YMCA Camp Counselor Interview Questions | Glassdoor

YMCA Camp Counselor Interview Questions

Updated Mar 20, 2017

2.0

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at YMCA (New York, NY).

Interview

The interview was fairly brief. I spoke with one of the managers about my previous experiences at summer/day camps. The interviewer was very nice and I was offered the job right away.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for YMCA

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at YMCA (Atlanta, GA).

Interview

Met face to face. Lasted 10 minutes. Asked generic questions. Most dealt with experience with children and character questions. I already knew people from a previous sports team I had played on so they hired me based off of previous knowledge of who I was.

Interview Questions

• Are you able to work 40 hrs a week over the summer, outside, with kids?   Answer Question

Camp Counselor Interview

Interview

varies depending on whether you are applying as a former camper/American or through Camp America as an international applicant. I had no interview, just a written application, but had been a camper there so they were familiar with me.

Anonymous Employee in Plainfield, NJ

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at YMCA (Plainfield, NJ) in June 2015.

Interview

I filled out the application and received a call for the interview about 2 weeks later. The interview wasn't too difficult. They just wanted to make sure you had a real interest in working with children since being a camp counselor could be difficult.

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at YMCA (Philadelphia, PA) in April 2015.

Interview

Very brief and to the point. Wanted to make sure that I was the right fit for a position such as this one. Also made sure that I was well equipped with all of the clearances needed for this position.

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at YMCA (Boston, MA).

Interview

My fourth and most recent summer working for them, I applied online and never heard back until I called my boss from the previous year to ask what happened. I then had to submit application paperwork about 2.5 times before I was officially hired.

Interview Questions

• There was no interview any year I worked there. It was odd.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiating the salary. You either get what they offer, or they pick someone who will. (They have a very limited budget being a non profit and they care less about part time employees.)

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at YMCA (Baltimore, MD) in June 2014.

Interview

I filled out and application online. a few days later I received and email about an interview. Once I got to their association building there were about 8 other people waiting in the room. We had to fill out a paper with some questions. From then on someone came into the room and called us individually. Once called i was escorted to a room where my one-on-one interview took place where we discussed the q&a sheet I filled out, and went over my reference letters. Easy simple questions. From then I was left in the room about 5 minutes then told I would go upstairs to start my process meaning they would like to hire me on the spot.

Anonymous Employee in Reading, MA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at YMCA (Reading, MA) in May 2014.

Interview

You are interviewed by both directors of the camp. They ask you basic, straightforward questions. They sat on opposite sides of you so you're not staring directly at them. You are essentially staring at a wall and talking to the side, here and there.

Anonymous Employee in Putnam Valley, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at YMCA (Putnam Valley, NY).

Interview

I signed up for an unpaid CIT position the following summer. After successfully proving myself, I filled out a paper application. I was contacted the next day and scheduled an interview. The interview itself was very nonchalant and relaxed. At the end of the interview, I was told that I would be receiving a letter of acceptance in a few days.

Interview Questions

• "A child has run away from your group of children. You have no one else to watch your group, but there are other staff members nearby. What would you do in this situation?"   1 Answer

Camp Counselor Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at YMCA.

Interview

Came in for interview, got a phone call, accepted the job!

Interview Questions

• What would you say or do if a couple kids acting liked they had feelings for one another?   Answer Question