Xcel Energy Interview Questions in Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN | Glassdoor

2.8

26 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Staff Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Xcel Energy (Saint Paul, MN) in August 2016.

Interview

I applied in May 2016 for a Staff Engineer Position and was contacted by the hiring manager in late June. A phone interview was conducted a week later and the hiring manager spent about 20 minutes providing information about the position and his management style followed by walking through my resume and answering few questions about myself. The hiring manager contacted me a few weeks later to set up an in person interview. An in person interview was conducted in late July with hiring manager, 2 SR engineers and an associate engineer. The in person interview last roughly an hour and consisted of questions from a question book pre-assembled for the interview. Hr contacted me to make the offer discuss the benefits a few weeks after the interview.

Interview Questions

• Typical behavioral such as please describe a time when you have...or how would you handle such and such an issue. No technical questions.   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Xcel Energy (Minneapolis, MN) in June 2016.

Interview

I applied for the exact position which I have performed for this company for many years, so I am clearly qualified and would be a good candidate. Admittedly I have left and returned to the group a couple of times in the memory of anyone still working there. I left the group once to take another job within Xcel toward a career change, but had to return when a company merger sent my job to another state, and another time to start a consulting business which allowed me to save money for my kids' college expenses. I re-joined some years later as a supervisor but found I could not sleep at night due to the stress of this role, and had to leave the company again, but not until after agreeing to continue this role under very difficult circumstances for 6 months. Then finally this year I re-applied for a lesser position (non-supervisory). However, this last interview I had with them tells me that this no longer a company I want to be associated with.

The posting was up for about a month before I applied, and then after I applied it was six weeks before I was contacted for a phone interview. The manager (whom I had only spoken to on the phone several times related to some other related work I had done for the group) called at the appointed interview time. After asking me the ridiculous question I describe below, he immediately started grilling me about my history with leaving the group. He admitted he had ho problem with my technical abilities. It was clear to me that a certain person within that group was angry with me for leaving the group and (for many years apparently), now that he/she has finally become comfortable in the lead role, could only focus on anger with me rather than on how I could support them in the future.

The manager then unexpectedly told me that he would have the recruiter bring me in for an interview. This never happened. I did not have his number to call, but I did have the recruiter's, since she sent me several pleasant emails telling me to contact her with any questions she could help me with. So after waiting several weeks, I called her and left a message letting her know that he indicated I would receive a site interview, and questioning whether I was still under consideration given that I hadn't heard anything. I also sent an email just in case. Neither of these contacts were returned.

The whole process it seems was quite simply an opportunity to vent anger at me for having a career and to try to embarrass me, and make me suffer by wasting time in my job search. The manager clearly has some power and anger issues, so I am glad that I will not have to work for him in the future. The fact that the recruiter did not reply to my contacts at all, to even tell me that I was no longer being considered, was just weird and is not consistent with the company that I thought Xcel was.

Communications Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Xcel Energy (Minneapolis, MN) in October 2015.

Interview

Very easy and relational interview. They wanted to know how I applied my experience to life and what type of personality I had. The rest they could teach me. It was one on one in a giant room and there was one other interview going on in the same room but far away, so we couldn't hear them. For the most part it felt very personal and the interviewer was very kind and genuine.

Interview Questions

• Give me a time you turned a difficult situation into a positive.   1 Answer

Compensation Analyst II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Xcel Energy (Minneapolis, MN) in June 2015.

Interview

Standard interview - said they'd call back to let me know if I'd been selected for a second round. Never heard from them again. No reply to emails requesting information. Very RUDE.

Interview Questions

• Standard interview questions - why do you want to leave, customer service experience, how to handle differing opinions between policy and hiring manager on compensation levels.   Answer Question

Project Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Xcel Energy (Minneapolis, MN) in June 2015.

Interview

Behavioral interview process - easy questions like how do you manage time. How do you project cost esimates,. What did you do to control scheduling, etc. Where do you see yourself in the next 5 years. How would you rate yourself n MS products, etc..

Corporate Giving Business Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Xcel Energy (Minneapolis, MN) in May 2015.

Interview

I had one phone interview and one in person interview. I was interviewed by two people and asked a lot of questions on how I work on a team, how I work on my own, and questions involving sales and customer service. It was probably the most questions I've ever been asked at an interview.

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Xcel Energy (Saint Paul, MN) in April 2015.

Interview

Interview was very relaxed. I was asked around 10 pretty standard questions. He spent a lot of time telling me the different types of work that i would be doing while i was there. I believe he had a previous intern who didn't work out, and wanted to make sure that i knew enough about the position before i took it.

Interview Questions

• When was a time you helped a fellow employee at a past job.   Answer Question

Senior Internal Auditor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Xcel Energy (Minneapolis, MN) in March 2015.

Interview

If you are referred by an employee then the interview will consist of a phone call with basic questions about year in school, major, and GPA. The recruiter was very friendly and made the interview more of a conversation than an interrogation. Be honest about where you would like to work and they will do their best to find a good fit for the company and yourself.

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Xcel Energy (Minneapolis, MN) in November 2014.

Interview

In person interview held in the office location. Was done in person both on site as well as with others over a virtual conference line. I had a white board available to draw and detail out the specific requirements design and solutions in the room. There is no technology available during the interview so only paper printed documents can be displayed due to security policy.

Interview Questions

• Describe examples of how you have collaborated with business partners during project implementations? How have you received and documented requirements and feedback?   Answer Question

Customer Contact Center Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roseville, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Xcel Energy (Roseville, MN) in February 2014.

Interview

I had subscribed to Xcel Energy's automated emails for jobs that met my search criteria and received an email regarding the Customer Contact Center position. I applied online and then received an email inviting me to take an online test.

The test had two parts. The first was a multiple choice test that seemed to measure personality, work styles and some questions asking basically the same thing, but worded differently in order to check for inaccuracy.

The second test was an interactive call center skills test in which they presented audio dialogs of mock calls and then the applicant enters information into the mock data entry screen. There were also a few options to select certain responses to the caller's inquiries. The second test seemed to measure typing speed and accuracy, one's learning curve and some basic customer service skills like suggestive selling.

Upon completing the online test I immediately received an invitation to schedule an interview via their online scheduling calendar. Despite numerous attempts to schedule an interview time, the calendar never presented any possible interview times. As a result, I contacted the email address provided and arranged a time via email.

I was pleased to get an interview and pondered how nice it would be to start at the bottom of a Fortune 500 company to be able to prove myself and then work my way up the ladder. But the more I learned about their customer contact position, the more bleak any future at Xcel energy seemed...

I took a bus to the interview at their call center in Roseville, MN. The closest bus to the office (at least from my route) was about a mile away. That's not such a bad walk unless it's snowing, or unbearably cold (as can be the case here in Minnesota).

The call center is not located in their main Minneapolis office. It's in a non-descript business park that could be in anywhere (in the middle of nowhere) USA. There were no stores or eateries anywhere in sight, making me wonder what one does there for meals if they don't pack one.

I arrived at the call center and was very impressed by every employee that I met. Everyone was cheerful and welcoming. Definitely the kind of people I'd want to work with. However, I was a little put off by the group interview (there were about five of us on this particular batch of interviews). When an agency does group interviews it gives me the impression that they must have a high turnover rate. The group portion of the interview was informational.

It was in this setting that the presenter bared disappointing news about the position. The job would be part time (28hrs/wk), $10.50/hr and without any medical benefits.I was surprised that a Fortune 500 company would offer so little. However, part timers are allowed to take advantage of the 401K (as if they'd have money to contribute) as well as join the credit union. Though the presenter didn't say that we would never get benefits, the message was clear that we shouldn't get our hopes up.

After the group portion of the interview, we were seated by employees and listened into their calls. The employee with whom I sat was very likable, but it seemed that no one told her who we (the interviewers) were and why we were there. I had to explain it to her. So it seems that communication may not be so good there. After about 15 minutes of listening, I was taken for my individual interview.

It was a short and simple interview - no gotcha' questions.

Several days later, I was offered a position. I received an email with a 10-page attachment for a background check that I needed to print, fill out photocopy and then fax. Being unemployed (and broke), asking me to go somewhere to pay to print, photocopy and fax is asking a lot. I was really turned off by the extensive background check questions (including listing all addresses I've lived in in the past 7 years. They also wanted a copy of a previous pay stub, which I just don't have.

I decided this job isn't for me. It may have worked out for me if the call center were in the main building with the other departments. That would have given me hope of being able to climb up the ladder since I'd be crossing paths with the other employees. But the call center is out in the middle of nowhere, all by itself.

It was so unfortunate that getting an invitation for an interview with a Fortune 500 company turned into a major disappointment.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a time when you received good customer service.   Answer Question

Working in customer service in Xcel energy provides a low wage, low hours, no benefits and little to no hope for advancement. Printing, photocopying and faxing the background check is prohibitively expensive for unemployed job seekers.