YMCA After School Counselor Interview Questions | Glassdoor

YMCA After School Counselor Interview Questions

Updated May 16, 2017

2.0

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chapel Hill, NC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at YMCA (Chapel Hill, NC) in August 2016.

Interview

Received an email about coming in for an interview in just a few hours after I applied. It was casual and brief and only lasted 20-30 minutes at most. Asked the basics: tell me about yourself, availability, why do you want to be an After-School Counselor, what do you think would your co-workers and supervisors would say about you (your personality, if you're on time, if you work well with others), etc. My schedule was not going to work for the position but they recommended me to the supervisor of Child Watch and two weeks later and I got an email back asking if I was interested.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to plan an activity and what was the end result?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for YMCA

Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at YMCA (Brooklyn, NY).

Interview

Met with 2 people in small office. Supervisor and then she brought in the group leader. It was formal but not too formal. Made me feel comfortable and wanted to make sure I was a good fit

Interview Questions

• Asked basic questions. What's strengths and weaknesses. Availability. Did I swim. Why do I want the position   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at YMCA (Charlotte, NC) in August 2015.

Interview

Usually they ask for Group interviews where they ask questions to the whole. Personally, I went in to the adviser and she offered to meet with me to get an in-person interview, and she asked a few questions then offered me a job on the spot. It was very quick. Overall, it was easy and fast.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Katy, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at YMCA (Katy, TX) in June 2015.

Interview

Interview was simple and in an crowded office. Interviewer was very friendly. They did not ask me very many questions and rather described the job to me. The position was not full-time but 30+ hours a week, required before school and after school assignments, and extensive training.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at YMCA (New York, NY) in June 2015.

Interview

Very easy, basically offered me the job on the spot. Asked more about my future goals than why I wanted to work their. Also made me sing a camp song but despite not being able to remember much of the lyrics he/she was still impressed. After the interview I was asked to take a drug test and submit a background check.
    Cons- it took almost 3 weeks to get a call back.

Anonymous Employee in Murfreesboro, TN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at YMCA (Murfreesboro, TN) in January 2015.

Interview

It was pretty easy. The was one on one and they just asked the basic questions. We talked a lot but the interviewer was really nice. She made me feel comfortable. It did take long when trying to get an interview. They called me back pretty fast. I have learned that the YMCA, Fun Company is always hiring.

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at YMCA (Houston, TX) in December 2014.

Interview

I received a call in about a week I believe. Background check takes about a month I believe, which I think is pretty long. Pretty straight forward and easy process.

Interview Questions

• If I were in a salad, what would I be?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at YMCA (Miami, FL).

Interview

I applied online and they called me saying they had positions open in three different locations that were near me and in nicer areas. I arrived at the Greater Miami Headquarters for my interview 15 minutes early. A woman asked who I was supposed to be meeting with, but they never told me over the phone. I waited a bit, and then a woman handed me an application for me to fill out, which I had already done online. Clearly they were not prepared for me to be there. I entered the busy room and some younger girls laughed and stared at me for whatever reason. The woman escorting me had no idea where to hold this interview and wandered the room and settled on someone else's desk, whose owner repeatedly came to grab something or use his computer throughout the interview. She asked good questions, but didn't seem to follow a protocol--just questions off the top of her head. Then she offered me positions that were no where near the locations that were offered to me on the phone, not to mention very out of my way. They need more organization and consistency; I was very turned off.

Interview Questions

• What would your last supervisor say about you? What was the greatest moment from your last job? Why do you want to work for the YMCA?   Answer Question

Turned off by company's disorganization and inconsistency

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at YMCA (New York, NY) in September 2014.

Interview

Very simple. It was one on one with the supervisor of the off site school. It took about 25-30 minutes. It was a quick session that I was that I botched because I was really nervous. In the end, I just spoke from the heart and spoke about my own personal experiences with the YMCA growing up. I think that is what helped me in this interview.

Interview Questions

• What does the YMCA mean to you? How would you describe it ?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Summit, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at YMCA (Summit, NJ) in August 2014.

Interview

Very casual in-person interview. You will probably meet with the Director or one of the managers. They go through the importance of working with school-aged children, and have a tour of the facility. They want to make sure that you can handle the stress and business that is working with several school-aged children.