Xcel Energy Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Xcel Energy Interview Questions

Interviews at Xcel Energy

2.9

Substation Engineer Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Xcel Energy in April 2015.

Interview

Normal star format questions! I had three engineers interviewing me for the position! They were friendly and nice! I was hoping for a tour in their facility that didn't happen. They were answering all questions and made it simpler for me.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to work with a different team what was the project and what was the outcome?
      Describe a time you faced a challenge in your project? How did you resolve the problem and what was the outcome? Are you a big picture person or more detail oriented? What's your biggest strength and weakness   Answer Question

Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Xcel Energy (Minneapolis, MN) in April 2011.

Interview

Face to face interview with an HR rep and hiring manager that was rather impromptu as it was scheduled not more than 30 minutes prior to interview time. Both were at ease and easy enough to relate to. Specific questions were skill and knowledge based which was prudent as the position is not common in other industries within the US and was rather young in the industry at the time. Clothing was informal as of the short notification prior to the interview. The hiring manager could be a tough read at times, although overall not unpleasant.

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Xcel Energy (Minneapolis, MN) in June 2016.

Interview

I applied for the exact position which I have performed for this company for many years, so I am clearly qualified and would be a good candidate. Admittedly I have left and returned to the group a couple of times in the memory of anyone still working there. I left the group once to take another job within Xcel toward a career change, but had to return when a company merger sent my job to another state, and another time to start a consulting business which allowed me to save money for my kids' college expenses. I re-joined some years later as a supervisor but found I could not sleep at night due to the stress of this role, and had to leave the company again, but not until after agreeing to continue this role under very difficult circumstances for 6 months. Then finally this year I re-applied for a lesser position (non-supervisory). However, this last interview I had with them tells me that this no longer a company I want to be associated with.

The posting was up for about a month before I applied, and then after I applied it was six weeks before I was contacted for a phone interview. The manager (whom I had only spoken to on the phone several times related to some other related work I had done for the group) called at the appointed interview time. After asking me the ridiculous question I describe below, he immediately started grilling me about my history with leaving the group. He admitted he had ho problem with my technical abilities. It was clear to me that a certain person within that group was angry with me for leaving the group and (for many years apparently), now that he/she has finally become comfortable in the lead role, could only focus on anger with me rather than on how I could support them in the future.

The manager then unexpectedly told me that he would have the recruiter bring me in for an interview. This never happened. I did not have his number to call, but I did have the recruiter's, since she sent me several pleasant emails telling me to contact her with any questions she could help me with. So after waiting several weeks, I called her and left a message letting her know that he indicated I would receive a site interview, and questioning whether I was still under consideration given that I hadn't heard anything. I also sent an email just in case. Neither of these contacts were returned.

The whole process it seems was quite simply an opportunity to vent anger at me for having a career and to try to embarrass me, and make me suffer by wasting time in my job search. The manager clearly has some power and anger issues, so I am glad that I will not have to work for him in the future. The fact that the recruiter did not reply to my contacts at all, to even tell me that I was no longer being considered, was just weird and is not consistent with the company that I thought Xcel was.

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Xcel Energy (Denver, CO) in March 2013.

Interview

Brief phone interview with a human resources rep, then in-person interview with manager and another employee. Interview consisted of all behavioral and situational questions and was pretty relaxed. No technical questions. It was pretty much just a discussion so they could get to know me and vice versa.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation when you had to work through a difficult problem with a coworker.   Answer Question

Staff Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Xcel Energy (Saint Paul, MN) in August 2016.

Interview

I applied in May 2016 for a Staff Engineer Position and was contacted by the hiring manager in late June. A phone interview was conducted a week later and the hiring manager spent about 20 minutes providing information about the position and his management style followed by walking through my resume and answering few questions about myself. The hiring manager contacted me a few weeks later to set up an in person interview. An in person interview was conducted in late July with hiring manager, 2 SR engineers and an associate engineer. The in person interview last roughly an hour and consisted of questions from a question book pre-assembled for the interview. Hr contacted me to make the offer discuss the benefits a few weeks after the interview.

Interview Questions

• Typical behavioral such as please describe a time when you have...or how would you handle such and such an issue. No technical questions.   Answer Question

Staff Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Xcel Energy (Denver, CO) in June 2018.

Interview

Filled out the online application and attached my resume. I got an email two weeks later and was invited to an in-person interview at the Denver office. It was a three person panel that interviewed me so i was even more nervous. Initially the manager explained more about the division and the position. Then the interview questions came. About 10 behavioral STAR questions. I found the questions difficult, but i struggle immensely with interviews.

Interview Questions

• Walk us through your experience as it relates to this position.
      Tell us about a time you recently gave a talk or presentation to a group of people.   Answer Question
    • What is your best day at work? Worst day at work?   Answer Question
    • Explain a time you helped a coworker complete a project.   Answer Question
    • Why would you like to work at this company?   Answer Question
    • What was one of your most challenging technical assignments? What did you do, how did you approach it, and what was the result?   Answer Question
    • How do you see your career progressing at this company?   Answer Question

Regulatory Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Xcel Energy in December 2013.

Interview

There were two interviewers who took turns asking questions. They were friendly and put me at ease. There was no time left at the end for my questions. Questions were behavioural mostly - tell me about a time when you ...

Regulatory Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Xcel Energy (Denver, CO).

Interview

It took several weeks for the company to begin interviews after the job closed. However, once HR contacted me for a very brief (easy) phone screen to 1.) see if I was still interested since it had been some time, and 2.) feel me out for salary requirements. The same day of the phone screen I had an interview scheduled within about 3 business days. My interview was with department manager and one team member. Interviewers were very professional and pleasant. Interview was same day as this survey so no job offer.

Interview Questions

• The questions were very straight forward STAR formal questions. Describe a time when you had to work with a project team, what was the project and what was the outcome? Describe a time when something needed immediate action and how did you respond? What was the outcome? What is demand side mapping? What is load planning? Rate your knowledge of energy efficiency. Rate your knowledge of renewable energy.   1 Answer

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Xcel Energy (Minneapolis, MN) in November 2013.

Interview

Started with phone interview, first interview (panel) then second interview (panel again). Both first and second interview seemed to have asked the same behavioral questions - waste of time. The second panel should have read over the initial responses and then determined from there appropriate questions to ask. This could have provided a better, more well-rounded understanding of individual's strengths.

Interview Questions

• The first question was about a time I disagreed with something and what I did to overcome it. I explained using the STAR technique and was then told "maybe you don't understand the question. Are you aware of the STAR technique?" Quite taken aback by each of the interviewers behaviors, rather curt, I explained again how I handled the situation as was told "maybe we should just move on to the second question." Best advice I can give to this team of individuals who choose to be part of the hiring process is to be aware of a person's strengths in their ability to overcome situations without having to be negative. Don't assume (and then sneer at the interviewee) thinking they answered the question wrong. I am now quite pleased I was not called back after the second interview after I experienced those behaviors from the individuals this organization places in leadership positions.

I would however give praises to the panel of interviewers I met for the first round as they were highly professional and well in tuned to the process. It was unfortunate to see the second round of interviewers be less than professional.   1 Answer

Electrical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Xcel Energy (Minneapolis, MN) in November 2017.

Interview

Had a 30 minutes interview, where I was asked some technical questions that I was required to know for the position that I was applying for. There were 3 people who took my interview with one of them being the EE supervisor.