mar 29, 2016

Depends on the environment.
If there is a large body of water nearby, it may provide a safe harbor against little horses. Also, I would assume the giant duck could still fly, which gives it a tactical advantage.
I also second John's answer. If asked this on the interview I'd probably walk out rather than spend years working with douchbags.

Alex on Mar 29, 2016

1 horse sized duck. Because those tiny horses would be way too cute to fight. Even though a horse sized angry duck would be more difficult to fight due to the enormous flapping wings. Think angry goose. FLAP FLAP FLAP right in your face!

Kim on Mar 29, 2016

Well I'd rather not fight but I suppose a horse-sized duck would feed a lot more people than 100 duck-sized horses.

Douglas Gumfory on Mar 29, 2016

Wouldn't it behoove us all if we (you, me, the duck sized horses, and that darn Horse sized duck) just ALL get along????

Punk Chicken on Mar 29, 2016

I'm assuming the company paid a HR/Profiler/Analyzer company and this is one of those "if you were a tree, what kind of tree would you be?" questions. And you make up for this irrelevant information by charging your customer base outrageous prices for "organic" produce. Nice.

Steelhead on Mar 29, 2016

Assuming the duck sized horses would be in row?

I was told there would be no ducks?

What does the union have to say about that?

This question really quacks me up.

Donald on Mar 29, 2016

One horse sized duck! because i would eat duck over horse any day.

Jesse Jong on Mar 29, 2016

I would rather fight the horse-sized duck, because I could run away from a duck faster than it could pursue me. But duck-sized horses (like any size of horse) would be faster than me, and I could not escape.

Chad on Mar 29, 2016

My boss used to say, don't try to eat the whole cow (is this a Chinese proverb?), so based on this my answer is, I would fight the ten duck sized horses. Maybe the duck vs horse label is meant to be a distraction? Intuitively, I would have gone for the huge duck, but now that I think about it, maybe achieving small victories would be better for me personally, I would want to eat the whole cow, but soon be demotivated.

Bessi on Mar 29, 2016

If it came down to having to fight, it would easily be one horse-sized duck. I would be too enamored over the cuteness of a 100 little horses to even be slightly angry enough to fight.

G on Mar 29, 2016

Please see our Community Guidelines or Terms of Service for more information.

This question at Whole Foods? I would thank them for the interview, shake hands and leave. This question has no basis in this business and if that is their thinking either 1) they have way too much time on their hands or 2) they don't have their heads in the business. Neither equates to a place I would like to work.

Anonymous on Mar 29, 2016

Down goes Howard the duck horse

I horse sized duck.

G. pendergrass on Mar 29, 2016

Try it for yourself to be sure: http://www.kongregate.com/games/kongregate/super-duck-punch

Hekate on Mar 29, 2016

People who keep saying they'd rather fight a horse-sized duck really have no experience with ducks.

If a duck was able to exist at the size of a horse, and you had to fight it, you'd be dead. If you have ever seen a regular sized duck get mad at anyone or anything or seen them mate, you'd know how brutal they are. Half the time, they don't even know what they are eating. They would be like velociraptors that could fly. No thanks.

Al Luckow on Mar 29, 2016

I would tell them that their management would be more effective if they spent less time on reddit.

Allie on Mar 29, 2016

I would rather fight 100 duck sized horses. Reason being 100 horses would be less organized than 1 very large duck! Utilizing speed an the ability to separate a "small" herd would give you the advantage. Besides, ever been "pecked" by a mad duck? It hurts!!!

Anonymous on Mar 29, 2016

look at the horses as rabbits and the duck as a grizzly bear, I will definitely take on 100 rabbits for a grizzly

Anonymous on Mar 29, 2016

Shop at Aldi. Their prices are better and their food is organic. Bet they never ask crap like this, either.

CleMedia on Mar 29, 2016

Anonymous on Mar 29, 2016

Let's consider that fighting does not always mean violence. A horse sized duck may require a lot of food and a bit of coaxing but 100 duck sized horses would take a lot more effort to keep out of trouble and we'll feed. You may be able to deal with the big duck alone but would certainly need help with the small horses. I'm familiar with both situations and adaptable to either.

Anonymous on Mar 29, 2016

A horse sized duck of course! But I wouldn't kill it! I'd drag it home, open a breakfast shop, and wait for the eggs! Can you imagine the omelets you could make with one of those suckers?

Bobbie Fenton on Mar 29, 2016

Since this appears to be about the CEO or the employees. I am still going to take on the steroid induced duck. Ducks are very tame unless you mess with their young.

Matt on Mar 29, 2016

I can multitask so well, I would take the 100 horse sized ducks. wow confused already !!

Anonymous on Mar 29, 2016

One horse sized duck. Because you have one adversary rather than 100. Also duck meat is edible for humans.

1 horse sized duck.

Anonymous on Mar 29, 2016

1 horse sized duck. A duck has limited mobility versus a horse. Having 100 duck sized horses would prove to be quite adversarial as they will all be running along quickly and whichever horse I wasn't attacking back, would be attacking me. One horse size duck would still be strong, but I can focus my attention on to just the duck which would still focus on a waddle like movement. Would take some time to get the duck down, but I think that would be the easiest to manage.

Anonymous on Mar 29, 2016

I would rather fight a horse-sized duck, because i would share all the duck meat with the community after vanquishing him... :-)

Laughing Hysterically on Mar 29, 2016

100 duck-sized horses

Biff Widig on Mar 29, 2016

One horse-sized duck! Ducks waddle no matter how big they are....so you might still have a chance of out-running it! Just watch out for the beak!

Alyssa on Mar 29, 2016

What;s the market for Ducksized horses?

Anonymous on Mar 29, 2016

Don't over think it. Would you rather work on one big complex problem, or put out a lot of little fires

Brian on Mar 29, 2016

I dont like to fight. With a 100 small horses a would cut up an apple. With a horses sized duck I would bring a loaf of bread. I would find a solution that benefits us all.

Jay on Mar 30, 2016

From what I understand the duck does not fight. They rather run away. Have you try to herd the ducks?

Tony on Mar 30, 2016

Horse sized duck. Once you beat it, slow roast for 4 hours in a kiln. Serves 26.

BPS on Mar 30, 2016

I'd rather fight 100 duck sized horses. Why? Because regular sized ducks can be really mean so I'd hate to tangle with a horse sized one!

JM on Mar 30, 2016

I'd rather face off against 100 duck sized horses. I've gone up against 100 (well, at least a dozen) duck sized ducks and that was nasty. Plus, a full grown swan can break a person's leg with one blow of their wing. A horse sized duck is not only fierce, it could probably win with one punch.

Horses, on the other hand, are ninnies who will run if given the chance.

Jill on Mar 30, 2016

can't we all just get along?

Anonymous on Mar 30, 2016

Definitely one horse sized duck...no fighting necessary...take him to the salad bar and he will be your friend forever.

Anonymous on Mar 30, 2016

It would be easier to run away from one horse-sized duck. Much more chance that 100 duck-sized horses would get in a good hoof shot.

Charlie on Mar 31, 2016

I will say thank you for the "interview". Walk out and leave. Will not venture into such work environment. Birds of a feather flock together. There is no qualitative or quantitative measurement of any kind to measure intelligence. There is a saying "A fool can ask a thousand questions which a wise man can never answer".

Perhaps, this explains why all the jobs are exported to China. No wonder. No such animals exist and there is no common sense in this question. Like asking why is the sky so high??? I never teach my daughter this way, that's why she graduated from Columbia University.

BeRealistic on Mar 31, 2016

Depends on what weapon I have.

Estee on Mar 31, 2016

What?! No! I'm not fighting! The huge duck is way too scary and can you imagine how unbelievably cute those tiny little horses would be!? You may keep your job, overpriced produce and violent corporate ethos Wholefoods!!!!!!!

Harold Phelps on Apr 1, 2016

Please see our Community Guidelines or Terms of Service for more information.

It doesn't matter to me whether I am facing a giant duck or 100 tiny horses. I am confident I can handle either one. The real question for me is what is to be gained by defeating the duck and what is to be gained by defeating the horses?

I'll take on whichever one is standing in the way of the biggest pay-out.

CJ on Apr 4, 2016

Do I have a weapon or not?
If I have a good weapon, like a gun or rifle, I'll take the big duck. Maybe even a sword.

If I don't have a weapon, I'll take the small horses, I can violently kick/crush each one of them and we'll be done quickly.

Anonymous on May 2, 2016

Please see our Community Guidelines or Terms of Service for more information.

100 hundred duck-sized horses. Try to get a stampede going and get them to run away. A horse-size duck is till massive and dangerous.

Anonymous on May 13, 2016

100 duck size horses Mr Obvious.

gonzo on May 18, 2016

We promote peaceful solutions at Whole Foods. However, Taste testing duck is not out of the question for our loyal vendors!

Fighting Strategies on Sep 22, 2016

1 horse-sized duck. You can eventually overcome a single obstacle, but multiple obstacles all atonce, coming from all directions, will overwhelm and defeat you.

Anonymous on Sep 23, 2016

100 duck sized horses. I love horses!

Anonymous on Sep 30, 2016

I love to duck hunt, and love the taste of duck. I would love to tangle with a horse-sized duck. However, I could see wrangling the duck-sized horses and turning them into profit as pets (or glue!).

Anonymous on Oct 3, 2016

I'd fight the horse sized duck being that I'd feel guilty fighting an animal for no reason & I'd feel it would be a more fair fight & the duck sized horses would be too cute to fight but I would love keep a few as pets, travel the world & make money exhibiting them & writing a book about them.

martiana on Oct 4, 2016

none of them, because they don't even exist so I don't fight with such an odd things :D

Farid on Oct 12, 2016

1, it's more manageable

tim stevens on Oct 23, 2016

1 horse sized duck. The idea Quacks me up.

Robert on Dec 8, 2016

While one is easier to fight than 100, and even a giant duck would be easy to scare off, the horses would be adorable, tame, and I know how to handle horses. Sprinkle some oats around, and they'll be your friends for life.

Courtney on Feb 2, 2017

Please see our Community Guidelines or Terms of Service for more information.

One horse size duck, I'd jump on its back and DUCK TAPE his peak and legs.

Mimi on Mar 9, 2017

Sorry, I am an animal lover. Senselessly killing animals is wrong. Genetically altering animals is wrong. And, no matter what, someone's going to get a big cleanup BILL! 8-)

Anonymous on Mar 14, 2017

Maybe the question behind the question is "Would you rather deal with one big problem, or one hundred little ones?" Given that Whole Foods is asking the question, they are probably also getting at your opinions on genetically modified animals - while at the same time trying to throw you off.

In an interview, the right answer is to question the assumptions behind the question with a followup question or two:

What, exactly, is the context in which I would "fighting" such unusual creatures? If I suddenly came upon them, how is it that I now have a choice of one group or the other?

What are the rules of engagement? "Fight" does not necessarily mean "kill" - it need not have the weightiness of a fight to the death. As bizarre as it sounds, maybe this is just a "sparring session" of sorts, with good sportsmanship on the part of both man and beast. I don't condone animal abuse, but that's the only thing that seems logical given the illogic of the question.

Is negotiation or arbitration an option? Probably better than fighting it out overall, but then again you would have to get lawyers involved.

Geotechnical Engineer on Apr 7, 2017

One more thought:

What is the definition of "fight"? Is it a physical battle, a legal battle, or something else?

Geotechnical Engineer on Apr 7, 2017

100 duck sized - horse...

Amel on May 15, 2017

One horse-sized duck. All of my attention can be focused on a single duck versus trying to deal with one hundred duck-sized horses.

Brian Rininger on Jun 21, 2017

Depends, would the duck sized horses come at me one by one? then i'd go for these and home runs everywhere. I'd obviously choose no fight in the first place (Animal cruelty you see)

Anonymous on Jun 21, 2017

I would rather fight one horse-sized duck. Although it would be frightening to see such a creature, 100 duck-sized horses have a whole lot of horsepower and my cousin was hit by a car with a lot of horsepower. Things did not turn out too well for him. So I am going to fight the one horse-sized duck.

Darian Nwankwo on Jul 10, 2017

I'd turn it around and say "I don't know how would you handle it?"

Mel on Sep 14, 2017

Add Answers or Comments

To comment on this, Sign In or Sign Up.