XO Group Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.7

1. Featured Interview

Account Strategist Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at XO Group (New York, NY).

Interview

Met with team manager, assistant and senior employee. Interview process was pretty simple. I spoke on the phone once with the team manager, and went to the office once to met in person with the team listed above.

Interview Questions

• Standard questions about dealing with difficult personalities and how you manage your time   Answer Question

Associate Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at XO Group (New York, NY) in August 2017.

Interview

Met with the recruiter for an initial phone screening and then the hiring manager a few days later. Interview process was pretty simple, but I found the interviewing experience to be kind of unprofessional. A week goes by and I hear nothing, so I email the recruiter and I get no response. I had to email multiple recruiters just to get a response. Irrespective of whether I made it through or not to the next round, I would have liked some feedback and at least a response back from the company.

Interview Questions

• Describe what is happening when you enter a URL in an address bar?
      What would you say to an advertiser who whats their advertisement in the header?
      What are the must have skills of a product manager?
      Describe a good test and a bad test?   Answer Question

Office Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at XO Group in July 2017.

Interview

I had a phone interview with 2 recruiters. Interviewer asked me to let them know if I have any solid job opportunities within the next week or so. Received an e-mail the next day with a date and time they wanted to interview me in there NYC office. Seemed odd because most recruiters would schedule an interview that works best for the candidate and recruiter. I changed my schedule to accommodate them. Arrived at the interview to find out that the recruiter was out of the office. Interviewed with another recruiter and three additional people. Interview was standard they asked me prepared questions off a sheet of a paper. I was told I would hear back from them at the end of the week. I did not hear back from them at all. I contacted the recruiter at the end of the 2nd week to follow up on the interview. She e-mailed me back the next day telling me that they are going with candidates who's skills fit the role more closely. Very same day the job was posted again.

Interview Questions

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at XO Group.

Interview

Whiteboarding mostly. I was asked a few questions here and there about architecture and some syntax and other coding questions. However mostly I was asked to write or draw on the Whiteboard whatever the answer to the interviewer's questions. I only had two interviews, one phone and the other face to face.

Interview Questions

• The standard architecture of the .NET environment and how it correlates to each piece of the environment. It was general and open-ended rather than a hard and straight Q/A. Interview was very conversational, overall.   Answer Question

User Experience Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at XO Group (New York, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

Phone screen with internal recruiter. Video interview with Director. Very upbeat and energetic. Call lasted 1 hour with a discussion about the company, the role and the future. Spoke to process, project and skills. Very promising interview finished off with talk about doing a small design test and presenting in-house. After a followup email to internal recruiter, never heard back.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at XO Group (New York, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

Informal meeting over a cup of coffee, discussed design philosophy, asked about current role and what i was looking for in a new position. Discussed the current state XO Group and the methodologies and techniques used to execute quick and effective developments.

Billing Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at XO Group in September 2016.

Interview

Straight to the point, the company is oversold on what is to expect! The managers were friendly but hard to read! Of the two people interviewing, the majority of the interview was completed by one person. The questions seemed very generic.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Interview

took long between phone screen and onsite. recruiter contacted me and took a while to set up a time to speak. after speaking took a week to hear about next steps. next step was a google hangout then onsite

Application

Interview

A couple phone calls and emails that culminated in a full loop onsite introduction and review.

There was an offer made, but at a very low rate for the position. The internal recruiter claimed to be negotiable on the offer, but after initial discussion the offer was rescinded. Later I learned that they had put the exact same offer on the table to a much more junior designer for a less senior role, who also had a eerily similar interview experience. The company seems to have had a good amount of trouble bringing people on for the product team. I can see why that's the case now.

If the company can't get proper buy in for a talented group of designers, then they may be left with a team of those who can't elevate their standards of work.

Beware the company that isn't properly competitive.

Interview Questions

• Be prepared to discuss a working whiteboard challenge with them.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at XO Group (New York, NY) in July 2016.

Interview

A recruiter reached out to me and after a phone screening, I came in for an onsite interview. I met with the Director of Product Design, a Product Manager, two Product Designers, and the Executive Director of Product. I worked in a similar guild/matrix org structure at my previous company, so I was asked a lot of questions about process, specifically design collaboration with engineers and PMs. There was also a portfolio review and a whiteboarding session.

I was asked to come in for a second onsite with a VP of Product and another Product Manager. The conversation was centered on how his team at The Knot works and a session around the business and user challenges they aimed to solve.

After this second onsite, I spoke with the EVP of Product on the phone about product vision and I had a follow up call with the Director of Product Design about the org's design process in more detail.

Overall, the interview process took a little over 2 weeks. I was very impressed with the executive team. They are dedicated to solving the right business/user problems and building an exceptional product team.

I noticed on Glassdoor that a candidate who applied for another Senior Product Designer position mentioned their initial offer was very low. Not sure why there's a disparity, but my initial offer was certainly competitive with similar opportunities I was considering at the time.

Interview Questions

• They asked me to walk through a design sprint I helped lead for a project at my last company.   Answer Question