XING AG Interview Questions | Glassdoor

XING AG Interview Questions

Updated Feb 28, 2017

2.8

Software Quality Assurance Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at XING AG in May 2016.

Interview

I applied for QA position (that was the only one QA position) available in the career site.
    After 2 days I've got a testing task (nothing special, just some questions to check QA knowledge).
    One week passed since I've sent my answers and I got an email from HR that Xing needs Mobile QA(it was not mentioned on the job requirements) and they asked if it's interesting for me to try myself in PHP related ares, I agreed.
    As the next step I had a Skype interview with two persons - QA and Dev.
    They were really friendly! Interview was quite relaxed and I felt calm and could answer the question without any doubt and nerves.
    During the interview I was told to do more technical task and I've been waiting for it from HR. But as a result I've got a feedback without a task. I was quite puzzled.
    Unfortunately I didn't get job offer and I regret about it.

Interview Questions

• What would I do if today is the deadline and nothing is ready?   Answer Question

FIN Anal Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at XING AG (Cleveland, OH) in January 2014.

Interview

very easy questions nothing hard they wanted to know where i came from and how I would handle stressful situations at my job. Nothing too out of the ordinary. I thought it would be longer but it only took about 30 min it felt very fast and I didnt think it would be that fast

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at XING AG in March 2016.

Interview

I applied on XING, and then I've received a call some days later. They told that they were looking for a Rails Engineer, and I wasn't, but I said that wasn't an issue for me, although I am a Java Engineer. We continued with the process. After that, they've sent me a coding challenge, which I did on Java, of course but they told me that I wasn't a good match for the position (and they didn't clarify which language to use) because I've used Java. Crazy world. They made me lost a whole weekend coding the classical ThoughtWorks problem (Mars Rover). The HR representative was compulsive, and and in a way, in bad terms. What a shame.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hamburg (Germany)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at XING AG (Hamburg (Germany)) in February 2016.

Interview

Standard questions, not really technical, more focused on soft skills, which is pretty unusual focus, considering that it was technical position. The explanation of recruitment process cancellation was based purely on one gap in the soft skills, which I find completely non crucial for that kind of position.

Interview Questions

• Rate your skills from 1 to 10
      What is the most complicated issue you resolved and other standard cliche questions
      Answer Question

Trainee Position Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at XING AG in February 2016.

Interview

First applied on company website, then was invited for Skype interview after waiting longer than one month and contacting the recruitment team. The Skype interview took one hour and was quite relaxed. Before the Skype interview I had to complete the PI and PLI test. However, afterwards I received a standard email text, saying that unfortunately they couldn't consider me for the position. Questions I asked via mail afterwards remain unanswered as of today.

PHP Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hamburg (Germany)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at XING AG (Hamburg (Germany)) in September 2015.

Interview

Interview was made with skype.
    2 people interviewed.
    It was a skype screening.

They asked general questions about my experience, why i want to change a job.

From tech side there was one question regarding an application design.

Interviewers were experts in a subjects. There were happy to explain all details.

In general, this was one of best screening interviews i ever had.

Interview Questions

• Given a link to online app. How can you split this app for microservices   1 Answer

Visual Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hamburg (Germany)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at XING AG (Hamburg (Germany)).

Interview

@ First Steps
    I must to say the process took longer that I would expect from a company that offers disruptive solutions for the jobseek business.

For the first step they will invite you to a phone interview. The interview will take place at least 2 weeks after the first contact by e-mail. In my case, they reschedule the call plenty of times, making the whole process least at least 40 days. I personally believe 40 days to get interviews by phone raises a flag.

If you manage to reach the second step, be prepared to be interviewed by at least 2 people: The HR responsible and someone from the team you are applying.Depending on the position you are trying to fill, the 1:1 interview can be very human and comfortable. Be careful with that.

Remember: you are being interviewed by skilled professionals and their job is to find a suitable professional to fill a role in a pre-existing team.

@ My best advice
    Things are pretty much black and white in Germany, for better or for worse. Even if you are a great thinker with hundreds of amazing skills, try to present strictly only the ones that matters for the desired position. Trust me.

@ General thoughts
    I was personally disappointed with the mindset I found over there. They are a huge company and have huge resources to do whatever they want and bite a huge slice of the market share.

They are among the biggest players in the market, but instead of bet on their innovative, the culture there seems to be limited to "let's keep ourselves competitive and do not put too much effort trying to raise the bar".

They became a corporation, without even noticing.

@ Remember
    These were only my personal findings about them. If you want a more concrete perspective, go and see for yourself ;-)

Interview Questions

• @1 Phone Interview
      - Guide me through your CV
      - How did you overcome this and that
      - Didn't you liked this X? How would you do better?

* Be careful with what you say, during this process they will be actively trying to spot inconsistencies on your stories. Be honest and you will do just fine.

@2 1:1 Interview
      - They will assign you a task and ask you to accomplish.
      Answer Question

Senior Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hamburg (Germany)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at XING AG (Hamburg (Germany)).

Interview

The process was extremely long: test task, code challenge, one tech interview, another one, pair programming session, several hr interviews. They even invited me to the office and do two more interviews there. It took about 2 month total. And after all that time waste they started to negotiate my lower salary border down. I made it clear from the very beginning that I would not agree for lower compensation.
    And they waste so much of my time. No respect to candidates at all.

The people and employees I met during my interview were the opposite side: friendly and open-minded.

Talking about teams tech level (I did my own investigation and spoke with potential colleagues) it is low to medium: probably a good starting company for beginners or immigrants.

Interview Questions

• All the clishe questions like: what is your weak, strong points. Are u a good team player and another hr crap.   Answer Question

User Experience Design (Senior/Lead) Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at XING AG.

Interview

Submitted online application.
    Timely reply from HR dept, inviting to a skype call with an HR person 2 weeks later. Eventually, that person got sick, yet the interview is still scheduled but with a 2nd HR person.
    On the interview day, I got called by a 3rd HR person for discussing my background and the position (a freelancer, not Xing's employee). She is very kind and polite but barely speaks English and apparently know near to nothing detailed/significant on the company and the position(s): overall, pretty much a waste of time to schedule and attend such an interview.
    However, about a week later I got an invitation (from a 4th HR person) to schedule a call with the group director and the 3rd HR person, together with an invitation to complete and submit an "interaction design challenge". These challenge is composed by two exercises, NOT abstract ones but actually related to their specific product (namely, work for free).
    I kindly ask if possible to postpone any on-demand execution of design work, at least until a possible final phase where we may both know significant info about each other. Request is accepted, and the interview still get scheduled for a week later.
    I eventually need myself to reschedule the interview date for an unforeseen emergency; we successfully do so for just a few days later (weekend in between).
    I then attend the interview with the director and finally talk about the actual position and related challenges (hooray). Seems going fine and are told that I would get back within 7 days to know on whether or not we'll proceed.
    14 days later, silence on their side (even after having sent a follow-up email to both HR and the director, which stay unanswered).
    I therefore call the 3rd HR person on her mobile asking for feedback, and she tells that they have decided not to go forward...

As per the decision, fine of course.

On process, organization, and overall attitude: far from being actually productive and respectful of candidate's time and professionalism. Moreover, asking straight away for actual design work, masked as a "design challenge" (no matter if they ask on that to be time-boxed to 6 hours circa), truly stinks.

Hope and believe this will be very useful for other applicants :-)

Interview Questions

• "Design challenge" exercise   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Three phases:
    Phone interview. During this phase, different engineers will ask you technical questions and others regarding your background.
    Code challenge. They will send you a code challenge one day at one specific time. In two hours you have to send the solution back.
    On-site interview. Different interviews this day. One with hr and your possible manager. Another with your possible workmates, where you have to code in front of the interviewers something similar to your possible daily work, using a computer, and answer technical questions.

Interview Questions

• The last day is the most important one, you have to code in front of people so it's important to keep calm.   Answer Question