YMCA Camp Counselor Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 22, 2017

2.1

31 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Camp Counselor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at YMCA.

Interview

There is a large group interview. You are asked to complete various tasks as a group, such as create a camp song, participate in camp games, and act out difficult scenarios that occur at camp.

Interview Questions

• Why would you like to be a camp counselor?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for YMCA

Camp Counselor Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at YMCA.

Interview

it is a 3 year interview process that you must be selected to be a part of. You get to apply as a camper and then the pick about half the applicants to continue through their internship training. It is a long interview and at the end they take less than 10% of the total applicants. If you aren't good with people then don't even bother. You will not get the job.

Interview Questions

• no questions, they assess the way you work by being with you for 3 summers.   Answer Question

Camp Counselor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at YMCA.

Interview

Group Interview. Different scenarios are set up and group exercises. You really have to be outgoing and make yourself stand out in the crowd. Lots of singing and dancing.

Interview Questions

• Experience working with children   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at YMCA (New York, NY).

Interview

The interview was fairly brief. I spoke with one of the managers about my previous experiences at summer/day camps. The interviewer was very nice and I was offered the job right away.

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at YMCA (Atlanta, GA).

Interview

Met face to face. Lasted 10 minutes. Asked generic questions. Most dealt with experience with children and character questions. I already knew people from a previous sports team I had played on so they hired me based off of previous knowledge of who I was.

Interview Questions

• Are you able to work 40 hrs a week over the summer, outside, with kids?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at YMCA (Fort Lauderdale, FL) in May 2016.

Interview

Ask situational questions, Should dress professional. Also, make sure you are able to explain how you will handle children if not complying with the rules. Remember you are not allowed to discipline the children

Camp Counselor Interview

Interview

varies depending on whether you are applying as a former camper/American or through Camp America as an international applicant. I had no interview, just a written application, but had been a camper there so they were familiar with me.

Anonymous Employee in Plainfield, NJ

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at YMCA (Plainfield, NJ) in June 2015.

Interview

I filled out the application and received a call for the interview about 2 weeks later. The interview wasn't too difficult. They just wanted to make sure you had a real interest in working with children since being a camp counselor could be difficult.

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at YMCA (Philadelphia, PA) in April 2015.

Interview

Very brief and to the point. Wanted to make sure that I was the right fit for a position such as this one. Also made sure that I was well equipped with all of the clearances needed for this position.

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at YMCA (Boston, MA).

Interview

My fourth and most recent summer working for them, I applied online and never heard back until I called my boss from the previous year to ask what happened. I then had to submit application paperwork about 2.5 times before I was officially hired.

Interview Questions

• There was no interview any year I worked there. It was odd.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiating the salary. You either get what they offer, or they pick someone who will. (They have a very limited budget being a non profit and they care less about part time employees.)