XO Communications Interview Questions | Glassdoor

XO Communications Interview Questions

Updated Jun 7, 2017

2.6

Channel Manager II Interview

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at XO Communications in February 2010.

Interview

After being made to wait over 10 minutes, the Branch Manager finally came out to greet me. While I was waiting I had absolutely nothing to do than to review my notes. The lobby is not staffed, doesn't have any magazines or actually any sign of life.
    Once we shook hands, he proceeded to walk well over 10 steps in front of me. I'm not a slow mover so this just insulted me that he couldn't somehow bring himself to walk with me. It was as if he was saying " I really don't have time for you."
    During the interview he was rude, interrupting, and overall did not give me a good impression of how he runs business.
    Later I was told by an employee that her first meeting was also not too great.
    To be fair I have spoken with another employee who is very happy, but she may be the exception & not the rule.
    Although I would accept an offer of employment (due to the still very rough employment climate), I would be extremely wary of him.

Enterprise Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at XO Communications (Chicago, IL) in August 2016.

Interview

In depth, fair and focused on my results with past employers. The questions were direct and substantive and the interviewers were honest and upfront regarding compensation, culture, and what would be expected of me should I be hired.

Interview Questions

• Why do you think you will be successful at XO?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Relatively easy and fair.

Senior Manager Finance Interview

Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at XO Communications (Herndon, VA) in May 2014.

Interview

I had previously worked with the person who was going to hire me, and had interviewed on two previous occasions and had met the CFO. So it was a very easy process for me. I spoke with everyone in the group I'd be working with and well as the hiring manager. Didn't have to come back for a second interview.

Interview Questions

• Since all your experience is in wireless, how do you see yourself learning what amount to an entirely different industry (wireline)?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Wasn't able to negotiate. Was told by hiring manager they weren't a company with significant financial resources; effectively preparing me for a relatively low offer.

Central Office Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at XO Communications (Dallas, TX) in April 2010.

Interview

Based in large part on attitude over aptitude. They already have many tenured folks on staff, but they need trainable people who can work together and get along. Have the right attitude, willingness to go the extra mile, positive can do attitude. Must have telecom and some facility experience as you will be required to on top of industry eqpt and maintain the sites.

Interview Questions

• How do you structure your day when you have projects going on and trouble tickets to work?
      Are you able to be on call?
      describe a situation in which you did not have all the facts or knowledge to complete a task/install, but were asked to complete it anyway?
      describe a situation in which you were confronted with an angry customer, what steps did you take to calm them down or resolve the conflict?
      Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no room for negotiations. you either take it or leave it.

Website Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saginaw, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at XO Communications (Saginaw, MI) in December 2008.

Interview

I was interviewed by two employees of XO, both were very professional and also very friendly. The impression of the work environment there was extremely favorable. The interview was difficult in a good way - they asked questions to make sure I knew the area I claimed experience in. There was an oral test as well as a written test, wherein they asked me to point out errors in code examples, or to write new code. In the end I did not receive the job, as I did not know a programming language necessary for the position, but I actually enjoyed the interview, and if I get the chance to apply there again, I will do so.

Interview Questions

• Please point out the coding errors or bugs in this SQL example.   1 Answer

Strategic Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at XO Communications (Seattle, WA) in January 2013.

Interview

1. HR calls you and ask basic experience questions and if matches with requirement then setup the interview with Hiring manager.
    2. Hiring managers interviews and then one last phone interview with Director and thats it.

Interview Questions

• 1. Companies you work for ( Telecom and Data companies)
      2. Network knowledge - topology ( basic)
      3. companies you sold to in past.
      4. would you be able to sell to your clients from past companies.
      Answer Question

NOC Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at XO Communications (Saint Louis, MO) in June 2014.

Interview

Phone interview followed by a face to face then a tour ending with a job offer. Mostly informal but the tour was nice and insightful, small NOC with few techs was easier to slide in and start working..

Project Manager III Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at XO Communications in July 2016.

Interview

I applied online via XO's company website. The HR rep responded within 2 days and conducted a phone interview. The next day she scheduled an additional phone interview with the direct manager because she was located in a different city. The total process from application to final interview took 4 days.

Interview Questions

• How do you handle learning new information? What is your process for project organization?   Answer Question

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at XO Communications (Chicago, IL) in April 2012.

Interview

Initial interview with direct manager as well as second round of interviews with other key players within the division. Very thorough and friendly. They were very down-to-earth and thorough in their interview questions. It did not feel like a grilling session but more of a test on previous work experience and personality. Especially within the B2B space and if I was the right person for the company.

Interview Questions

• What is one challenge you've had to overcome in a previous role, professionally? Please elaborate on the challenge, how you overcame it, and how you think that would carry over into helping you in this role?   1 Answer

Project Manager IV Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at XO Communications.

Interview

I first had a phone interview with the hiring manager that lasted 30 minutes. I made it to the second interview. I received an email for an interview at 8pm at night. The interview was for 10am the next morning. The interview lasted 2 hours. I interviewed with 2 employees for about an hour and a half then I had an interview with the manager. No one from HR or XO bothered to call me afterwards to provide any feed back. Nothing, never knew if I got the job or not, never even RECIEVED an email thanking me for interviewing. Extremely inconsiderate.

Interview Questions

• How do you handle stress? How do you manage competing priorities?   1 Answer