Xcel Energy Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 13, 2017

2.9

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Xcel Energy (Minneapolis, MN) in June 2016.

Interview

I applied for the exact position which I have performed for this company for many years, so I am clearly qualified and would be a good candidate. Admittedly I have left and returned to the group a couple of times in the memory of anyone still working there. I left the group once to take another job within Xcel toward a career change, but had to return when a company merger sent my job to another state, and another time to start a consulting business which allowed me to save money for my kids' college expenses. I re-joined some years later as a supervisor but found I could not sleep at night due to the stress of this role, and had to leave the company again, but not until after agreeing to continue this role under very difficult circumstances for 6 months. Then finally this year I re-applied for a lesser position (non-supervisory). However, this last interview I had with them tells me that this no longer a company I want to be associated with.

The posting was up for about a month before I applied, and then after I applied it was six weeks before I was contacted for a phone interview. The manager (whom I had only spoken to on the phone several times related to some other related work I had done for the group) called at the appointed interview time. After asking me the ridiculous question I describe below, he immediately started grilling me about my history with leaving the group. He admitted he had ho problem with my technical abilities. It was clear to me that a certain person within that group was angry with me for leaving the group and (for many years apparently), now that he/she has finally become comfortable in the lead role, could only focus on anger with me rather than on how I could support them in the future.

The manager then unexpectedly told me that he would have the recruiter bring me in for an interview. This never happened. I did not have his number to call, but I did have the recruiter's, since she sent me several pleasant emails telling me to contact her with any questions she could help me with. So after waiting several weeks, I called her and left a message letting her know that he indicated I would receive a site interview, and questioning whether I was still under consideration given that I hadn't heard anything. I also sent an email just in case. Neither of these contacts were returned.

The whole process it seems was quite simply an opportunity to vent anger at me for having a career and to try to embarrass me, and make me suffer by wasting time in my job search. The manager clearly has some power and anger issues, so I am glad that I will not have to work for him in the future. The fact that the recruiter did not reply to my contacts at all, to even tell me that I was no longer being considered, was just weird and is not consistent with the company that I thought Xcel was.

Senior Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Xcel Energy (Denver, CO) in June 2016.

Interview

This was a very professional interview process. It moved very quickly and there was clear flexibility and willingness to accommodate schedules. Interviewers were very knowledgeable and their field and did a good job of conveying where the position fit within the organization. This was a contract position and they did a good job of explaining how the contracting process worked.

Interview Questions

• What skills and strengths do you think that you bring to this position?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Xcel Energy (Denver, CO) in February 2016.

Interview

Applied online. Received a phone call for an interview. Had the interview in one of the managers office with another person who was going to also be working on that specific project.

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Xcel Energy (Dallas, TX) in January 2016.

Interview

Applied online and at job fair, went for interview a month later, recieved a rejection email about 4 months. Interview was with a senior engineer and a entry-level engineer. 20 minutes long, several basic star questions

Interview Questions

• Describe a problem you encountered and the tools you used to solve it.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Xcel Energy in November 2015.

Interview

After applying online I was contacted for an in person interview. I had an interview with the hiring manager and another senior engineering.

Unfortunately this was over a year ago. I do not remember interview questions specifically but I remember it being very standard questions for interns (e.g. explain a project you had. How did you struggle? etc.)

Interview Questions

• Tell us about your programming experience?
      ...
      What specifically do you know?   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Xcel Energy.

Interview

The questions were typically about my resume and included a lot of behavioral HR questions i.e., tell me about a situation of conflict with your boss..etc. Other questions were about my experience and skills.

Senior Accountant Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Xcel Energy in October 2015.

Interview

Interview through a recruiter. Hour long meeting with three people from team I would be working with. Initial talk went over market knowledge but mostly simple questions. Other questions were fairly behavioral. Drew on past experience a lot and how it would work in their system.

Interview Questions

• Name an experience when you had to use Excel to solve a problem.   1 Answer

Project Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Xcel Energy (Denver, CO) in October 2015.

Interview

The interviewer was very late and seemed unprepared for meeting me. Most of the interview consisted of him scanning my resume which he had obviously never bothered to look at before the interview.

Communications Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Xcel Energy (Minneapolis, MN) in October 2015.

Interview

Very easy and relational interview. They wanted to know how I applied my experience to life and what type of personality I had. The rest they could teach me. It was one on one in a giant room and there was one other interview going on in the same room but far away, so we couldn't hear them. For the most part it felt very personal and the interviewer was very kind and genuine.

Interview Questions

• Give me a time you turned a difficult situation into a positive.   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Xcel Energy in August 2015.

Interview

Had an over the phone interview 2-3 weeks after applying online that had standard interview questions then a in person interview within a week that showed the kind of work I would be doing. No questions during in person interview.