YAI National Institute Community Training Specialist Interview Questions | Glassdoor

YAI National Institute Community Training Specialist Interview Questions

3.1

10 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Community Training Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at YAI National Institute.

Interview

Went in for a interview, turns out to be a group interview with five other people. The interview process was fast but the hiring process was slow. Took almost 2 months to hear back from them, just when I was going to give up and look elsewhere they called me back.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if patient A refused to take her medication   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for YAI National Institute

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at YAI National Institute (Brooklyn, NY) in May 2012.

Interview

Applied online. Received a call to come into YAI Headquarters in Manhattan. Received an email a day before, with an application to be filled prior hand. Came into a group interview with other people, some with BA and AA degrees, some with non. Interviewer was very friendly, and she asked us behavioral based questions and our opinions on person with disabilities. She then told us that she will refer us to a Supervisor for position in which she thought we qualified for; that is if she referred us at all. The interviewer steered us to the correct answers and they are basically looking for candidates that will treat their adult population with dignity/respect.

Although I applied to Direct Service Provider, i was referred to a slightly more competitive position. A few days I was called in by a supervisor at one of their day facilities.It was a more detailed interview about my life and opinions of the DD/MR population.Told about the salary and more. After the interview i was invited to a day visit to see how things are conducted on daily basis. There people there have a very good spirit and the population is a lot more friendly and intelligent than you think. After the visit i was called in the office by the supervisor and was given the dreaded "we'll get back to you" after we are done interviewing. Still hoping and praying, for a offer, but I hope i can get at least a non select letter due to the amount of time put in the interview process.

Interview Questions

• How would feel about a DD person getting a driver license?   1 Answer
    • What would you do if a DD person acted out on public transportation?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bayside, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at YAI National Institute (Bayside, NY) in June 2012.

Interview

Nice-people but flakey, drawn-out and inconsiderate hiring process.
    Group interview- was ok but really a waste of time as hiring is site specific, and your there to be weeded out with trick questions.
    1st interview was great the AD was very nice.STAR questions, DD respect questions
    Tour - was ok, but i found that CTS w/ me was basically treating the DD Adults like dumb children. So i didn't get the whole "respect for the DD/MR" mantra YAI has when there is no reality to it
    IDK IF THEYRE BURNT OUT, but most the CTSs there didnt seem to have compassion for the DD population at all.but felt seem like babysitters rather trainers
    2nd was ok-more trick questions, more STAR questions . tour get evaluated
    3rd- HIPPA trick questions, background questions, director came off as cold and unapproachable. felt uneasy the entire interview. felt like i was crossed-out before i spoke and she just interviewed me as a formality.

Interview Questions

• They basically want to know that you considered the DD persons human being with rights.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at YAI National Institute (Brooklyn, NY) in June 2011.

Interview

I applied using YAI's web site and was called in for a group interview on a Saturday. I was also asked to fill out their application form, which was very basic and just asked for my former employers, skills, and availability. When I arrived, I was directed to a large conference room filled with other applicants. We were called in groups of four or five to different rooms for group interviews.

The interviewer first asked us general questions about our attitudes toward developmentally disabled people. The topic then shifted to possible scenarios involving resident conduct at a group home. After that, we were interviewed one-on-one by the same interviewer, who asked me some perfunctory questions about why I wanted the job and what my availability was.

A few days later, a supervisor at one of YAI's day centers in Brooklyn called me in for an interview. The interview was over an hour long and involved multiple questions about my previous work experience, life challenges, attitudes toward the disabled, and personality. It also involved minor roleplaying. In the same interview, I was asked to come back and spend a day working at the day center to see how I performed and how well I fit in.

On the day I came in to work at the center, I was sent to a community volunteer site with one of the employees and a group of developmentally disabled people. The employee reported to the supervisor at the end of the day, and I was called into the supervisor's office and offered a job.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if a resident at a group home refused to take his medication?   1 Answer

Negotiation

The salary and benefits appeared fixed and non-negotiable.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at YAI National Institute (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

A very relaxed group interview where you were to tell the group a bit about yourself. Following a series of questions (mostly about how you would react in certain scenarios), you would then be taken in for a one on one interview where you discuss the position, the benefits, the salary, etc. Then you are told to await a call for a second interview.

Interview Questions

• How would you incorporate technology into the lives of people with ID/DD to help make their lives better?   Answer Question

Community Training Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at YAI National Institute.

Interview

group interview..took about 45 mins in total and then very brief one to one. Asked basic questions like what would you do in this situation and how would you react to the patient if they are being difficult.

Interview Questions

• how would you react to the patient if they are being difficult?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at YAI National Institute (New York, NY) in May 2012.

Interview

In both the group and individual interviews, the interviewer is looking for candidates to have at least a basic level understanding of the population. They will ask a mix of situational and behavioral questions; the "correct" answers always involve respecting the right of the individual to make their own choices as adults unless they, or someone else, is in immediate danger. Even if it's regarding taking prescribed medicine, they always have the right to refuse.

Interview Questions

• Describe to me what it means to have a developmental disability.   1 Answer
    • What would you do if an individual in a residence refuses to take their medication?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Commack, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at YAI National Institute (Commack, NY) in July 2012.

Interview

It's a group interview at first. You'll sit with a large pool of people and answer different types of questions. If you pass this, you'll then sit with the supervisor of that program. If you pass that, you'll then most likely sit with the program director. It's not a difficult process, it's just about being professional and having that passion.

Interview Questions

• Q: What would you do if one of the individuals are screaming and doesn't want to leave the community.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at YAI National Institute (New York, NY) in September 2015.

Interview

A group interview, then a brief one on one interview with a YAI recruiter. During interview you are asked questions in which all must answer individually. Questions are simple and catered to the general mission of the organization, which is to be mindful of their clients as individuals with rights. However, upon conclusion of the interview, was told that I would hear for a second interview within a week, and if not to alert the recruiter, but never heard back. When contacting twice, the recruiter never got back either. Good Luck to everyone else! The YAI appears to be a great place to work if you want to help others, doesn't hurt that they have great benefits too!

Interview Questions

• what would you do if this happened or describe what comes to mind when you hear the word disabilities?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at YAI National Institute (New York, NY) in March 2016.

Interview

Went for a group interview in Queens. The lady scheduled an in-person interview with each of us for the following week at a YAI location. Went to that interview, spent the day shadowing another Community Training Specialist, communicated with the individuals who have disabilities and learning more about YAI. Then in the end, the lady who interviewed me asked me how my day was and what I liked about it. She then indicated that they are still interviewing others and she would get back to me in 1.5-2 weeks. I sent her a thank you note. I did not have her email address so I sent it through postal mail. I did not receive anything within 2 weeks so I called her again to follow-up. She said HR would call me. I waited a few days and HR never called me. Then I emailed an HR recruiter who was at the job fair representing YAI and who told me about the group interview. She never got back to me either. It's been four weeks. Obviously, I did not get the job. But the least they can do is let people know whether they got the job or not. I rather receive a solid rejection than no phone call or response at all. Other than that, it seems like a great place to work in.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for YAI?
      What are is a challenged you faced in your last employment?
      What did you like about your interview day (which was about 5 hours) at YAI?   Answer Question