Xcel Energy Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 16, 2016

3.2

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Xcel Energy (Denver, CO) in September 2016.

Interview

Applied with the help of a Recruiter. Process was simple and straightforward. I had an on site interview with the hiring manager and two other members of the team. Took about one hour. Were all very nice and had down to earth questions about how I would react to certain situations the position might encounter.

Interview Questions

• General questions about background and how it would apply to the open position.   Answer Question

Regulatory Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Xcel Energy (Denver, CO).

Interview

It took several weeks for the company to begin interviews after the job closed. However, once HR contacted me for a very brief (easy) phone screen to 1.) see if I was still interested since it had been some time, and 2.) feel me out for salary requirements. The same day of the phone screen I had an interview scheduled within about 3 business days. My interview was with department manager and one team member. Interviewers were very professional and pleasant. Interview was same day as this survey so no job offer.

Interview Questions

• The questions were very straight forward STAR formal questions. Describe a time when you had to work with a project team, what was the project and what was the outcome? Describe a time when something needed immediate action and how did you respond? What was the outcome? What is demand side mapping? What is load planning? Rate your knowledge of energy efficiency. Rate your knowledge of renewable energy.   1 Answer

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Xcel Energy (Minneapolis, MN) in June 2016.

Interview

I applied for the exact position which I have performed for this company for many years, so I am clearly qualified and would be a good candidate. Admittedly I have left and returned to the group a couple of times in the memory of anyone still working there. I left the group once to take another job within Xcel toward a career change, but had to return when a company merger sent my job to another state, and another time to start a consulting business which allowed me to save money for my kids' college expenses. I re-joined some years later as a supervisor but found I could not sleep at night due to the stress of this role, and had to leave the company again, but not until after agreeing to continue this role under very difficult circumstances for 6 months. Then finally this year I re-applied for a lesser position (non-supervisory). However, this last interview I had with them tells me that this no longer a company I want to be associated with.

The posting was up for about a month before I applied, and then after I applied it was six weeks before I was contacted for a phone interview. The manager (whom I had only spoken to on the phone several times related to some other related work I had done for the group) called at the appointed interview time. After asking me the ridiculous question I describe below, he immediately started grilling me about my history with leaving the group. He admitted he had ho problem with my technical abilities. It was clear to me that a certain person within that group was angry with me for leaving the group and (for many years apparently), now that he/she has finally become comfortable in the lead role, could only focus on anger with me rather than on how I could support them in the future.

The manager then unexpectedly told me that he would have the recruiter bring me in for an interview. This never happened. I did not have his number to call, but I did have the recruiter's, since she sent me several pleasant emails telling me to contact her with any questions she could help me with. So after waiting several weeks, I called her and left a message letting her know that he indicated I would receive a site interview, and questioning whether I was still under consideration given that I hadn't heard anything. I also sent an email just in case. Neither of these contacts were returned.

The whole process it seems was quite simply an opportunity to vent anger at me for having a career and to try to embarrass me, and make me suffer by wasting time in my job search. The manager clearly has some power and anger issues, so I am glad that I will not have to work for him in the future. The fact that the recruiter did not reply to my contacts at all, to even tell me that I was no longer being considered, was just weird and is not consistent with the company that I thought Xcel was.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Xcel Energy (Denver, CO) in February 2016.

Interview

Applied online. Received a phone call for an interview. Had the interview in one of the managers office with another person who was going to also be working on that specific project.

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Xcel Energy (Dallas, TX) in January 2016.

Interview

Applied online and at job fair, went for interview a month later, recieved a rejection email about 4 months. Interview was with a senior engineer and a entry-level engineer. 20 minutes long, several basic star questions

Interview Questions

• Describe a problem you encountered and the tools you used to solve it.   Answer Question

Project Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Xcel Energy (Denver, CO) in October 2015.

Interview

The interviewer was very late and seemed unprepared for meeting me. Most of the interview consisted of him scanning my resume which he had obviously never bothered to look at before the interview.

Compensation Analyst II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Xcel Energy (Minneapolis, MN) in June 2015.

Interview

Standard interview - said they'd call back to let me know if I'd been selected for a second round. Never heard from them again. No reply to emails requesting information. Very RUDE.

Interview Questions

• Standard interview questions - why do you want to leave, customer service experience, how to handle differing opinions between policy and hiring manager on compensation levels.   Answer Question

Supervisor II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Xcel Energy (Denver, CO) in June 2015.

Interview

They now have an assessment test that is bad. 10+ years experience in my career with them and it didn't matter. If you fail the test, you don't get an interview. The test is bad. I finished my bachelors degree while working full time with a grade point average of 4.0. The test rated me as unmotivated. It tests don't work.

Interview Questions

• The interview method used is STAR   1 Answer

Senior Rotating Equipment Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Xcel Energy in February 2015.

Interview

Strictly procedural. Nothing outside the box. These guys followed the script below and never deviated. Nothing personal was asked. It was a genuine STAR test.

It's a long process just getting the interview, then it was several weeks or more to learn of the decision. I think if you walked in and graded close to 9 on all your questions, they might warm up to you and take you to lunch or something. Probably would hear back sooner. I was likely below 3 on all the questions. They were just trying to finish so they could get me out the door.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your knowledge of rotating equipment. Give examples of hands-on experience in the troubleshooting, testing, operating, and maintenance.

What is your experience in vibration analysis and balancing?

What is your experience in vibration analysis and balancing of turbine generators?
      What would it take to learn turbine balancing?

Give me an example of one of your most challenging technical assignments. What was the assignment, why was this a challenge, what did you do, how did it turn out?

Give me an example of a time when you advised a colleague on a technical matter. What was the situation? Was he/she able to apply the information to solve the problem?

Give an example of when you had a limited amount of time to complete a project or assignment. What was the situation, what you did to meet the timeframes, and what were the results?

Give me an example of how you keep others informed of issues, reoccurring problems, or when you've made suggestions for improvement.

We have technical experts in our department with areas of expertise in steam turbines, combustion turbines, controls, emissions, electrical, protective relays, and boilers. Do you have any expertise in any of these areas?

All responses are written down by the interviewer(s) and then an overall grade is given ranging from (1) not very effective to (9) extremely effective.
      Answer Question

Project Controls Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Xcel Energy in July 2014.

Interview

The interview process was two part, an initial phone interview, then a face to face meeting. During the phone interview I was asked situational questions. I didn't realize companies still used this process as it is not the best way to gather background information. To my surprise, the face to face meeting was just more situational questions.

Interview Questions

• Situational questions are not difficult, they just require some thought   Answer Question