YMCA Camp Counselor Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 7, 2018

2.1

43 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at YMCA (Baltimore, MD) in June 2014.

Interview

I filled out and application online. a few days later I received and email about an interview. Once I got to their association building there were about 8 other people waiting in the room. We had to fill out a paper with some questions. From then on someone came into the room and called us individually. Once called i was escorted to a room where my one-on-one interview took place where we discussed the q&a sheet I filled out, and went over my reference letters. Easy simple questions. From then I was left in the room about 5 minutes then told I would go upstairs to start my process meaning they would like to hire me on the spot.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for YMCA

Camp Counselor Interview

Interview

varies depending on whether you are applying as a former camper/American or through Camp America as an international applicant. I had no interview, just a written application, but had been a camper there so they were familiar with me.

Anonymous Employee in Laurens, SC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at YMCA (Laurens, SC) in June 2011.

Interview

It was simple, one-on-one. There was no tough questions. Most of the question surrounded around children, camp and activities I was aware of from he YMCA organization. Other questions involved my training in CPR and lifeguarding. If you had not had CPR and First Aide training then you were told of classes that you could take at the YMCA to get certified. It's mandatory that all camp counselor employees have those certifications. The interview was short, not formal, very casual. I'm not sure if references were called or not but the application did ask for them. The interview lasted around 15 minutes, most of that casual chatter. The hiring manager was extremely kind and not at all intense. There was no real pressure.

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at YMCA (Boston, MA).

Interview

My fourth and most recent summer working for them, I applied online and never heard back until I called my boss from the previous year to ask what happened. I then had to submit application paperwork about 2.5 times before I was officially hired.

Interview Questions

• There was no interview any year I worked there. It was odd.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiating the salary. You either get what they offer, or they pick someone who will. (They have a very limited budget being a non profit and they care less about part time employees.)

Anonymous Employee in Plainfield, NJ

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at YMCA (Plainfield, NJ) in June 2015.

Interview

I filled out the application and received a call for the interview about 2 weeks later. The interview wasn't too difficult. They just wanted to make sure you had a real interest in working with children since being a camp counselor could be difficult.

Anonymous Employee in Putnam Valley, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at YMCA (Putnam Valley, NY).

Interview

I signed up for an unpaid CIT position the following summer. After successfully proving myself, I filled out a paper application. I was contacted the next day and scheduled an interview. The interview itself was very nonchalant and relaxed. At the end of the interview, I was told that I would be receiving a letter of acceptance in a few days.

Interview Questions

• "A child has run away from your group of children. You have no one else to watch your group, but there are other staff members nearby. What would you do in this situation?"   1 Answer

Camp Counselor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at YMCA in May 2011.

Interview

I applied via postal mail for a camp counselor position that was advertised online. I was contacted right away for an in-person interview. The interview was with the YMCA Director and the childcare division director. It lasted about

Interview Questions

• What role does religion play in your life?   1 Answer

Camp Counselor Interview

Interview

I first put in an application through email directly to the summer camp coordinator at my location. She emailed me back for an interview promptly (Usually for this position they do group interviews but they had all passed by this time.) I was really nervous for my interview and I actually didn't think it went very well, but I got the job!!

Camp Counselor Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at YMCA.

Interview

Came in for interview, got a phone call, accepted the job!

Interview Questions

• What would you say or do if a couple kids acting liked they had feelings for one another?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Covington, LA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at YMCA (Covington, LA) in April 2013.

Interview

Group interviews and private interviews were part of the process. This allowed the hiring managers to see how well you interact with other potential counselors. The individual portion allowed the hiring manager to get a sense of your goals and expectations for the job.