Xcel Energy Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Xcel Energy Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Xcel Energy

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Xcel Energy (Minneapolis, MN) in June 2016.

Interview

I applied for the exact position which I have performed for this company for many years, so I am clearly qualified and would be a good candidate. Admittedly I have left and returned to the group a couple of times in the memory of anyone still working there. I left the group once to take another job within Xcel toward a career change, but had to return when a company merger sent my job to another state, and another time to start a consulting business which allowed me to save money for my kids' college expenses. I re-joined some years later as a supervisor but found I could not sleep at night due to the stress of this role, and had to leave the company again, but not until after agreeing to continue this role under very difficult circumstances for 6 months. Then finally this year I re-applied for a lesser position (non-supervisory). However, this last interview I had with them tells me that this no longer a company I want to be associated with.

The posting was up for about a month before I applied, and then after I applied it was six weeks before I was contacted for a phone interview. The manager (whom I had only spoken to on the phone several times related to some other related work I had done for the group) called at the appointed interview time. After asking me the ridiculous question I describe below, he immediately started grilling me about my history with leaving the group. He admitted he had ho problem with my technical abilities. It was clear to me that a certain person within that group was angry with me for leaving the group and (for many years apparently), now that he/she has finally become comfortable in the lead role, could only focus on anger with me rather than on how I could support them in the future.

The manager then unexpectedly told me that he would have the recruiter bring me in for an interview. This never happened. I did not have his number to call, but I did have the recruiter's, since she sent me several pleasant emails telling me to contact her with any questions she could help me with. So after waiting several weeks, I called her and left a message letting her know that he indicated I would receive a site interview, and questioning whether I was still under consideration given that I hadn't heard anything. I also sent an email just in case. Neither of these contacts were returned.

The whole process it seems was quite simply an opportunity to vent anger at me for having a career and to try to embarrass me, and make me suffer by wasting time in my job search. The manager clearly has some power and anger issues, so I am glad that I will not have to work for him in the future. The fact that the recruiter did not reply to my contacts at all, to even tell me that I was no longer being considered, was just weird and is not consistent with the company that I thought Xcel was.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Xcel Energy

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Xcel Energy (Denver, CO) in March 2013.

Interview

Brief phone interview with a human resources rep, then in-person interview with manager and another employee. Interview consisted of all behavioral and situational questions and was pretty relaxed. No technical questions. It was pretty much just a discussion so they could get to know me and vice versa.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation when you had to work through a difficult problem with a coworker.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Xcel Energy (Minneapolis, MN) in January 2011.

Interview

Very Professional from the beginning. On the day of interview manager called me up spoke with me, was casual, then interviewed by two engineers, they said they will follow up. Basic electrical engineering questions and some related to power. Just brushed up my Power 1 and Power 2 notes for the interview. Nice company environment and seemed like a good place to work

Interview Questions

• Basics of power analysis, circuit theory, some Emag questions just basic understanding, rest was logistics like when I could join etc.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Xcel Energy (Saint Paul, MN) in April 2015.

Interview

Interview was very relaxed. I was asked around 10 pretty standard questions. He spent a lot of time telling me the different types of work that i would be doing while i was there. I believe he had a previous intern who didn't work out, and wanted to make sure that i knew enough about the position before i took it.

Interview Questions

• When was a time you helped a fellow employee at a past job.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Xcel Energy (Dallas, TX) in January 2016.

Interview

Applied online and at job fair, went for interview a month later, recieved a rejection email about 4 months. Interview was with a senior engineer and a entry-level engineer. 20 minutes long, several basic star questions

Interview Questions

• Describe a problem you encountered and the tools you used to solve it.   Answer Question