YJT Solutions Interview Questions | Glassdoor

YJT Solutions Interview Questions

2.9

IT Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at YJT Solutions (Chicago, IL) in January 2017.

Interview

I applied online and few days later I received a response from them for phone interview. The interview was HR interview. All basic questions, about our experience and skills. I was told I will get an update from then in a week. But they didn't inform me anything.

IT Engineering Residency Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at YJT Solutions (Chicago, IL) in August 2016.

Interview

The process took about 4-6 weeks. 2 introductory phone interviews, 1 technical phone interview, 1 face to face interview. A lengthy but organized process, they really took time to get to know you! HR team was very nice and organized and sent regular email updates weekly.

IT Support Interview

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at YJT Solutions.

Interview

Long and drawn out. requirements were not concise across interviewers

They also revealed that they had extreme turn over to "prepare" you for the work place environment. everything screamed hostile and unnecessarily intense.

Interview Questions

YJT Solutions Response

Jul 14, 2016 – CEO

I am sorry that your interviewing experience was so negative. We strongly believe in being fully transparent about what we are looking for, and we don't "recruit." We have open and honest... More

Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at YJT Solutions (Chicago, IL) in July 2016.

Interview

The interview is VERY thorough. It will take 2-4 weeks depending on your schedule and theirs. Some people may see this as a negative but it is to weed out the people that are not qualified skill wise and/or work ethic wise. Working for ANY MSP is a demanding job and they are very up front about this, any other MSP that tells you otherwise is just flat out lying about it.

The trade off is that you will be put on an accelerated track for your IT career as you will learn about many solutions in very little time. I will say that because of the demands of the job and stress it is VERY important that you have people there that actually care about the work they do and the clients. You want to feel like you are working with friends versus co-workers that just want to clock in and leave at the end of the day. This brings us to the culture.

The culture there seems to be very tight knit and the people that are there want to be. It definitely seems like they are an "IT Family" of sorts and this is hard to find. There is a review on here about "a few good men" and that seems to be true after talking to many of the employees and even the CEO. Everyone there was very savvy and friendly that I met.

Their offices are pretty nice and have a nice view of the lake if that matters to you.

The only reason that I declined the job offer is that the timing wasn't right for me as I have a few IT clients that I maintain on the side and they do not allow you to do work for other businesses outside of their company. This is a downside but that is their policy. The benefit is that they do pay well and promote internally rapidly for people that deserve it.

I may end up working for them in the future when the timing is better for me.

Interview Questions

YJT Solutions Response

Aug 3, 2016 – CEO

Thanks for your comments here. We do put a LOT of energy into our interviewing process to avoid any surprises on either side down the road. I consider the interview process successful when the... More

Director IT Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at YJT Solutions (Chicago, IL) in May 2016.

Interview

It is extremely important that the leadership and employees at YJT buy into the company culture (Empathy, Excellence, Execution, Evolution), as this is the key to its success. To find out if you are the right fit, you go through a series of screenings (phone, in-person, online personality and skills assessments). I connected with every person I met during the process - they all showed they were committed to excellence. I am glad they spent the time to go through the entire process with me to make sure I was a good fit. Ultimately, I did not take the position but it was not because of the cultural fit.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time when you were incredibly proud to either put your name on your work or when you truly excelled at something. It could be a work story, a sports story, a school story, or a personal story. Tell us the story – what the situation was, what you did, and how you felt.*   1 Answer

IT Engineer Residency Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at YJT Solutions (Chicago, IL) in February 2016.

Interview

Outside of speaking with the recruiter, from YJT Solutions, I found the interview process to be rather
    impersonal.

To begin, I had to take a couple of online tests before I was offered an in person interview. These were given by Wonderlic. The first consisted of a number of questions and a specific amount of time in which to answer them. Next, you were asked a few questions, which seemed to be a geared towards a psychological perspective.

The in person interview was supposed to consist of meeting with 2 – 3 people. But first, more online tests and questions similar to what was done prior to the interview. These take up about 45 minutes of the interview.

The position I was applying for was for the Engineering Residency program, which as I understood was designed for someone coming right out of college with no experience.

The gentleman that was supposed to interview me at the last minute was not able to, so an alternate was sent in. From my perspective, he really was not prepared for the interview, because he mentioned a few times he could not remember a lot of the standard questions he was supposed to ask.

Some of the questions, not all were something a senior engineer should know, but not necessarily someone who is just about to finish a degree. One question he asked was what is a 169. IP address? Well, after three and a half years of schooling at two good schools, the topic of this IP address never came up.

He asked if I knew what IP Helper was and admitted nobody he interviews knows what it is, another irrelevant question to ask for an entry level position.

I drew the topology of a network I designed for a class assignment and some of the questions he asked about it were out of the scope of the assignment. There were a few strikes against me, since I could not answer them. I am not sure how many graduating students know exactly how a whole data center fails-over to the backup data center and whether that is a piece of knowledge that is required for an entry level position.

He asked why I would create subnets on a network. While the answer I gave was accurate, it was not the answer he was looking for.

So, while there was one person interviewing me, I do not think he was the appropriate choice to conduct the interview. After he was finished, it was his negative opinion that ended the interview.

I have worked for and done business with a number of companies, and am able to get a good sense of the work environment from visual observations. There were a number of light bulbs that were burnt out and behind a window that stretched from floor to ceiling, there were boxes stacked up on the other side of it. While there were other signs, these two stuck out in my mind as an indicator of the company’s attention to detail and how well they value their image.

Overall, there was no questioning during the in person interview to discern my character or the level of passion I have for the career I am embarking on. A lot of very good, successful companies will hire based on character and passion, because you can teach a person IT, but not character or passion.

Jul 14, 2016 – CEO

I am sorry that you came away with this impression of our firm. I couldn't agree with you more about hiring for character and passion and core values. We do interview for those things first; it's... More

Senior Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at YJT Solutions (Chicago, IL) in January 2016.

Interview

I was impressed with the thoroughness of their interview process and frankly would have been concerned if it hadn't been thorough. It started with a phone interview with Tiffany and there was, as others have mentioned, several online questionnaires and a short online IQ test and one slightly longer one onsite later. This didn't really bother me as they didn't take long and weren't terribly difficult. Although, I would say the tests aren't language independent and might pose a challenge to those for whom English is not their first language.

I met with several senior engineers separately on separate occasions and both times we had great discussions which both gave them an idea of my abilities and gave me a good idea of their customer base and the type of technology and equipment in use. The second meeting with their most senior engineer consisted of a lot of standard Q&A about pretty much everything he could think of in terms of networking, virtualization, storage, systems, etc. I've been in this industry for a while now so the questions weren't overly challenging for me. The best advice I could give anyone is to be completely honest. If you don't know something say so and do it in such a manner as to indicate your desire to learn and without excuses or apprehension. Make it clear your someone who is curious, eager to learn, and easy to teach. Nobody wants to train someone whos is put off by being told they are wrong or lacking knowledge in an area.

There was also a short interview with the CEO which I appreciated greatly. I was completely honest about my experience, my intentions, and my drive and for this reason I felt we connected well. I have been working in SMB consulting for years now so i have a very good idea of the crazy workload and constant shifting of roles required in the wonderful world of consulting. If you are looking for a laid back and easy 9 to 5 job then you should probably be applying at a much larger corporation because small businesses like YJT and consultants in general must operate in much more challenging and often unpredictable environments achieving a lot with "a few good men" because they don't have an army to throw at every situation. I let her know that I was on board with that and had no qualms about what it entailed and I meant every word of it. I'd say we hit it off very well and would have talked longer if our schedules had permitted it.

I found them all to be very agreeable and friendly people who were very flexible in working with my difficult schedule. Tiffany was a wonderful resource in providing an answer for every question I could come up with.

Interview Questions

• I was asked a LOT about various topics but then again I was applying for a Senior Engineer role and claiming to know a lot about a broad variety of topics.   1 Answer

Analyst I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at YJT Solutions (Chicago, IL) in November 2015.

Interview

Phone screens, Wonderlic test, in-person 1:1s with several senior Engineers and the CEO if things go well, along with an onsite Wonderlic test.

You are best off being honest at every step of the process. Do not attempt to portray that you know more than you know. You will be speaking with Level III system architects who are honestly just there to get the most accurate assessment of where you're at, so they can fit you into an appropriate role.

They hire based on attitude and willingness to learn. They will get a sense of that just by talking with you for an extended time, so re-emphasizing this throughout the interview won't necessarily do much. Show what you've done in the past that gives the impression that you can jump into a new environment and stay ahead of what's expected of you.

Interview Questions

• What components would you need to build a computer?   Answer Question
    • You have an end user who calls in unable to access an important file 5 minutes before a meeting. What do you do?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I did not attempt to negotiate the offer.

Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at YJT Solutions (Chicago, IL) in October 2015.

Interview

Pretty standard. Met with HR and two different managers. It took about an hour or son. My only compliant is that I came from out of town and they didn't have any parking reimbursement options.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   1 Answer

IT Support Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at YJT Solutions in September 2015.

Interview

Met the recruiter on job fair at the uni. The interview process was actually quite fast paced which is mainly the reason I voted positive. After a 45-min phone session with the recruiter, I was required to do a Wonderlic Quicktest and a Workplace Personality Index assessment. Then, there was a tech screen session on phone with the hiring manager. The tech interview was assembled with all kinds of IT questions including DHCP, DNS, PC station building, RAID and its hardware along with several simulated scenes that require specific troubleshooting procedures and technics.